And this would be why I am not allowed to cook....

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    We had an electrician friend come in just to be sure I didn't fry anything. Thankfully electricity is fine. We do however need a new microwave-apparently I fried that. Bummer!!!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law burned down the kitchen once boiling water. She thought she had turned the burner with the kettle on high but instead turned on the burner that the pan of bacon grease was on. She went to the other room and, of course, the grease caught on fire. By the time the fire department got there the kitchen was totally gone.

She was banned from using the stove for a very long time.
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    It was supposed to be a breakfast sandwich lol.

I thought it was a piece of fish wrapped in paper towel! I never would have guessed fish.
  • elphie754
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    My sister-in-law burned down the kitchen once boiling water. She thought she had turned the burner with the kettle on high but instead turned on the burner that the pan of bacon grease was on. She went to the other room and, of course, the grease caught on fire. By the time the fire department got there the kitchen was totally gone.

She was banned from using the stove for a very long time.

Oh dear!!!!!!
    elphie754 wrote: »
    It was supposed to be a breakfast sandwich lol.

I thought it was a piece of fish wrapped in paper towel! I never would have guessed fish.

Nope. A gluten free sausage and egg white sandwich from udis.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Awsome! I remember the last cooking accident well.
    I really have to take a leaf out of your book so I can get banned from the kitchen.
    Ugh, I take that back. If I got banned from the kitchen I would have to vacuum and I loathe, hate, and despise, doing that.

Keep up the good work.
    Cheers, h.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Awsome! I remember the last cooking accident well.
    I really have to take a leaf out of your book so I can get banned from the kitchen.
    Ugh, I take that back. If I got banned from the kitchen I would have to vacuum and I loathe, hate, and despise, doing that.

Keep up the good work.
    Cheers, h.

Lol. Cleaning up was not fun. Lots of fans, lots of Clorox wipes and had to evacuate baby and animals for the day to my one SO's brother's house. I don't recommend.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I almost blew up our pressure cooker, I went out to help a neighbor get her cat out of a tree. When I came back, the pressure cooker bottom had bowed out severely. When people say they are afraid of cooking with pressure cookers, I just laugh.
  • elphie754
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    If it helps any, when my older daughter was a baby I was warming up some baby food jars in a pan of water. I wandered off to continue reading a book (this was the basis of a lot of household disasters when I was younger) and of course forgot about the stove. Unfortunately, I had left the lids on the jars, and when the steam built up they exploded :o The ceiling was never the same. Books were banned from the kitchen. My daughters are fully grown and the story is still circulating at family gatherings...

Whoops!
  • elphie754
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    My friend forgot about eggs she was hard boiling on the stove until they burned and started smoking. Her house smelled awful for months!

I did this too. Woke up 6 hours after i put them on to the noise of them exploding.

Ever had to clean burnt exploded egg from your ceiling?

I would love to say ive only forgotten once but after 4 disasters with eggs im banned from boiling them

Oh no! Takes them 6houra to explode? I would have thought much much sooner.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I burned our big pan just a few days ago when making ratatouille. I'm not sure we can save it. Got to try barkeeper's best friend next I guess.

I've also ruined pans making puddings/custards, I just don't have much luck stirring enough when cooking with milk, apparently.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I burned our big pan just a few days ago when making ratatouille. I'm not sure we can save it. Got to try barkeeper's best friend next I guess.

I've also ruined pans making puddings/custards, I just don't have much luck stirring enough when cooking with milk, apparently.

If it is just scorched at the bottom of the pan, warm water, dish soap and a dryer sheet left in to sit over night usually will break it up.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have rescued pans by adding water, loads of baking soda, and putting the pan to simmer. No book reading while simmering though.

I hate thin-walled pots and pans and the set I have now were the thickest-bottomed pans I could find. They hardly ever scorch.
  • elphie754
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have rescued pans by adding water, loads of baking soda, and putting the pan to simmer. No book reading while simmering though.

I hate thin-walled pots and pans and the set I have now were the thickest-bottomed pans I could find. They hardly ever scorch.

We have an electric skillet that I can still use, that I absolutely love. My SOs call it "elphie proof" instead of "idiot proof" lol.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    First time I tried making popcorn at home - in the '80s, before microwaves were common - I didn't realize I needed to put oil in the pot.

Oops.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I was making eggs on the stove in cast iron (gets a hot handle) once and had an oven mitt on to move the pan away from the heat. I was holding the handle and got distracted with my own thoughts. Cue 10 seconds later the oven mitt is on fire and I'm just staring off at the wall. My hand (and the eggs) were luckily fine!

Still have and use that oven mitt!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Oh you poor thing... I hope an SO took over so you could eat. Having a baby exempts you from anything requiring 100% brain power for at least 2 years, IMO. I'm sure you have other talents ;)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I've rescued surely destroyed pans by filling the bottom with lots of white vinegar, adding baking soda (it will fizz like crazy) and letting it sit for a few days. It will slowly peel off layers of burnt junk. Every few days I would empty the pan and scrub off another layer and then do the same process again. Can take a week or two of soaking and scrubbing but it works eventually.

I want to make ratatouille! Do you have a tried and true recipe?