40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    HI Cool kids. You all continue to inspire and impress me! Rock stars! All of you.

@Morgaen73 , your picture intrigued me so I creeped your profile. :blush: Amazing transformation!!!
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am newer here and I have lost 20lbs in the last few months by kickboxing classes with some running sprinkled in along with tracking my food. I have stalled out a bit at 20 so tonight I am adding some strength training to the mix. I have never really used weights or machines before so tonight should be comical if nothing else. I hear it is good to mix things up to break through a plateau. Have any of you had success with this approach?
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Happy Saturday kids. Well here is my update on NAKED YOGA. 15 people, 6 men 9 women. (naked yoga story deleted here) Let me know if you have questions or need more detail.

No more detail, PLEASE!!! :smiley:
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,068 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Finally got off my butt this week (have been in a weird funk) and got a paddle in today. 4.76 miles / 89 minutes / 3.2 mph. Did one of the race courses that I'll be on next weekend (yes, I have two races in one weekend). Taking a break tomorrow before my race on Saturday and probably just cleaning boards and prepping equipment. Thank goodness the weather looks to be a bit better than previously forecasted for this weekend. :) For the last two years, it's been my worst race of the year. Goal is to finish in under an hour this year.

Weekend is nearly here! Stay cool, kids!! B)
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, what a day. Despite not feeling like it, training today was predominantly glutes and legs with various styles of squats. I did 3 sets of ab work at the end. This weather is YUCKY and my allergies are crying foul. Sorry Beeps, my condolences to you. b3achy, please provide us with an update after the weekend. I am cheering you on virtually. Morgaen, OUCH OUCH OUCH about your toe. Have a good night kids.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Lots of cool kids in sick bay. Wishing speedy recovery to all.

Orionaimee - I would expect that adding some strength work should trigger progress. Perhaps your body may have gotten used to your current routine and become more efficient. That means burning fewer calories to get the same workouts done. Adding a new workout may shake things up.

Morgaen....wow, terrific transformation. And I must say, I love the pink tiara in your "before" picture. ;)

B3achy - looking for a report that you kicked some butt in the upcoming races. Time to blow the funk away!

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Agility X"=Done! did shockingly well today!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Beeps -- Sorry to hear about the funeral, and the set-back. Take care of yourself.

You too, Morgaen! Ouch!

Rowed 6km+, then upper body lifting. Trying to transition over to free weights. Arms are noodles.

Yup but I seem to be recovering nicely. Wearing shoes again and my shoulder is much better. I'll start doing cardio tomorrow and I'll ease into lifting next week :)
    sdereski wrote: »
    HI Cool kids. You all continue to inspire and impress me! Rock stars! All of you.

@Morgaen73 , your picture intrigued me so I creeped your profile. :blush: Amazing transformation!!!

@sdereski, thank you very much :D love your pic btw.
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Lots of cool kids in sick bay. Wishing speedy recovery to all.

Orionaimee - I would expect that adding some strength work should trigger progress. Perhaps your body may have gotten used to your current routine and become more efficient. That means burning fewer calories to get the same workouts done. Adding a new workout may shake things up.

Morgaen....wow, terrific transformation. And I must say, I love the pink tiara in your "before" picture. ;)

B3achy - looking for a report that you kicked some butt in the upcoming races. Time to blow the funk away!

@Djproulx lol thank you very much :)

I hope everyone has an awesome weekend.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    "P90X3 Agility X"=Done! did shockingly well today!

Hands down one of my favorite workouts!! Hammer and Chisel was really good, and physically I saw some great results. However, my running speed seems to have suffered a bit. I'm either going to do another round of P90X3 or check out Hard Core 22 to work into my running training program after this weekend's race. I really want to get my 5K time down!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Good morning, Cool Kids!!

It's been a bit since I've posted. I see way to many cool kids on the sick/injured list. No bueno! Praying for speedy and complete recoveries!

Today is a very light workout day for me. I'll just spend about 30 to 45 minutes doing dynamic stretches today. I have a busy night ahead of me at work and an early morning 10K. The race starts at 7am, but I probably won't leave work until midnight. It's a good thing I don't actually need my eyes wide open to run and that my morning coffee is my pre-workout drink, lol! Praying to beat my 1:07:00 time. I'm not very fast, but I get the job done!

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    orionaimee wrote: »
    I am newer here and I have lost 20lbs in the last few months by kickboxing classes with some running sprinkled in along with tracking my food. I have stalled out a bit at 20 so tonight I am adding some strength training to the mix. I have never really used weights or machines before so tonight should be comical if nothing else. I hear it is good to mix things up to break through a plateau. Have any of you had success with this approach?

Strength training rocks!! Stick to it. Proper and varied strength training can improve a lot of aspects of your life. Your posture will improve, which opens up your chest and allows you to breath better and protects your back from injury. Everyday tasks like carrying groceries or laundry baskets become easier. Your metabolism revs up to push you past that plateau. The list goes on and on. But stick to it! It can take some time to get used to the exercises and to find the right weight. You got this!!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    3m run. I'm trying to push my 5k pace down as well, so today was intervals.

Followed by some lower body strength work.

Followed by a banana and piece of cheese. :)
  • Tq43
    Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi can I join too. I'm 43. Have 3 kids, hubby and a dog. I never, ever had to worry about my weight til I turned 40. I could eat what I wanted and didn't really need to exercise , I was naturally thin / skinny.
    However, since turning 40, I've noticed the pounds creeping on. I did lose a stone 2 years ago but now have 1 and a half to lose. If I keep going as I am I'll be very overweight in a few years.
    Nows the time. I started last week and list 5 pounds, so have another stone and 3 pounds to.my target. HopING it'll be a lifestyle change this time and not just a short term diet.
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells on wednesday and short KB and arms dumbells today.
  • PAOLOPG
    PAOLOPG Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I m new here. I come from Italy
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Welcome Paolopg!

Entering my favorite stretch of training, the four high volume weeks before race day. Cranked out a long swim last night, now its off for a 3hour bike ride and short run before the rain hits this morning. Will sneak in a long run early tomorrow morning before a Mother's Day breakfast.

Happy Mothers Day to the Cool Kid Moms!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 X3 Yoga"=Done!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,068 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hope all the injured and sick are healing quickly!!

So, my race today was a bust...

The race happened, but it probably shouldn't have in the 20+mph headwinds. A few of us made the adult decision at the start, after we weren't getting anywhere to just call it then and there and head back in. Some of the folks that went out were finding themselves in dangerous conditions (some in the kayaks were finding their crafts filling up with water), or didn't even finish the race (ie, never made it to the turn around buoy, but came back at a certain point of being out) even after being out for a couple of hours. A few dozen folks did finish, but they were the exception.

I actually adulted (for once in my life), after having a giggle fit due the ludicrous conditions with one of the other paddlers went back into shore. Within a few minutes of my decision, two of my triathlete friends were coming in. Hey, there were tacos and beer on the shore...so, that helped to convince me...besides this was supposed to be a 'fun' race today; whereas, my two races next weekend are for regional points. I had a friend who pulled some muscles after racing in similar conditions a few weeks ago and she's now not able to paddle for two months, so I didn't want to put myself into that kind of position with more important races coming up.

The lady who won for our division last week, did go out and complete the race, but she came in and had also pulled something...so we'll see if she's racing next week. To give you an idea of the conditions, she told us that she was averaging 36 minute miles going out (so 54 minutes to do the 1.5 miles to the turn around buoy), and at the finish of the race it was an average of 22 minute miles (for 3 miles). So, that means she was going out at 1.667 mph, but coming back (with the wind at her back), if my math is correct, at about 7.5 mph, to be able to average 2.73 mph for the race. Considering our boards typically top out at approximately 5mph, she was getting quite the push from the wind, although she slowed down for a bit as she said she fell in at one point.

They really should have at least cancelled the short race, and had the elite racers go out on the short course. Many of the elite racers didn't complete the race either (as one or more came in only doing 4 of the 7 miles because they couldn't get back to one of their turn buoys so they cut the corner of their race to get back).

Eh, we got tacos and beer for lunch anyway and a cool cup to commemorate the event. Essentially it was a donation to a good cause, and day to hang out with some cool paddling folks.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Had awesome 2 hour hike today - came out of cub leader "retirement" to join scout sections for JOTT hike and ceremonies for kids moving up between sections. Even didn't get too bugged by all the black flies lol. Sorry couldn't resist that one