Is anyone else trying to loose weight and not exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    When I started I didn't exercise because I needed to focus on changing ONE thing at a time and the food had to come first.
    I LOVE this. I think it's a great idea to start with one thing at a time, as opposed to potentially overwhelming yourself with too many changes all at once.
  • Nswilk
    Nswilk Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I also think that just concentrating on calories right is a good idea. I honestly have zero clue of guessing calories and have paid for it by going over a couple times last week. Saturday was my worse when I ate 6 slices of pizza at 640 calories each. It seems that I have to vigilant on the calories I take in more then the exercise at this point.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 pounds without exercising. I maybe walked twice a week, if that. Then I plateaued around 180. That is when I started exercising. I started doing couch to 5k (c25k). I mixed that with done Jillian Micheals 30 day shred. Then I plataued again around 162. I took one week off from restricting calories ( I still ate healthy.jjust around 1800 net instead of 1200). Then I lowered my net again back to 1200. Then I started Insanity. I am more down to 158. I am also working out 6 dsys a week!

So that is my journey do far!
  • delherts
    delherts Posts: 7
    Options
    i lost 48lbs through both healthy eating and exercise: loosing 5lb in a week is probably water as this is usually is what is first to go: then you stablise. Loosing too much weight too quickly without excercise may leave u with lots of loose skin which is not good.

Exercise will speed up metabolism, lower cholesterol and improve mental well being !

And exercise doesnt have to mean sweating yourself stupid at the gym! go walking, gardening, cleaning (not so fun i know), playing wth the kids....
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is only half the journey towards getting fit. Simple weight loss will not improve your cardiovascular system. Even skinny people can have heart disease and high blood pressure.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You don't *have* to exercise to lose weight, but in the end you'll look better and be fitter which makes it a good thing to do. Plus, you get to eat more! That makes it a no-brainer for me.

I'm still about 20-odd pounds overweight, but I'm in better shape, fitter and look better than I did when I was 9st (about 126 pounds). Then I was definitely 'skinny-fat', I still had a very jiggly body and I couldn't run to save my life.

This time it's different, I can run (only a mile, but I'm so proud of myself) and my body is really toning and getting a nice shape - that's all down to the exercise.

But that doesn't mean you have to start exercising right now - change one thing at a time, maybe down the line when you've lost some more and you have increased energy you might want to do some walking or (my favourite) the 30 Day Shred...

For now, just be proud that you've made a beginning. :flowerforyou:

This x100. And as other people have said, there are so many other benefits to being fit that come through exercise, not diet - knowing you are strong, physically capable, can set goals and achieve them, better mental health, multiple benefits to your physical health mentioned above, and just generally looking and feeling better sooner than you would have with diet changes alone.