Things I didn't need to eat to lose weight

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
I lost 80 lbs in 12 months and have kept it off for 13 months so far, and I've never once had:

Apple cider vinegar
Green smoothie
Protein shake
Green tea
Diet pills
Kale
Goji berries
Acai berries
Kombucha
Chia seeds
Coconut oil

I just ate what I wanted within my calorie limit.

Of course, if I ever decided to eat those things, I'd eat them, but I'd still need to eat less calories than I burned.

There is no magic weight loss potion. If there was, Oprah wouldn't be fat.

Replies

• incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I've never had kale or quinoa and i don't eat salad. I prefer cooked thick veggies. I don't really eat whole grain bread, either, unless it's the only bread there. I just eat white bread moderately.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    1/2 of this list just sounds delicious, lol. I think the only things I don't at least occasionally consume are ACV, diet pills, and acai/goji berries :wink:
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I love making pie and I will be making this Sunday for Mother's Day. Another use for ACV.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/vinegar-pie-106550

I actually had the same thought. Apple cider vinegar (not just vinegar pie, btw) is an excellent thing to put into a butter crust to make it flakier; so I use it pretty regularly.

I also bake with coconut oil as an alternative to vegetable oil, as I'm allergic to soy. A 1/2-butter, 1/2-coconut oil mixture makes excellent cookies.

As to the OP: great list! I agree 100% I did (as mentioned above) consume 2 of the items, but I think they actually contributed to slowing my weight loss, given I used them solely in delicious baked goods. However, they supported my mental health.. so there is that..
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've worked out the exact same thing, you just need to eat in a sustained caloric deficit to lose weight. And there is no magic food, potion or pill that will do that for you.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    "Clean" unprocessed foods.
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I didn't have to eat turkey bacon, egg whites, and low fat butter with breakfast. I can have real bacon, fresh cracked eggs, and real butter. Makes me so much happier in the morning.

I actually have to do that to stay in deficit.