Fasting 28 days?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There are many studies of people doing water fasts and surviving but it is not something to do without medical supervision.

What kind of supervision does one need whilst doing this water fast? I just don't understand why somebody would take the risk.

Medical supervision. As I stated. Water fasts are and have been used more morbidly obese patients for decades.

In no way am I advocating them, especially not in this instance but my post was to provide information for those that cared.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    There are many studies of people doing water fasts and surviving but it is not something to do without medical supervision.

What kind of supervision does one need whilst doing this water fast? I just don't understand why somebody would take the risk.

There are some people on full time fasting at the detox clinic I go to. They can have from 1 day to 7 days fasting under medical supervision. And then they're carefully put on a light diet, like very light waterly oatmeal to ease the digestion. But they do it only if they're healthy, for example I can't fast even for a day because of my gallbladder issues. My friend was refused it too because her blood pressure dropped too much and doctors insisted on her eating.

Fasting is very popular but must be done under medical surveillance only.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how your parents are allowing this.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My first question, OP, did he lurk around the brownies last night and at least take a bite?

Where the parents in this really? A child this age is not capable of making such drastic choices, while a 15 year old may in size look grown up enough to make his own decisions, he is still developing and incapable of making good choices at all times. As for me, an intervention would have happened way before he/she got four days into this. I am my children's protector, and in this case a child that needs protecting from themselves.

Allowing this to even happen 1 time is a recipe for disaster for how he/she will model decision making in the future, as well as obtaining eating disorders in the future, etc.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well the good news is likely he won't last 28 days. You said he is 15? Likely he is just young and dumb. Sounds like something parents should be involved in.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Is he over 18? Not much you can do. If he's under 18 your parents can have him hospitalized.

Chances are he will eat when the hunger gets unbearable, but if he doesn't, he won't live.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Your parents are letting their 15 year old starve for 28 days?

Child abuse.

In many states, this would trigger a visit by child services if reported.

This. You can anonymously report it to CPS.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If your parents aren't willing to take action on this (and he is still fasting), it's time to talk to another trusted adult. Is there a teacher, guidance counselor, or nurse at his school? Could you call your brother's doctor/pediatrician?
  • CTRLplusZ
    CTRLplusZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Is he even overweight?

The hopeful part of me says that once he's starts experiencing low blood pressure in the shower he will realize it's not a good idea but i don't know many people who don't have an existing or emerging eating disorder who would commit to a 28 day water fast.

Your parents need to intervene. Even if he doesn't go the 28 days he's likely to continue to try dangerous food behaviors afterwards.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Is he practicing for the show Naked & Afraid?