neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    chakug wrote: »
    Age -23 M
    Starting Weight - 88 kg
    Current weight - 57 kg
    Height - 158 cm
    Waist - 29"
    I have lost 31 kgs in around 10-11 months but I still have some belly fat to go.
    People say I look like a sick person, very ugly and weird after losing weight, that my cheeks look sunken. I believe this problem is because eating in deficit for long time.
    And I want to get 6 pack for which I obviously need to keep losing fat.
    What should I do ? Keep going towards my ultimate goal ? Or stop and maintain weight/build muscle ?
    What can I do to fix my cheeks ?
    First, congrats on the loss!
    If it makes you feel any better, I don't think your cheeks look sunken in at all. You look normal. If you read around here on MFP, many people who've lost weight are told they look sickly even BEFORE they hit a healthy weight. People just need time to adjust to the thinner you.
    Also, I'm pretty sure the first responder read too fast. At 57 kg and 5'2", you are most certainly not too thin, which is again confirmed by the pictures your posted.
    I also vote for recomp.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Science says it is not possible.

Broscience, not real science. It does become increasingly harder the more muscle you gain and more fat you lose, but it's certainly not impossible until you're very lean. OP is not very lean.

• chakug
    chakug Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Age -23 M
    Starting Weight - 88 kg
    Current weight - 57 kg
    Height - 158 cm
    Waist - 29"
    I have lost 31 kgs in around 10-11 months but I still have some belly fat to go.
    People say I look like a sick person, very ugly and weird after losing weight, that my cheeks look sunken. I believe this problem is because eating in deficit for long time.
    What should I do ? Keep going towards my ultimate goal ? Or stop and maintain weight/build muscle ?
    If it makes you feel any better, I don't think your cheeks look sunken in at all. You look normal. If you read around here on MFP, many people who've lost weight are told they look sickly even BEFORE they hit a healthy weight. People just need time to adjust to the thinner you.
    Also, I'm pretty sure the first responder read too fast. At 57 kg and 5'2", you are most certainly not too thin, which is again confirmed by the pictures your posted.
    I also vote for recomp.

It doesn't make me feel any better haha. I wasn't any good looking person before losing weight or even before gaining weight but I still I had hoped I would at least look like a normal human being after losing weight. Its so disappointing and demotivating having lost much weight and people congratulating me on losing weight but ending their sentence with " you look very bad your face/cheek has sunken"
    As most of you have suggested, I have decided to eat at maintenance calories and lift weight/little cardio. Hope it fixes my issues.
    Thanks everyone for your kind reply. It helped a lot.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think, like others above, a recomp would be ideal.
    Here is a thread about it, have a read.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Eat at maintenance, this includes your exercise calories, and lift heavy.

If you don't have a programme to follow choose one of these.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You need the Gaining Weight and Body Building Forum.

You are too thin.

To get rid of the belly and improve overall form you need to eat more and build muscle.

Once the muscle is satisfactory you can diet again.

What? OP is well within the normal weight range for 158 cm height. Where do you get the idea that he's too thin?

Having seen pictures, he's not too thin. He could do recomp and get more muscle definition if he chooses to, but he is clearly not underweight at all.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat, lift, profit.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Age -23 M
    Starting Weight - 88 kg
    Current weight - 57 kg
    Height - 158 cm
    Waist - 29"
    I also vote for recomp.

It doesn't make me feel any better haha. I wasn't any good looking person before losing weight or even before gaining weight but I still I had hoped I would at least look like a normal human being after losing weight. Its so disappointing and demotivating having lost much weight and people congratulating me on losing weight but ending their sentence with " you look very bad your face/cheek has sunken"
    As most of you have suggested, I have decided to eat at maintenance calories and lift weight/little cardio. Hope it fixes my issues.
    Thanks everyone for your kind reply. It helped a lot.

Aww. Don't be so hard on yourself! I promise I'm not trying to be nice. You *do* look normal. There's nothing off about your looks at all, and you're nowhere near the level of the Hunchback of Notre Dame. If you approached me in pursuit of romantic interests, you'd be fair game. Listen to @PAV8888. Normal isn't bad, but if you want to go beyond normal, it will take some work.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all the weight loss! I think you look great.

Try not to let what others say bother you. You have succeeded at something that they may not be able to do themselves. With that - I agree with what most of the others have already said.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Age -23 M
    Starting Weight - 88 kg
    Current weight - 57 kg
    Height - 158 cm
    Waist - 29"

If you're 57kg and have belly fat then damn man, I'm 70kg and I got no belly, you need to build muscle because obviously you lost "weight" not "fat" abs are all about bodyfat % not about your weight. since you don't hit the gym, you can do build muscle and lose fat at the same time, what you need to do is, go into 250 calorie deficit and follow a weight lifting routine and up your protein to 30%

You lost weight in a unhealthy way and lost majority of your muscle, but you can regain it soon enough, just go into a slight deficit and build muscle and you'll manage to get it soon

Aside from newbie gains-no you will not gain muscle in a deficit.

You're denying something I've been doing for a year now. you can if you maintain a positive nitrogen balance which you recover, take enough protein.

Yep, it gets parroted like crazy around here but it simply isn't true for most people. Heck, if it was, recomp wouldn't work either yet it does so obviously it is entirely possible to build muscle while losing fat. Bulking just makes it easier.

Btw, +1 on the recommendation for recomp. Just eat at maintainence + your exercise calories and hit the weights.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Age -23 M
    Starting Weight - 88 kg
    Current weight - 57 kg
    Height - 158 cm
    Waist - 29"

If you're 57kg and have belly fat then damn man, I'm 70kg and I got no belly, you need to build muscle because obviously you lost "weight" not "fat" abs are all about bodyfat % not about your weight. since you don't hit the gym, you can do build muscle and lose fat at the same time, what you need to do is, go into 250 calorie deficit and follow a weight lifting routine and up your protein to 30%

You lost weight in a unhealthy way and lost majority of your muscle, but you can regain it soon enough, just go into a slight deficit and build muscle and you'll manage to get it soon

Aside from newbie gains-no you will not gain muscle in a deficit.

You're denying something I've been doing for a year now. you can if you maintain a positive nitrogen balance which you recover, take enough protein.

Science says it is not possible.

Sorry but that's utter nonsense.

Yes an excessive deficit can take away the possibility of muscle gain but it's extremely well known some muscle can be added at a moderate deficit.
    Obviously not as fast or effective at building muscle at maintenance or in a surplus and may well be limited in amount but to say it's impossible is completely wrong.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything already said. You look "normal." Get on a structured lifting program, eat a little above maintenance for a few months to bulk a bit, then eat a little below maintenance to cut the fluff. If you start lifting and eating the right amount, I think you could look fantastic.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You don't look sick or weird to me, but if these comments are coming from people who knew you before your weight loss they're comparing the now you to the then you. If you feel better about yourself, ignore them. I would go with what other people here have recommended, start lifting to gain muscle mass. You don't have to get huge, but you can certainly get strong. That will also help take care of what little belly fat you have.
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Don't overthink it and overthink comments from people who knew you when you were bigger.

You look... are you ready for this?.... err.... you look.... em.... normal.

You know. Not ripped. Not fat.
    Not... well anything other than... normal.

I know. Normal is not exceptional like our buddy from Cairo in the thread. But, well, normal is not that bad you know....

So work on improving? Why not!

But disappointed?

I think you're taking away from your very real success.

Yeah, sensitive people from the internet in 2017, Why so much hate lol? just for your information I meant no disrespect and me and him messaged and he asked for tips, and probably working now and getting all kinds of gains and I wish him luck :smile:
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes, OP. Ditto to all the positive comments here. You look normal, you're not ugly, you don't have sunken cheeks as far as i can see. Hard to talk about your eyes, since you look down on your pic. It's normal for people around you to say things like that for various reasons, some of them benign, like they're used to you looking chubby, with fuuler face, and overall body. They will get used to new you, give them a little time. As others suggested, do recomp while eat at maintenance. You did great, keep it up, continue to work on it.