I drink a lot of soda. Anyone have any suggestions to help cut the soda out??

Options

Replies

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    davisfanny wrote: »
    Most my calories come from drinking soda. MT Dew is my biggest issue. I get headaches from lack of caffeine....

Supplement the caffeine, for sure. I admit I've never been into soda, but I used to crave Red Bull. Try some of the fancy sodas that have Elderflower or Lemongrass. They're expensive, but usually taste like "indulging and are much healthier and lower sugar than standard stuff.

If that's too hardcore, try at least watering down your MD with Club Soda more and more each day until it's pointless to drink it. As long as you're supplementing your caffeine loss with coffee, hot teas, or even cheap drugstore caffeine pills...the combined two methods will hopefully help.

Eventually look into making your own soda-style drinks created by people who love soda like you do and create original, tasty, healthier versions you both enjoy dreaming up...and drinking/sharing with other soda fans.

Just some ideas. Hope they help!
  • norine84
    norine84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Carbonated water, incest in a soda streamer
  • 150_lbs_by_2019
    150_lbs_by_2019 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was finding one of those lipton teas you add to a bottle of water. Just find a flavor that you really like and it makes it a lot easier to kick the soda habit. (I enjoyed, like really, REALLY loved, lipton coconut passionfruit until they discontinued it.)
  • arike11206
    arike11206 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Buy a Sodastream or other machine that makes carbonated water (as suggested by others above) so that you can make as much as you want economically. Add one fluid oz of 100% pure fruit juice like Knudsen Just Blueberry Juice or Just Tart Cherry juice, etc per 12 oz carbonated water. You'd be surprised how little pure juice you need. Also great as an alternative to beer. It makes me think I'm drinking something super fun without the calories or carbs/sugar.
  • sazzynubz
    sazzynubz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I craved fizzy drink when I was pregnant with my 17 year old...I started to drink fizzy water and haven't looked back. Recently I changed to still water. I love water!! Good Luck.
  • ucbear41510
    ucbear41510 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was a hardcore soda drinker... 2-3 a day. I decided to stop drink soda all together and to achieve that I switched to flavored sparkling water like le croix or Dasani sparkling. I did that for a few weeks and then I transitioned to just water. It's been about 6 weeks with no soda. When I do crave something sparkling I indulge in some iced tea from Starbucks. Best of luck!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I cut it out quickly and easily by drinking a glass or two of water before I let myself drink a can of pop. I found a stomach full of water makes me turn my nose at pop quickly after just a sip or two and that swiftly became 'why am I doing this? I don't even want the sip anymore.'
  • LJOMalley
    LJOMalley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    stop buying it....simple
  • kiiibbb112253
    kiiibbb112253 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Whenever you have a craving chew some fat free gum :)
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Jumping in late here, but what I do is that I allow myself Diet Coke (or any other diet soda if DC isn't available) - but every can gets 'chased' with 20oz of water. I do the same thing with coffee. :) Better to enjoy in moderation than deprive yourself, I say!
  • jwcsanders
    jwcsanders Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I drink the occasional Diet Dr. Pepper with cherry. Maybe once every other day. But I flood myself with water. I constantly have my water cup with me. I was a coke junkie though, and originally changed to diet dr. pepper. It was the best "diet" drink I found.
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey the first day after I had to have pain reliever for headaches. But it was worth it and I lost a few pounds. The only time I make caffeine useful now is for my workouts with preworkouts. If you struggle with it that bad cut back slowly and use diet dew it tastes nasty but it'll help cut back and at the point you won't need it. If you have it first thing in the morning replace it with coffee or green or black tea.Then if you feel like you need a sweet drink later on in the day use sparkling water, flavored water or fruity tea.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Replace with sparkling water if palatable. Otherwise stir a bit of cordial into it - it's not ideal, but probably has less sugar than a bottle of mountain dew.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'll also suggest a SodaStream. I just drink the carbonated water and don't even add any flavoring. It just goes down better than plain water. I'll go through 2-3 bottles a night.
  • sodaablue378
    sodaablue378 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Zevia is my favorite alternative to a delicious Cherry Coke or Dr. Pepper. Some of the flavors are a little off, but if you have a health food store that sells them individually (& cold!), it's worth trying out the many flavors. My favorites are their Cream soda & Cherry Cola!
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    As long as it's fit on my calories up I go for it, Not to say I love soda but many people goes for 80/20 80% for healthy food and going 20% for any what you want
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    YaGigi wrote: »
    I used to have a glass of Diet Pepsi every day. It was like an addiction but more likely just a habit developed over years.

I stopped drinking it last year, instead I have water, sometimes sparkling water, with lemons or berries.

You'll feel better and your skin and hair will look so much better once you cut all those t nasty things out.

What nasty things are in diet pepsi that aren't in sparkling water with lemons?

I'm sorry you even have to ask this question. I'm sure you know the answer as the research is widely available and doctors talk about this none stop (at least in my country).

Diet Pepsi is full of chemicals and artificial sweetening. Your body doesn't need this at all and can be very damaging.
    Just pure water (with lemons and mint, or berries to add some taste) instead is necessary for healthy functioning of your body.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    YaGigi wrote: »
    I used to have a glass of Diet Pepsi every day. It was like an addiction but more likely just a habit developed over years.

I stopped drinking it last year, instead I have water, sometimes sparkling water, with lemons or berries.

You'll feel better and your skin and hair will look so much better once you cut all those t nasty things out.

I went from 4-5+ cans of diet soda a day to now drinking none-1 a day and nothing magical has happened to my skin or hair, and I feel the exact same as I did before, (which matches up to my experience when I've cut it out before).

Well, it's not a magic trick for all the problems but it's a step forward. And maybe there are other issues contributing to you feeling down?

I've always been pretty healthy and eaten pretty healthy but my skin and hair can be on a dry side. So with eliminating Soda from my routine I've noticed a significant difference. Nothing else changed in my routine, meaning skincare or supplements.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I drink at least two 16 oz bottles of coke zero a day sometimes more. I've lost over 200lbs and my health markers are the best they have ever been.
  • mikelombardo078
    mikelombardo078 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally just quit cold turkey, haven't had a sip in over a year. If it's that huge of a part of your daily calories then hold yourself accountable and cut back so you can fit it in your daily life. Honestly after some time you won't miss it.