I drink a lot of soda. Anyone have any suggestions to help cut the soda out??

Options

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Drink beer it does more for you!!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    davisfanny wrote: »
    Most my calories come from drinking soda. MT Dew is my biggest issue. I get headaches from lack of caffeine....

Supplement the caffeine, for sure. I admit I've never been into soda, but I used to crave Red Bull. Try some of the fancy sodas that have Elderflower or Lemongrass. They're expensive, but usually taste like "indulging and are much healthier and lower sugar than standard stuff.

If that's too hardcore, try at least watering down your MD with Club Soda more and more each day until it's pointless to drink it. As long as you're supplementing your caffeine loss with coffee, hot teas, or even cheap drugstore caffeine pills...the combined two methods will hopefully help.

Eventually look into making your own soda-style drinks created by people who love soda like you do and create original, tasty, healthier versions you both enjoy dreaming up...and drinking/sharing with other soda fans.

Just some ideas. Hope they help!

Alternately, try the caffeinated Mio or crystal lite. It's not Mt Dew, so it's an entirely different flavor... Give it 2-3 weeks, then switch to the Diet Dew.

Or you could stay with the flavored waters... which are less expensive than soda.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try flavored seltzer water for your carbonation fix and then something else for caffeine. Extra coffee, tea, or maybe try Dextro Energy (pure glucose).
  • Aniston_T
    Aniston_T Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Besides sugar being addicting it also becomes a habit to drink something cold sweet and carbonated. To overcome a "bad" (it's not necessarily bad) habit you need to replace it with another better habit that is equally satisfying. I agree with the posts that say that you can get your caffeine from coffee or tea (maybe even cold ones if it's more satisfying for you) and then try and drink ice cold carbonated (soda) water with some flavour (tea or other) for your sweet carbonated fix. There are many ways to flavour water my favorite is lemon ice tea which can be as sweet or as light as you like depending on how much you add. Most have no calories too.
  • Silinde
    Silinde Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you're not comfortable on cutting it completely all at once, try diluting it with normal water or sprinkling water for a while, increasing the amount of water gradually. When you're at a reasonable low of soda, start replacing a glass of soda by a glass of water or a cup of herbal tea until you've stopped drinking soda altogether.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Most my calories come from drinking soda. MT Dew is my biggest issue. I get headaches from lack of caffeine....

My advice is to cut it out of your diet. Full-sugar pop is an addictive poison. Go cold turkey and drink a lot of La Croix or carbonated water w/ a little bit of fruit juice for the sweet. Your first few days are going to suck -- because your body is used to pulling quick energy from your regular corn syrup infusions, and it'll have to go looking for that energy elsewhere!
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »

My advice is to cut it out of your diet. Full-sugar pop is an addictive poison. Go cold turkey and drink a lot of La Croix or carbonated water w/ a little bit of fruit juice for the sweet. Your first few days are going to suck -- because your body is used to pulling quick energy from your regular corn syrup infusions, and it'll have to go looking for that energy elsewhere!

Don't listen to stuff like this. just like any other addictive substance, caffeine, nicotine, heroin, etc, unless you're in a clinical environment don't go cold turkey.
  • Hypsibius
    Options

Don't listen to stuff like this. just like any other addictive substance, caffeine, nicotine, heroin, etc, unless you're in a clinical environment don't go cold turkey.

Fair point. I can only say what worked for me. Seltzer and juice provided that bit of sugar I was craving -- I do recommend that option as a replacement drink while you're cutting back.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions to help cut the soda out??

Start mixing half diet soda with the regular soda. You cut the soda calories in half. Then start cutting down cup sizes. I used to drink a few 44 ounce Pepsi's a day and weened myself off as mentioned. After doing the diet soda mix I cut down to 32 ounce cups, then 24 ounce (meant not going to the local Circle K or QT cuz they sell no small cups!), and then started trying to skip days. Took a bit but I don't drink soda often at all anymore.
  • Hypsibius
    edited May 2017
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Full sugar soda is neither an addiction nor a poison.

Sources? I used to think this, too -- but started doing research. My understanding: if you're binging several sugar sodas per day, each one is nearly double the AHA's recommended added sugar a human should consume in a single day. Regular sugar is addictive, affects the brain's reward system, and leaves you hungry and craving more.

If it isn't addictive, you think it'd be easy for anyone to give up :/.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    YaGigi wrote: »
    I used to have a glass of Diet Pepsi every day. It was like an addiction but more likely just a habit developed over years.

I stopped drinking it last year, instead I have water, sometimes sparkling water, with lemons or berries.

You'll feel better and your skin and hair will look so much better once you cut all those t nasty things out.

What nasty things are in diet pepsi that aren't in sparkling water with lemons?

I'm sorry you even have to ask this question. I'm sure you know the answer as the research is widely available and doctors talk about this none stop (at least in my country).

Diet Pepsi is full of chemicals and artificial sweetening. Your body doesn't need this at all and can be very damaging.
    Just pure water (with lemons and mint, or berries to add some taste) instead is necessary for healthy functioning of your body.

What chemicals and how much of them? Which artificial sweeteners how much of them and how can they be damaging or even very damaging?

The damaging of those pop drinks are well known and doctors have been recommending to stay away from them for years. If you really need some information, go visit your doctor and ask him.

• merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What worked for me was doing Whole30. It's pretty extreme but it definitely changed my palette. I still love sugar but I don't crave it like I use to. The best result for me was that I finally gave up soda. It's been over a year. I've had one Dr Pepper that I didn't even finish. I tried a Diet Dr Pepper (which was my preferred drink before) and it gave me a terrible headache. I personally recommend the whole 30 for people who want to cut sugar cravings, eat more fruits and vegetables and/or change your palette. Looking back, it was an important step for me to really get serious about loosing weight. It's not really a weight loss diet but it definitely an important tool that helped reshape my eating habits.
    Edited to add that I used flavored sparkling water and iced green tea to get through the whole30.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Full sugar soda is neither an addiction nor a poison.

Well that's just denial. If you're binging several sugar sodas per day, each one is nearly double the AHA's recommended added sugar a human should consume in a single day. Regular sugar is addictive, affects the brain's reward system, and leaves you hungry and craving more.

Odd you're posting this on a thread where the OP is literally struggling with cutting it out of her diet... if it isn't addictive, you think it'd be easy for anyone to give up.

The OP is struggling because she is addicted to caffeine.. which is socially and medically acceptable. Yes caffeine is an addictive poison, but it is one we have accepted the consequences vs risks of.

Your comments about sugar are neither accurate nor beneficial.
  • Hypsibius
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I used to have a glass of Diet Pepsi every day. It was like an addiction but more likely just a habit developed over years.

I stopped drinking it last year, instead I have water, sometimes sparkling water, with lemons or berries.

You'll feel better and your skin and hair will look so much better once you cut all those t nasty things out.

I'm sorry you even have to ask this question. I'm sure you know the answer as the research is widely available and doctors talk about this none stop (at least in my country).

Diet Pepsi is full of chemicals and artificial sweetening. Your body doesn't need this at all and can be very damaging.
    Just pure water (with lemons and mint, or berries to add some taste) instead is necessary for healthy functioning of your body.

What chemicals and how much of them? Which artificial sweeteners how much of them and how can they be damaging or even very damaging?

The damaging of those pop drinks are well known and doctors have been recommending to stay away from them for years. If you really need some information, go visit your doctor and ask him.

Not to mention, there was a time when the nation's leading scientists assured us all that lead was completely healthy for humans to consume. Lobbies are powerful. People who spoke out were shamed and defunded. The industry fought labeling and education tooth and nail.

Are people so blind to think this no longer happens?
  • MadriverDell
    MadriverDell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Diet soda. Once you get used to it, it becomes the default taste you prefer and you will HATE the taste of regular soda.

Same thing with sugar in coffee. Once you make the switch to an artificial sweetener (if you can't stand the taste of unsweetened coffee), you will prefer it to regular sugar.

I'd rather do without my coffee or soda if I had to have the sugar-sweetened versions.

I prefer asparatame (which is not a killer, folks).
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Oh darling, I'm not wasting my time on your passive aggressive nonsense. The damaging of those pop drinks are well known and doctors have been recommending to stay away from them for years. If you really need some information, go visit your doctor and ask him.

And now you can go drink some Soda. Hopefully it'll take you off the fence.

Not to mention, there was a time when the nation's leading scientists assured us all that lead was completely healthy for humans to consume. Lobbies are powerful. People who spoke out were shamed and defunded. The industry fought labeling and education tooth and nail.

Are people so blind to think this no longer happens?

Exactly.
    I'm not up to date to the marketing trends of the Soda industry in the States but they seem to be doing great job if some people think that chemical drink is as healthy as water. European doctors are strongly against Soda. Period.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    As to the OP, you will just have to find a way. I cut full sugar pop cold turkey last September, but have always had my coffee black so I didn't have a lack of caffeine or any withdrawal symptoms. And my coffee is close enough to 0 calories for me to not bother logging it.

If you can't go cold turkey, then just cut back over time. But be sure to log it and account for the calories.

And ignore the fear-mongering.
  • TravisinCanada
    TravisinCanada Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I follow a Ketogenic diet, this is what I drink.
    It is not diet soda it is sweetened with Stevia.

https://zevia.com/products/soda