How do competitive eaters stay so thin?!

I'm really intrigued by competitive eaters and how they stay so thin. They only do events once or twice a month but still....they take in anywhere between 10,000 and 30,000 (if not more). And here i am after some weekends of overeating by maybe 1000 trying to undo damage done lol. That alone takes a couple days to a week to get the water weight off! Anyone else wonder about these people and how they do it?!?!

Replies

• PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Not sure about all competitive eaters, but in Japan they are usually under medical supervision and include exercise into their daily routines to make sure they keep healthy.

- To clarify - I don't know if this is true for all of them in Japan, but the pros usually do this.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Maybe they are very physically active, eg. Erik the Electric.

People don't get fat from acute overeating once/twice a month, they get fat from overeating on a daily basis.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Do they reguritate afterward? I would.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Do they reguritate afterward? I would.

Not the ones I know. At least not on purpose.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I would imagine that if you ate that much in a short amount of time, your digestive system would not be able to handle it and would "reject" a good portion of it...one way or another.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Only competitive eaters I've ever seen here in Australia are the Americans on pay tv channels and those dudes are like 400lb rednecks so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    When Adam Richmond had that Man vs Food show he definitely got fat over the seasons. I saw him on tv recently and he seems to be a healthy weight now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    When Adam Richmond had that Man vs Food show he definitely got fat over the seasons. I saw him on tv recently and he seems to be a healthy weight now.

He was the first one that came to mind. I always thought that guy was a heart attack waiting to happen while watching Man Vs Food.
  • petersimon69
    petersimon69 Posts: 1 Member
    Workout diligently everyday and you can have a cheat day once a week
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    I've honestly always assumed most of them are hitting the ipecac syrup hard once they get home. Can you imagine the damn pain? Ugggh
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I've honestly always assumed most of them are hitting the ipecac syrup hard once they get home. Can you imagine the damn pain? Ugggh

That's what i thought too. What goes in, comes straight back out asap.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Shocks me, look up Matt stone. Skinny as a stick and can plow down mass amounts of food.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Shocks me, look up Matt stone. Skinny as a stick and can plow down mass amounts of food.

Yeah Matt Stonie and Erik the electric were first that came to my mind!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,975 Member
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

That why they later changed the program so that he didn't have to eat all of that food. Later episodes had him recruiting local talent to eat the food instead.

Don't think the program is on anymore but now there's a new program called "Ginormous Food" on the Food Channel where the host goes to places what produce obscenely large food products but he doesn't eat them -- he shares the food with people who are on the location at the time of the filming.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Like everyone else, they abide by the irrefutable laws of calorie balance.

If they aren't gaining weight, then over a sustained period they are consuming maintenance calories.
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member

I love watching his videos. He’s insane with what he can get down. The pizza video (a family pizza meal deal like 5 large pizzas and sides) and the massive burrito ones were my favourites. #fooddreams
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    Like everyone else, they abide by the irrefutable laws of calorie balance.

If they aren't gaining weight, then over a sustained period they are consuming maintenance calories.

This.

Many fast and/or stagger calories over the week. There are also a handful that put the energy to good use in the form of exercise as well.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member

Watch ETE's youtube. He trains a lot, often w/ extremely long bike rides and a long leg workout before his eating challenges etc.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    tmpecus78 wrote: »

Watch ETE's youtube. He trains a lot, often w/ extremely long bike rides and a long leg workout before his eating challenges etc.

I know he trains a lot, so in his case, maybe you really CAN out-train a bad diet lol