Fasting 28 days?

Options

Replies

• Sythfia
    Sythfia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Last year I stopped everything but water. I was hospitalized at the time for another reason. Because I wasn't eating they tested my blood daily. After a week they said my kidneys had started to shut down and show signs of damage. Two weeks in the bloodwork had signs of liver failure. I started accepting ensure at that point because I knew what came next....been there before.

Fasting for more than a day or two damages your body! Especially if you are young and still developing!

Exactly! Well said and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    Wasn't joking about refeeding syndrome if he has truly been fasting.
  • Sythfia
    Options
    Sythfia wrote: »
    At my worst, I was a member of a pro-anorexia website. Even there, a 28 day water only fast would be considered too much.

Right? I just don't understand his logic. Thanks for sharing.

In a day or to ask him to go for a (long) walk with you or something else physical. Maybe after feeling how his body is struggling he will fuel it properly.

Or you could just ask him why he hates himself and wants to destroy his body

True. I'll be sure to try that. I've asked him why he hates himself so much to cut out food and that it'll f*** with his metabolism. But all his response was "it won't, I've done the research." Ect. Smh. Anyways thank you.
  • Sythfia
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Wasn't joking about refeeding syndrome if he has truly been fasting.

Yeah I saw your original post and I agree completely, I told him about what you mentioned and what refeeding syndrome was, he did have some second thoughts but then proceeds to say he's done the research in fasting and nothing will happen to him. But thank you, I'll be sure to push the topic a bit more.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    At my worst, I was a member of a pro-anorexia website. Even there, a 28 day water only fast would be considered too much.

Right? I just don't understand his logic. Thanks for sharing.

In a day or to ask him to go for a (long) walk with you or something else physical. Maybe after feeling how his body is struggling he will fuel it properly.

Or you could just ask him why he hates himself and wants to destroy his body

True. I'll be sure to try that. I've asked him why he hates himself so much to cut out food and that it'll f*** with his metabolism. But all his response was "it won't, I've done the research." Ect. Smh. Anyways thank you.

Ask why he refuses to give his heart the fuel it needs to continue pumping blood.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Meh, I bet he doesn't make it 24 hrs before he is sneaking food.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    What he doesn't understand is that he'll gain all the weight back, plus probably way more.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    just read he was on day 4. Still call bs and I would bet he is eating something and hiding it.

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    In 1979, I actually thought it would be a good idea to try a 7 day fast. I only lasted 6 days because it was miserable. I couldn't concentrate in my college classes or focus on homework.

Tell him it's a terrible idea for all the reasons in the posts above, and also for the health of his brain, which he shouldn't take for granted. And I agree you should tell your parents.

Also, tell him how proud you are of him for wanting to make some changes, and for having the courage and determination to plan such a difficult method of weight loss. Suggest that an equally difficult but healthier option would be to eat only meat, eggs, dairy, veggies and fruit for 28 days. No sweets, grains, sodas, etc.
    That might satisfy his curiosity to try out being an ascetic.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    And can you tell us how it all works out? I'm curious!
  • Sythfia
    edited May 2017
    Options
    just read he was on day 4. Still call bs and I would bet he is eating something and hiding it.

I don't know, I hope so. Like I said some previous posts back, I've left some brownies lying around, it hadn't been touched so far, but when night comes, we will see. Lol.
  • Sythfia
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Seajolly wrote: »
    What he doesn't understand is that he'll gain all the weight back, plus probably way more.

That's exactly what I've been telling him. He is stupidly stubborn, is all I can think at this point.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Someone else posted this in another group I'm in... I will never understand how someone who took years to become overweight thinks they're going to "fix" anything by killing themselves slowly and agonizingly in 28 days. Nevermind the lean mass he's going to lose (which is his metabolic currency). This is idiotic
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

I'd be at drive thru so fast lol "g-g-going to check the m-m-mail Ma"
  • Sythfia
    Options
    Also, tell him how proud you are of him for wanting to make some changes, and for having the courage and determination to plan such a difficult method of weight loss. Suggest that an equally difficult but healthier option would be to eat only meat, eggs, dairy, veggies and fruit for 28 days. No sweets, grains, sodas, etc.

For sure that's a good idea about encouraging him; kind of like reverse psychology, I'm more like the nagging sister or the type to brag about his favorite sweets in his face though, it'll be hard on my part lol, but I'll be sure to try it. And yeah I'll keep you guys updated.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

For sure that's a good idea about encouraging him; kind of like reverse psychology, I'm more like the nagging sister or the type to brag about his favorite sweets in his face though, it'll be hard on my part lol, but I'll be sure to try it. And yeah I'll keep you guys updated.

While it may be a stretch for your usual relationship, taking the different approach might be more likely to get his attention.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Little brothers sometimes crave respect from their older sisters.