How do you recover from bad diet day?

Options
13»

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here who has never gone over my calories in a day? If I am having a big eating day I make sure it is a big exercise day first. Maybe I need to let my hair down a bit more.
  • FlattoPhat
    FlattoPhat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How to get over it? Let it go and go back to regular diet.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If it's maintenance level or close to, I don't do anything. If I've had a big splurge, well over maintenance, I get right back to my logging the next day, drink a little extra water, and take an extra 10-15 walk per day for the next week and don't log those exercise calories. If I know in advance I'm going to go out with friends, I try to build in the extra calories so I can have a glass of wine or a restaurant meal. Weight loss is a challenge, obviously, so I am really trying not to make it extra stressful by punishing myself or being too strict.

In the past, I've tried to to go 100% on plan until goal weight, but this time I'm going for the 80/20 rule. I'm also practicing moderate indulgences - planning for a glass of wine or slice of pizza or piece of really good chocolate without drinking the whole bottle, eating half a pizza, or a whole box of chocolates.
  • jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Every day is its own day in my book, and the word "binge" is banned from my dictionary. There's nothing unnatural with wanting something extra now and then, I just have to satisfy the want and go on as usual. If I feel like eating less the next day, then I am not going to force more food of course. Nothing sets me up for failure quite like fixating on that one unhealthy meal, as I end up losing some confidence, dieting determination decreases, and my relationship with food gets damaged. I'd say stop thinking about it, leave it in the past, and do better tomorrow.
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Any time I have a day that I went over my calorie goal (like, waaay over, not just 100 or so), I put it behind me and move on. If I'm feeling especially bad about it, I'll do a little more exercise over the next couple of days. Literally, a LITTLE more. Just as others are saying, One day of overeating is not going to make you gain weight, just as one day of under-eating is not going to make you lose weight.

• lilysillycat
    lilysillycat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just look at each day as a new start. I don't worry about what I did the day before, I just focus on eating well today.

+1
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    "Wow, that was good food I enjoyed yesterday."

And then I get back on track, try to make the better choices, move more and look forward. No regrets.
  • Tq43
    Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I try to just carry on with my normal calorie allowance and maybe step up the exercise a bit the next day but that's it really. If I deprive myself too much I start to binge ....I've learned the hard way.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just look at each day as a new start. I don't worry about what I did the day before, I just focus on eating well today.
    Im with this!

• YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If planned (holidays, birthdays, etc): I will eat a little less (250 cal) 3 days before and 3 days after.
    If unplanned (bad day/spontaneous party): I log it and move on.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    tjsims88 wrote: »
    Do you restrict additional calories the day(s) after? Exercise more? Just Curious... If I go over my calories by a lot I'll only eat about 500 caps the next day

Just get back on track with the next meal. No need to restrict calories the next day. As long as you don't consistently have bad days one after another then one "bad" day as you call it won't affect your long term goal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with having a 500 calorie day right after. If you are used to intermittent fasting such days are extremely easy after a heavy day. I use that strategy sometimes. HOWEVER, the mindset you have when you are doing this is EXTREMELY important. If I plan a high day, I often also plan a low day afterwards. It's just part of my overall strategy because I find this whole thing easier this way. I will never ever do a low day as punishment or for going over. If I eat over unplanned, I decide next day if I want to fast or not, if not, no big deal. I just see try to be careful not to go over again unplanned. I feel annoyed, of course, but I don't feel like I've made a big mistake that I need to punish myself for. Just a "life happens, and it can suck sometimes" kind of annoyance.

If you're doing it to attone for your sins, if you are lead to this by guilt and anxiety, if fast days are unnecessarily hard for you, if you are tempted to go too low for more than one day, if this triggers a cycle of binge and restrict for you, if this kind of strategy is not sustainable for you, and if you have any other negative results or associations with the way you are doing it, I would be very careful. You want to build sustainable habits for the future, not just do whatever it takes to lose the weight. Fasting can be sustainable, but it needs a solid mental approach because it can easily turn into something very negative.

P.S: 2300 calories is likely not that much over your maintenance. The difference it makes is barely a blip beyond the water weight gain. You can safely get over it and move on without any noticeable damage to your weight loss process if you so choose.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I just get back on track.. One day doesnt affect me at all. Maybe up for a day due to extra salt and waste in the body but otherwise it shouldnt do anything to you.
  • cprbrat17
    cprbrat17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me, depends how hungery I am the next day. If I'm really not, then i won't eat much. If I am, then I eat like normally. I try not to hold a day of going over, over my head. It was only a day and one day won't hurt. Just can't let it turn into more.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I go for a good run. Then go back to normal
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's just one day.

Did you know that mfp calories aren't maintenance calories? You potentially have anywhere from 250-1000 calories before you hit maintenance (depending on how many pounds per week you selected to lose). It's unhealthy and unnecessary to eat 500 the next day.... just eat your normal calories and move on. One day is just a drop in the ocean.

I have found that this simple fact has helped me immensely on days when I eat more than my calorie goal. It takes away the guilt and makes it so much easier to stay on track for the long term. I just wish I had this epiphany years ago.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Yep. One good choice at a time. I log and move on.