Is your significant other your gym buddy?

Options
mollyingrid92
mollyingrid92 Posts: 41 Member
Is your significant other your gym buddy? How do you two go about your workouts together?
My boyfriend is my gym buddy and we did our first work out together (taking turns on machines and challenging each other).
Just curious how other couples do gym time.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Yup, my husband is my training partner... He's the person I feel most comfortable spotting me when necessary
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    No SO or gym buddy. Lone wolf :(
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be awesome or awful...I am solo in workouts, I like it that way but would not be opposed to trying it with a SO
  • ParadigmShifter
    ParadigmShifter Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My next SO will be my gym buddy
  • katrina6823
    katrina6823 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    We go together but do seperate things :) mostly coz we're on opposite ends of the scale
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    No
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    My husband and I work out together. We do the same lifting routine, taking turns, and then we usually split up after that to do cardio or stretching or whatever.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    ^^this. We do similar with the same lifting routine. It's quite comical really as he is so much stronger than me and taller by a foot. Our accessory routines differ.

We make it work and mostly have fun. I'm not a talker at the gym, to Anyone. He is quite the opposite and likes to talk to me and gets frustrated bc my earbuds are in and I'm in the zone... Love working out together though.
  • mechell007
    mechell007 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Nope, he says his job is enough of a workout. My cousin is the one who got me into working out and we still do meet up a couple times a week. Can't get anyone else to workout though... Oh well.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We both exercise/lift. I do not care to workout with my SO, been married 2 decades and my exercise (running and lifting) is my 'me' time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Nope. My wife ballroom dances to stay in shape. And, I can't do a deadlift while doing the tango.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    My husband works out more than I do. We have been married 12 years and have never, ever worked out together. Now that I think about it, it's kind of weird, since we both lift. After having kids though, one has to be home when the other is at the gym.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We've tried it. It's better that we don't. Also I mostly do pole, which he isn't into.

ETA: We sometimes go at the same time and just do our own thing.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    In general we don't work out together. He would have to work out in order for there to be a chance for us to work out together. I like working out alone though so it's okay.

We will sometimes go swimming or for walks or to archery together. I'm trying to get him to go for the occasional bike ride with me.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Nope. He got excited about the whole thing twice. Started going with me but both times faded fast. He has so many other interests and hobbies that our schedules would hardly come together. and now we work 45 minutes in opposite directions from home. Like @punkrockgoth we do go for walks, biking or shoot archery together. he is just not into the gym thing much.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @megemrj Yeah, we mostly just have our earbuds in. We used to sometimes have only one in so we could talk, but it works out well. We can communicate well enough at the gym without talking.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Not really. We sometimes make a plan to run together, because when we met, we were running buddies and we miss that, but for the most part, we aren't doing the same things.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    We go to our personal trainer at the same time and do basically the same thing. On other days most of the time we go together and do the same thing.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    No. We did when we first married ten years ago, but not anymore. It's not that either of us aren't interested, just conflicting schedules. He works out in the early morning for his job, I prefer to work out in the evening after he comes home and work around the house and personal projects are done.

I wish we could work out together as it would be more motivational, but it's not doable right now and won't be in the foreseeable future.
  • mollyingrid92
    mollyingrid92 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    No SO or gym buddy. Lone wolf :(

I'll be you're gym buddy!