Fasting 28 days?

Options
Okay I need a 2nd or a few opinions on this.

Recently my little brother is starting a diet consisting of just water for the next 28 days. (Personally I find that dumb af, but since he's stubborn and doesn't listen to my personal opinion on it, it can't be help, I tried to explain a simple calorie deficit diet, but atlas he thinks that won't work on him). I mean fasting does work to a extent sure, but I dont think 28 days is healthy at all, my bro was inspired by a gaming youtuber whom was on this diet and seemed to lost quite a bit of weight and now my little brother who is 15 is trying to jump on the band wagon. Any advice or are you doing the diet and does it work for you or any way of talking him out of it, maybe some of your guy's opinions could help. Thank you.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    watch out for re-feed syndrome when starting to eat again.
  • BullishBull
    BullishBull Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There are many studies of people doing water fasts and surviving but it is not something to do without medical supervision.

What kind of supervision does one need whilst doing this water fast? I just don't understand why somebody would take the risk.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it is a slow road to suicide. Don't let him do it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It probably won't kill him, but it will be absolutely miserable experience. He probably won't make it more than a day or two.
  • Sythfia
    Sythfia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yeah I already informed my parents, they've told him a bunch of times about it not being a good idea, yet he still insists on it, so ridiculous. Thank you guys, it's nice to know that you all have the same opinions as me. I'll try to convince him, he's on day 4 btw, I just found that out today.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Your 15 year old brother is trying to starve himself definitely let your parents know.
  • Sythfia
    Options
    ldwatene wrote: »
    I understand stubborn quite well and actually get he probably won't listen to anyone else so instead maybe just make it really hard for him by eating his favorite foods around him and hope his cravings convince him for you. If he fails himself it will be easier than convincing him otherwise.

Lol I've been doing that all day today. Even bought some brownies and soda, we'll see by the end of today it's all gone.
  • Sythfia
    Options

At my worst, I was a member of a pro-anorexia website. Even there, a 28 day water only fast would be considered too much.

Right? I just don't understand his logic. Thanks for sharing.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Sythfia wrote: »
    At my worst, I was a member of a pro-anorexia website. Even there, a 28 day water only fast would be considered too much.

Right? I just don't understand his logic. Thanks for sharing.

In a day or to ask him to go for a (long) walk with you or something else physical. Maybe after feeling how his body is struggling he will fuel it properly.

Or you could just ask him why he hates himself and wants to destroy his body