I drink a lot of soda. Anyone have any suggestions to help cut the soda out??

Options

Replies

• beckamomto3
    beckamomto3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy Zevia? I have never seen it and is it in the same section as pop? I have used Stevia in tea but have never seen it in pop.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    YaGigi wrote: »
    I used to have a glass of Diet Pepsi every day. It was like an addiction but more likely just a habit developed over years.

I stopped drinking it last year, instead I have water, sometimes sparkling water, with lemons or berries.

You'll feel better and your skin and hair will look so much better once you cut all those t nasty things out.

What nasty things are in diet pepsi that aren't in sparkling water with lemons?

I'm sorry you even have to ask this question. I'm sure you know the answer as the research is widely available and doctors talk about this none stop (at least in my country).

Diet Pepsi is full of chemicals and artificial sweetening. Your body doesn't need this at all and can be very damaging.
    Just pure water (with lemons and mint, or berries to add some taste) instead is necessary for healthy functioning of your body.

What chemicals and how much of them? Which artificial sweeteners how much of them and how can they be damaging or even very damaging?

Oh darling, I'm not wasting my time on your passive aggressive nonsense. The damaging of those pop drinks are well known and doctors have been recommending to stay away from them for years. If you really need some information, go visit your doctor and ask him.

And now you can go drink some Soda. Hopefully it'll take you off the fence.

I still see no sources backing up your claims.
  • inkedandfancy
    inkedandfancy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I drank soda constantly almost all day everyday and one day decided to quit cold turkey, very much like quitting smoking. I drink hot tea in the morning if I need caffeine (cause I don't like coffee) and I keep my fridge stocked with ICE carbonated flavored water when I want something flavored and carbonated. They are delicious and water and carbonated! Win-win-win! You can pick them up at Costco 18 pk/$10! They have been a life saver! I have been soda free now for a little over 2 months I think and I don't miss it at all! Good luck, darlin! Add me if you'd like :)
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of soda. I started drinking black coffee at work and I will have one can of my favorite soda in the evening as a treat. I'm finding I often forget to have it now
  • TravisinCanada
    TravisinCanada Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy Zevia? I have never seen it and is it in the same section as pop? I have used Stevia in tea but have never seen it in pop.

They have a search tool on their website that tells you the locations around your zip code / postal code that it is available. We have a number of grocery stores that carry it where I live, however some of them put it in the soda isle and others put it in the "health food" section.

https://zevia.com/locate
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Flavored sparkling water, that is if you can stomach the aspartame.

I'm trying to figure out what the significant difference is between flavored, artificially sweetened sparkling water and diet soda, and why the former would be any better than the latter.

As I get older I am having issues with soda, diet or otherwise. Well, rather my skin disagrees with Carmel and artificial coloring used in colas ect. However at times i want a sweetened bubbly drink, I drink seltzer mostly but sometimes I like to break the monotony of water, seltzer, coffee or tea as I do not indulge in juice unless I squeeze it myself. Aspartame can have a diuretic effect or in some cases even loosen stool hence can you stomach the the aspartame?

• 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Flavored sparkling water, that is if you can stomach the aspartame.

Not all has sweetener.

If it has no sweetener then she may as well drink flavored seltzer I suggested the sweetened sparkling water as an alternative to soda.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
  • charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut it out enough, you will... Sorry but it's as simple as that.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I'm not obligated to educate anyone, especially if these requests are made in such a derogatory manner. If you are really interested in finding why water is healthier than soda, you can ask your doctor.

As for the OP question, I'm just going to repeat my suggestion of adding fresh lemons and maybe mint leaves to your sparkling water. It'll make it easier to switch to the regular water later. Staying hydrated is very important.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I'm not obligated to educate anyone, especially if these requests are made in such a derogatory manner. If you are really interested in finding why water is healthier than soda, you can ask your doctor.

As for the OP question, I'm just going to repeat my suggestion of adding fresh lemons and maybe mint leaves to your sparkling water. It'll make it easier to switch to the regular water later. Staying hydrated is very important.

So your recommendation is to add sweeteners and acids to water in order to make it taste better... sort of like diet soda.

Your inability to understand the difference is unfortunate. Your inability to substantiate your position is likewise unfortunate.
  • YaGigi
    edited May 2017
    Options

So your recommendation is to add sweeteners and acids to water in order to make it taste better... sort of like diet soda.

Your inability to understand the difference is unfortunate. Your inability to substantiate your position is likewise unfortunate.

I suggested adding sweeteners?
    No. I suggested adding some fresh lemon and fresh mint leaves. They might add some acid to water but more importantly add vitamins and some taste that the OP craves. Yet they're natural and healthy options.

Please stop with your offensive talk. If you continue attacking me, I'll report your harassment to the moderators.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    I used to have a glass of Diet Pepsi every day. It was like an addiction but more likely just a habit developed over years.

I stopped drinking it last year, instead I have water, sometimes sparkling water, with lemons or berries.

You'll feel better and your skin and hair will look so much better once you cut all those t nasty things out.

I'm sorry you even have to ask this question. I'm sure you know the answer as the research is widely available and doctors talk about this none stop (at least in my country).

Diet Pepsi is full of chemicals and artificial sweetening. Your body doesn't need this at all and can be very damaging.
    Just pure water (with lemons and mint, or berries to add some taste) instead is necessary for healthy functioning of your body.

What chemicals and how much of them? Which artificial sweeteners how much of them and how can they be damaging or even very damaging?

Oh darling, I'm not wasting my time on your passive aggressive nonsense. The damaging of those pop drinks are well known and doctors have been recommending to stay away from them for years. If you really need some information, go visit your doctor and ask him.

Not to mention, there was a time when the nation's leading scientists assured us all that lead was completely healthy for humans to consume. Lobbies are powerful. People who spoke out were shamed and defunded. The industry fought labeling and education tooth and nail.

Are people so blind to think this no longer happens?

Exactly.
    I'm not up to date to the marketing trends of the Soda industry in the States but they seem to be doing great job if some people think that chemical drink is as healthy as water. European doctors are strongly against Soda. Period.

European doctors are also strongly against GMO. contributing to the continued famine in various African countries.

So European doctors have a LOT of credibility to regain before I'm even kinda interested in what they have to say.

Darling, you should eat all the GMOs and drink all that soda if you want it! It's your life and your freedom.

I personally wouldn't feed it even to my dogs, although I doubt they'd eat it.

When I did live in the states, I couldn't eat non organic and gmo food, it tasted too plastic to me. So I spent a lot of money in organic stores to have the taste I was used to all my life. But to each their own.

[emphasis added by me]

Not going to wade into the soda wars as they've been done to death before . . .

However, I would very much like to see some dogs that, given the opportunity to scarf on some GMO food, would turn away in disgust!

LOL, Dog's recycle their own food... Generally not picky eaters
  • YaGigi
    Options

I suggested adding sweeteners?
    No. I suggested adding some fresh lemon and fresh mint leaves. They might add some acid to water but more importantly add vitamins and some taste that the OP craves. Yet they're natural and healthy options.

Please stop with your offensive talk. If you continue attacking me, I'll report your harassment to the moderators.

First, mint and lemon are sweetening and flavoring agents. so yes, you suggested adding sweeteners.

Second, I've not attacked you. I've attacked your position which is erroneous and deficient. You've provided no support or substantiation for your position despite half a dozen people asking you to.

I don't know what kind and how much of mint and lemon you need to use to make them sweeteners.
    In general, a lemon is about 20 calories, 130% of vitamin C, maybe 1 gram of sugar if you got a really sweet one. I usually add 2-3 pieces of a lemon, so maybe 1/10 of a whole lemon, therefore 2 calories, 13% of vitamin C and 0.1 gram of sugar.
    Honestly, no idea how many calories there are in 2-3 mint leaves, and doubt there's any sugar. I don't eat mint, just add it for the fresh smell.
    That's the way I enjoy my water at home or at restaurants, but usually I just have plain still water.

If you prefer diet Soda and gmo food, or whatever else, go ahead and drink and eat whatever you desire. None of my concern.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Hypsibius wrote: »

Not to mention, there was a time when the nation's leading scientists assured us all that lead was completely healthy for humans to consume. Lobbies are powerful. People who spoke out were shamed and defunded. The industry fought labeling and education tooth and nail.

Are people so blind to think this no longer happens?

Exactly.
    I'm not up to date to the marketing trends of the Soda industry in the States but they seem to be doing great job if some people think that chemical drink is as healthy as water. European doctors are strongly against Soda. Period.

European doctors are also strongly against GMO. contributing to the continued famine in various African countries.

So European doctors have a LOT of credibility to regain before I'm even kinda interested in what they have to say.

Darling, you should eat all the GMOs and drink all that soda if you want it! It's your life and your freedom.

I personally wouldn't feed it even to my dogs, although I doubt they'd eat it.

When I did live in the states, I couldn't eat non organic and gmo food, it tasted too plastic to me. So I spent a lot of money in organic stores to have the taste I was used to all my life. But to each their own.

[emphasis added by me]

Not going to wade into the soda wars as they've been done to death before . . .

However, I would very much like to see some dogs that, given the opportunity to scarf on some GMO food, would turn away in disgust!

Ok, lol, I must admit, my dogs have a very privileged life, and often refuse food, they're spoiled brats. Two boys can easily refuse meat and chicken, girls eat better. It created some problems when we had to train them. They went hungry for 3 days before they started paying attention to the dog trainer with treats in his hand.

But that's very off topic.
  • jjulliee
    jjulliee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My two cents: just stop drinking it. Drink plain filtered water and unsweetened coffee or tea. If your goal is long-term health, regardless of what some studies say about soda being safe (?), then do that for yourself. Before getting really hardcore, I made a change which cut out artificial sweeteners, high-fructose corn syrup, and soda. Before even starting my current exercise regime and current clean (for lack of a better) eating habits, I noticed positive differences like less overall puffiness, reduced heartburn, and light weight loss.
  • jjulliee
    jjulliee Posts: 40 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Maybe because a biochemist knows more about chemistry than a random doctor?
    Maybe because all the actual science says they're completely harmless?
    Even the European ones.
    https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/corporate/pub/factsheetaspartame
    Like, the big, really really big European authority on food safety.[/quote]

But why is it so important to you that people drink soda? Those of us who prefer not to aren't hurting anyone but the large beverage companies... and really not hurting them that much, based on on the people I see drinking soda.