Protein shake without sucralose or stevia?

Replies

• must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    I use Nature's Plus Spiru-tein unsweetened vanilla protein powder. I get it at my local health food store, but they sell it on Amazon, too.

I really like it-- It tastes fine to me. I mix it up in a blender with 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup plain yogurt or kefir, and 4 ice cubes.
    I don't need my shakes to taste sweet and I sure don't need that artificial stuff.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Why don't you folks make your own........? Seems way simpler and cheaper.
  • juliejones9846
    juliejones9846 Posts: 2 Member
    Well, for me it could be cheaper, but not simpler. My coach says to eat 4-5 small meals a day... A wake-up meal replacement, early lunch, mid afternoon meal replacement and dinner seems to be what works, given my work and family commitments.

At first I scoffed at the protein shakes, because I believe that eating "real food" is more desirable. But I found that these quick alternatives offer nutrient control that really helps. Before that I was a big-time meal skipper, and was starving myself of much-needed nourishment.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I'd also like to know! I'm using MRM right now because I specifically try to avoid sucralose. It does have stevia though, so that doesn't help you.

I use the MRM unflavored. I don't believe it has stevia. It also does not have much of a flavor on its own so I like mixing it in smoothies with fruit or cocoa powder.
  • delkfn
    delkfn Posts: 1
    I'm allergic to sucralose and I just purchased Fitness Labs 100% Whey Protein. It has no artificial sweeteners, its unflavored (something I tend to look for because I can mix it with anything), and it also doesn't contain thickeners. I chose this one because I can mix it into a shake or just mix it in with water/flavored water. It just arrived today and I've only tried it once (in flavored water) and it seems like it is going to be a winner in my book. I ordered it from Nutrition Express and it was like $25 for 2 lbs/28 servings. Hope this helps!
  • mariannawonder
    mariannawonder Posts: 4 Member
    I use Nature's Plus Spiru-tein unsweetened vanilla protein powder. I get it at my local health food store, but they sell it on Amazon, too.

I really like it-- It tastes fine to me. I mix it up in a blender with 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup plain yogurt or kefir, and 4 ice cubes.
    I don't need my shakes to taste sweet and I sure don't need that artificial stuff.

I use this one too! I usually have it plain with water or I've tried it with some coconut milk. I actually only just bought it a week ago. I've been very apprehensive to buy shakes because I hate the taste of sweeteners and I'm really not a big sweets person in general. Its really good, really filling - I have been replacing breakfast with it because I'm always in a rush out the door anyway and I've been told I'm not eating nearly enough protein (despite the fact that I try so hard). It tastes kind of like oatmeal. I think it would be really good with peanut butter mixed in but I'm afraid to buy it because I have a bit of a peanut butter problem.
  • BastPriestess
    BastPriestess Posts: 1 Member
    tungsten93 wrote: »
    i can see why you don't want splenda, but why not stevia?

I just don't like the odd taste and it's not something I'd want to ingest on a regular basis anyway. I have a few protein bars with stevia and I just can't bring myself to eat them.

I am extremely allergic to all artificial sweeteners, so I have these issues as well with finding shake/replacement options that I can actually have - that don't taste completely awful. But I avoid Stevia as well, because for me...it creates terrible digestive issues. It treats me like Olean does or like how dairy does for people who have a Lactose intolerance, so it's best to completely avoid it for me too. If it has zero calorie value, even if it's from a plant, I have to ask myself if I should be eating it at all. But that's me. :)
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Chocolate and Strawberry because I hate the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners.
  • Funkiratz13
    Funkiratz13 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    From doing some online research it looks like Optimum Nutrition has a "natural" line that doesn't contain these ingredients

The ON 100% Natural series has stevia. It's just listed in the ingredients as "rebaudioside A". I could taste it as soon as I tried it. I'm so ready for a protein powder that just uses straight sugar or even dehydrated honey or corn sugar or ANYTHING that doesn't leave that lingering over-sweet aftertaste. It's driving me nuts. I can work regular sugar into my macros easy enough and I'd much rather do that than put up with these sweeteners.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    From doing some online research it looks like Optimum Nutrition has a "natural" line that doesn't contain these ingredients

The ON 100% Natural series has stevia. It's just listed in the ingredients as "rebaudioside A". I could taste it as soon as I tried it. I'm so ready for a protein powder that just uses straight sugar or even dehydrated honey or corn sugar or ANYTHING that doesn't leave that lingering over-sweet aftertaste. It's driving me nuts. I can work regular sugar into my macros easy enough and I'd much rather do that than put up with these sweeteners.

Why not just buy unflavoured and add your own flavour and sweetener of choice?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Quest makes anunflavored one with no sweetener. You can use it in anything
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Agree- Quest MultiPurpose Mix. Also makes delicious waffles/pancakes!!! Sooo glad I bought this. I get mine @ VitaminShoppe.
  • broops100
    broops100 Posts: 1 Member
    I too appear allergic to sucralose. Now here's the thing, I want my protein shake to behave like Cambridge Weight Plan shakes. I lost a fair amount of weight with them until they swopped to using sucralose. Now I need a replacement without artificial sugar and not includes fructose as Herbalife just inflates my stomach into a bulging mess. Can't even say I've lost weight using them.
    Will these shakes you're mentioning help with weight loss?
  • chef1renee
    chef1renee Posts: 1 Member
    Garden of Life Proteins and Greens is made with sprouted brown rice and Pea protein. There is no dairy, no artificial sweeteners-20g protein. First one that I can drink with no digestive side effects.
  • Universe5155
    Universe5155 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    I just checked out Optimum Nutrition's shake's and most contain sucraolose (Splenda). :/ Were you able to find any shakes without these ingredients?
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    My suggestion is to just do hemp protein powders or whey powders and make your own shake. Many "protein shakes" are designed for people trying to bulk up.

Wrong on so many levels. Unless it specifically says weight gainer on it then most protein shakes are generally around the same calories.

Hemp protein powders will not have any less calories than a typical whey protein shake, and in fact may contain more.

I definitely agree with making your own shake or buying unflavored.

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Why did someone bring up a post from October 2012?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member

Why not just buy unflavoured and add your own flavour and sweetener of choice?

This is what I do. I use MyProtein unflavoured whey isolate and just add stuff.
  • alecialynne78
    alecialynne78 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2018
    The "ON Gold Whey Protein Powder" product contains: Rebaudioside A (sometimes shortened to "Reb A") is a steviol glycoside that is 200 times sweeter than sugar. The glycoside contains only glucose (to the exclusion of other commonly found monosaccharides) as its monosaccharide moieties.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Integrated Supplements whey protein is sweetened with monkfruit and I like it. I’m not a huge fan of Splenda and I hate the taste of stevia with the fire of a thousand suns and that one tastes fine to me. ON gold standard whey is also fine for me, I can’t remember the sweetener.