How do you recover from bad diet day?

Options

Replies

• KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think going over your calories one day a week is good for the metabolism.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    SarahFromWalthamForest Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I binged one day because I didn't have time to eat breakfast and lunch and by the time I got home I was so hungry I ate high-calorie/bad food choices.
    I decided to restrict my calories by 250 (from my normal calories) for the rest of the week to make up for the extra calories I binged on, but by the end of the week I was so hungry (due to restriction and ToM) I ended up giving up the diet and binging for just over a week.

If I slip up again, I'm not going to worry about it and stick to my normal calories so I don't end up making the problem worse.

I was lucky this time that I didn't gain much, if anything, from eating 4000-7000 calories per day for that binge-week.
    As I weighed myself today (5 days after being back on track) and I've lost 1lb since the day before the binge.
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I stick to my normal routine. I try to eat more healthy but I don't restrict my diet. I also remind myself that I am doing great as I need the affirmation to keep my motivation.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I used to over restrict the next day or two but this put me at maintenance every week and want healthy. I would binge for a day or two then starve a day or two breaking even. Now I just jump back into my normal routine the next day without the stress and am losing.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try to eat your full days needs afterward instead of trying to take the shortcut of cutting calories. Reduce excess consumption by healthier nutrition and exercise plans.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Severely restricting calories does not do penance for a previous binge. Rather it prepares the next one.

Words of wisdom, right there^^
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You do better the next day. As others said, cutting maybe 100 calories off your normal total for the next few days could be fine, but restricting yourself down to 500 calories is just setting yourself up to fail again.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    I've done this about one day a week for the past three weeks. Ugh. Every time, I decided to restrict even further for the next few days. I noticed it led to a binge and restrict cycle. It was easy to restrict the following day, since I still felt full from the day before. But on day two and day three, I was tired and lethargic... on day four, I tried to just resume my normal calorie goal and found it really tricky, and then on day seven/eight it all came crashing down again.

So I've decided that if this happens, I'm just going to use it to fuel a good workout the next day, maybe eat fewer calories the following day (if that's what comes naturally), and get back on the wagon.

Why did you continue to restrict on day two, three, four...? That's just too many days that it's overkill for one day of excessive eating. Not surprise that you felt tired and lethargic.

OP, I don't have a bad day or a cheat day, but what you said is the basis of my eating. On weekend I consume a whole lot of calories, then come Monday I eat much lighter. On Tuesday and Wednesday I eat a bit more depending on my activities. All in all it's still deficit or balance for me. I don't get hung up with any cravings, foods or anything.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    tjsims88 wrote: »
    Do you restrict additional calories the day(s) after? Exercise more? Just Curious... If I go over my calories by a lot I'll only eat about 500 caps the next day

This would set up a binge/restrict cycle for me.

If I go over, I shake it off and get back to the original game plan.

^Same for me.
  • pwrlipstick
    pwrlipstick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that one cheeseburger (or day) isn't going to derail you any more than one salad (or day) is going to make you look like a fitness model.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Today is a bad diet day. I had two slices of pie and one glazed donut. I'm fine with it :)
  • beanfacekilla
    beanfacekilla Posts: 69 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I just ate a grass fed burger, and asked for veggies. They brought fries. Asked for veggies, they started saying blah blah. I just said eff it and ate them. Over on fat. Over on calories 100 something.... it's whatever. Tonorrow.

I do feel like I ate a bowl full of concrete now. I haven't had fries in 6 weeks or more.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've done this about one day a week for the past three weeks. Ugh. Every time, I decided to restrict even further for the next few days. I noticed it led to a binge and restrict cycle. It was easy to restrict the following day, since I still felt full from the day before. But on day two and day three, I was tired and lethargic... on day four, I tried to just resume my normal calorie goal and found it really tricky, and then on day seven/eight it all came crashing down again.

So I've decided that if this happens, I'm just going to use it to fuel a good workout the next day, maybe eat fewer calories the following day (if that's what comes naturally), and get back on the wagon.

Why did you continue to restrict on day two, three, four...? That's just too many days that it's overkill for one day of excessive eating. Not surprise that you felt tired and lethargic.

OP, I don't have a bad day or a cheat day, but what you said is the basis of my eating. On weekend I consume a whole lot of calories, then come Monday I eat much lighter. On Tuesday and Wednesday I eat a bit more depending on my activities. All in all it's still deficit or balance for me. I don't get hung up with any cravings, foods or anything.

Well, I tried to figure out how much I ate (I wasn't logging during the binge) and "spread out" the calories over the week, so I would make up for it by day five or so. Only cutting like 300-400 calories each day. But it didn't work. It was a bad plan. Live and learn.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My attitude toward it: Life happens. I don't worry about it or try to compensate for it, just go back to my normal routine the next day. I didn't get fat in one day, I didn't lose all the weight in one day, and I'm not going to gain it all back in one day so it's no big deal. Nothing more than a very minor little bump in the road, which is completely insignificant in the long run.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    He said it ^
  • gurinderGill1311
    gurinderGill1311 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You simply need to average your weekly calories requirement and have the deficit required.
    After a bad diet day simply get back to your regular diet and create some extra deficit to balance the extra calories that you consumed earlier.
    Just remember just eating clean one day won't make any change in your body, similarly a bad diet day won't have any extrem effect on your over all results. Just try to avoide as much as possible as stick to your diet.
    Remember it's not one day task, it's a lifestyle.
    That why at Get Set Go Fitness we always suggest to follow a sustainable diet plan.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do you restrict additional calories the day(s) after? Exercise more? Just Curious... If I go over my calories by a lot I'll only eat about 500 caps the next day

How much are you going over if you need to restrict that much the next day?! :huh:

Yesterday I had 2300 calories when i supposee to have 1500/day

So you ate at maintenance for a day but felt the need to punish yourself? Why?
    I'm maintaining and when I got to eat more it means surplus not like in lose weight if you would go over it means maintenance. Moving on is the best way for me :lol:

• 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I am in it for the long haul, I am not perfect and mistakes happen then I go to the gym and add extra weights to the rack as.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Please be careful with this. If I remember correctly you are currently pregnant ? I know you want to keep your gain in check but I would not recommend trying to cut your calories like that especially to the point where you feel weak.