I must not be doing this right... keto help pls!!

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    wait - what? not necessarily lose weight on keto?

It doesn't matter what way of eating you choose to follow. You need to eat less calories than you burn. Whether you are eating keto, low carb, vegetarian, Mediterranean, standard american diet, whatever - if you eat too many calories you gain weight. If you eat at a deficit you lose weight.

ye found that out, mad at my wasted 4 weeks thinking I was going to lose weight if I just kept on doing what I was doing.

It wasnt a waste it was a learning experience. a lot of people think that if they eat keto they will turn into fat burning machines(body fat) and lose all this fat and weight,and that they can eat as much as they want because keto.

They dont understand that its the fat they consume that is being used for fuel not all their body fat.so they figure that their body will run a special way on it and that they dont need to cut calories.Little do these people know it doesnt work that way.You figured it out the hard way,but you did figure it out.Some give up because they figure it didnt work for them and cant understand why they lost so much in the first week or two and why its now slowing down or stalling.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    On average it took around 18lbs of weightloss to see a drop in clothes size for me so if you want to see results fast you are going to have to step on the scale. Can't advise on keto I'm afraid. Good luck.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ...from what I have read/heard that if your protein is too high it can keep you from entering ketosis/kick you out of it once in. but I dont think 25% would do that.

You enter ketosis on the Stillman diet, which is an ultra-high protein diet that severely restricts both carbohydrates and fat.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Rosyone wrote: »
    ...from what I have read/heard that if your protein is too high it can keep you from entering ketosis/kick you out of it once in. but I dont think 25% would do that.

You enter ketosis on the Stillman diet, which is an ultra-high protein diet that severely restricts both carbohydrates and fat.

hopefully you arent on that diet,which is not a good diet to be on. you need some fats and some carbs,fats are essential for hormones to function properly not to mention it restricts almost everything but protein which is not healthy,even taking a multivitamin doesnt mean it will help prevent malnutrition or other issues, and its a very low calorie diet so of course you will lose weight(dangerously so in many cases). its a load of crap is what it is. even if it puts you into ketosis,its dangerous for other reasons. also the claims it makes about detoxing,boosting metabolism and so on is a crock.
  • katiebelleck
    katiebelleck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok then I'm just confused. If keto isn't better for weight loss what's the point? Can't believe bacon is healthier than apples. Also pretty sure that 1350 calories per day gives me a deficit. Will be patient and keep going. Much less coffee, much more water.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Ok then I'm just confused. If keto isn't better for weight loss what's the point? Can't believe bacon is healthier than apples. Also pretty sure that 1350 calories per day gives me a deficit. Will be patient and keep going. Much less coffee, much more water.

What keto can do, as I understand things, is create an appetite suppression effect. When this happens, you will probably be eating fewer calories.

But ultimately, yes. Fewer calories need to go in than out. :D
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If it has only been a week you probably wont lose more than a few pounds so you wouldnt likely feel a difference in your clothes - that can actually take a couple months even. Use a scale.
  • Verity1111
    Options

It doesnt matter what you eat...only how much. Healthy is not the same as ability to lose weight.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect clothes to fit any differently until I'd lost 10-30 lbs, depending on where I was starting at. That's going to take a couple months, at least.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Some people find keto helps their appetite - they can eat until they are full and still stay at a calorie deficit. If it does that for you, stay with it and be patient because weight loss is a long term proposition. If you don't like eating that way, than try something else. For weight loss, calories are king.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I wouldn't expect clothes to fit any differently until I'd lost 10-30 lbs, depending on where I was starting at. That's going to take a couple months, at least.

Well, 10lbs can be done in a month but 30 would be very difficult lol
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

10 lbs. could be done initially, either if the person is very very overweight or if it's water due to a keto plan. I know at I think 180-ish lbs. I lost 6 lbs. in my first two weeks pretty much any time I did VLC.

It's not fat but if it's pounds one is looking for, a drop in water can definitely happen this way during that first month.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

10 lbs. could be done initially, either if the person is very very overweight or if it's water due to a keto plan. I know at I think 180-ish lbs. I lost 6 lbs. in my first two weeks pretty much any time I did VLC.

It's not fat but if it's pounds one is looking for, a drop in water can definitely happen this way during that first month.

For sure but 30 in a month is rough. Would take exercise too unless you're like 500lbs.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Yes, but if I were very overweight, 10 lbs wouldn't make a difference in clothing size.

I can tell a difference between 125 and 135 lbs in how my clothes fit, but at 200, it took about 30 lbs before I noticed anything. One week wouldn't do it at either weight.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

Yes, but if I were very overweight, 10 lbs wouldn't make a difference in clothing size.

I can tell a difference between 125 and 135 lbs in how my clothes fit, but at 200, it took about 30 lbs before I noticed anything. One week wouldn't do it at either weight.

Oh yeah, I agree.

In fact, I only started at 212...which granted was pretty darned heavy but I mean I wasn't hundreds of pounds overweight or anything...and I didn't go down a clothing size for something like 35-ish pounds, IIRC.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

For sure but 30 in a month is rough. Would take exercise too unless you're like 500lbs.

Yeah...30 lbs...just no.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Rosyone wrote: »

hopefully you arent on that diet,which is not a good diet to be on. you need some fats and some carbs,fats are essential for hormones to function properly not to mention it restricts almost everything but protein which is not healthy,even taking a multivitamin doesnt mean it will help prevent malnutrition or other issues, and its a very low calorie diet so of course you will lose weight(dangerously so in many cases). its a load of crap is what it is. even if it puts you into ketosis,its dangerous for other reasons. also the claims it makes about detoxing,boosting metabolism and so on is a crock.

Oops, sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was recommending Stillman. I'm most definitely NOT on that diet, which was blamed for triggering Karen Carpenter's anorexia and eventually killing her. I was just pointing out that restricting protein is not required for ketosis. You can eat practically nothing but protein and go into ketosis.