I must not be doing this right... keto help pls!!

Options
Hi -

I must not be doing this right. Set a goal of 1350 cal per day, been keeping to roughly 1300. It's been a solid week of good, classic keto eating - 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. Some days minor slippage 25% protein, 70% fat but no slips on carbs that's not even been hard huge surprise. Felt a little bit of what might have been keto fluish yesterday, fine today.

No gluten. Have not given up dairy, but I'm not wallowing in it either, can't give it up in coffee but amped up to heavy cream instead of ½ and ½ for the fat content.

Not weighing (too depressing) but no change in how my clothes fit so I'm sure I haven't lost anything. Willing to believe I'm not yet fat-adapted, willing to wait for the magic but I need a time frame to look forward to. I'll start losing in another week? Two weeks?

Any and all help most appreciated thanks SO much!
Katie

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You need to give it more time but on the other hand are you sure that you are in a deficit? Fat has a lot of calories.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yes, give it more time. Also wondering how you are taking data?? You need to weigh your food, especially when just starting a diet so you can best understand portion sizes and get accustomed to portion control. Make sure to log of course. And you said you don't know how much you weigh anyway (which also isn't the best gauge of progress) so... take a deep breath full of patience and give this change the time it deserves. A week is just the first step to new habits.
  • katiebelleck
    katiebelleck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    B-r-e-a-t-h-i-n-g thank you!

I record *everything* but I've been logging food for years so I no longer weigh/measure.

I will try to be patient - I certainly feel better. More info required on when/how I will lose weight. Certainly at 1350 calories per day I'm in deficit, no?

Thanks so much for your kind help!
    Kate
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    B-r-e-a-t-h-i-n-g thank you!

I record *everything* but I've been logging food for years so I no longer weigh/measure.

I will try to be patient - I certainly feel better. More info required on when/how I will lose weight. Certainly at 1350 calories per day I'm in deficit, no?

Thanks so much for your kind help!
    Kate

How much of a deficit are you doing? That will determine how much weight you should expect to lose per week. Also keep in mind that water weight fluctuations from day to day and week to week can easily hide or amplify your actual losses.

Just an fyi, I'm not saying this applies to you, but it is very easy for your portions to grow subtly over time without realizing. Sometimes I get away from weighing my portions for food I eat all the time, but I will test my eyeballing on the food scale every once and awhile and usually find I've started getting overly generous lol!
  • katiebelleck
    Options
    I don't know how I could possibly eat less... maybe I should cut dairy for s few days and see how that goes. Can mix almond milk w coconut butter for coffee.
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. My 18th day today and no loss. I think the weight will come off when it does. I weigh myself everyday and my food too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'd start by weighing yourself. This way you'll have an accurate starting point. It's way too soon to expect your clothes to fit differently.
  • terilou87
    terilou87 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else you have to measure all food and be eating a deficite or weight won't be lost. I have been doing keto for 3 weeks,( 2 weeks on here) and have measured and ate a deficite and have lost 18lbs so far but still not a huge difference in how my clothes fit tbh.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi -

I must not be doing this right. Set a goal of 1350 cal per day, been keeping to roughly 1300. It's been a solid week of good, classic keto eating - 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. Some days minor slippage 25% protein, 70% fat but no slips on carbs that's not even been hard huge surprise. Felt a little bit of what might have been keto fluish yesterday, fine today.

No gluten. Have not given up dairy, but I'm not wallowing in it either, can't give it up in coffee but amped up to heavy cream instead of ½ and ½ for the fat content.

Not weighing (too depressing) but no change in how my clothes fit so I'm sure I haven't lost anything. Willing to believe I'm not yet fat-adapted, willing to wait for the magic but I need a time frame to look forward to. I'll start losing in another week? Two weeks?

Any and all help most appreciated thanks SO much!
    Katie

I was doing that keto diet too. when I started adding in the heavy whipping cream, and the extra butter to meet the fat requirements, I was going over my calories. they say you don't need to watch calories, but that is a mistake. Watch your calories, they will stall you. I stalled 4 weeks!!! then went back to lower fat and the scale moved 4 pounds this past week. I even upped my carbs to over 50. lost weight. so watch those calories!!!

• katiebelleck
    Options
    wait - what? not necessarily lose weight on keto?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic...

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter what way of eating you choose to follow. You need to eat less calories than you burn. Whether you are eating keto, low carb, vegetarian, Mediterranean, standard american diet, whatever - if you eat too many calories you gain weight. If you eat at a deficit you lose weight.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

It doesn't matter what way of eating you choose to follow. You need to eat less calories than you burn. Whether you are eating keto, low carb, vegetarian, Mediterranean, standard american diet, whatever - if you eat too many calories you gain weight. If you eat at a deficit you lose weight.

ye found that out, mad at my wasted 4 weeks thinking I was going to lose weight if I just kept on doing what I was doing.