PROTEIN SHAKES WILL MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT!!

Options

Replies

• pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    Ah - MEN! My husband told me the same thing. Ignor him and just do your own research. There are "LEAN" Protein shakes that will help you loose weight. It's very good for your body to get in the nutirents that comes in these shakes - especially if you're working out. The BSN one is very good and if you get the whipped vanilla, you can add all kinds of things to it... just work them into your calories.

The kind that he's talking about are the "gainer" type proteins that the bodybuilding men and women use to increase calories and get HUGE. You wouldn't elect to have gainer protein anyway.

I've found www.bodybuilding.com to be extremely helpful while learning about what to give my body.

Good Luck!
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    thats what i was lead to believe as well ,,im sorry cant help you with the tech stuff ,but im sure youll get many replies ,,what i can tell you is im on the whey protein & im eating more than i used to ,,just healthier choices & small snacks throughout the day along side an exercise regime & i am losing weight at a super rate ,,i feel energised & good ,,i swear by the protein now lol im for sure not getting big muscles but i am toning my muscles up & losing weight ,,more than i did before someone recently pointed me in the right direction ,,its all about getting a good amount & healthy variety of cals ,a steady routine ,changing it every now & then ,,drinking plenty of water ,,protein shakes ,,i was feeling really quite ill before i started the new regime & i have a new found energy & my body is able to deal with so much more exercise ,,,,good luck & hope you get the techie reply you need ,i just wanted to tell you what the tub of magic powder has done for me x
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I don't think your husband is right. My protein shake is 120 calories, 4 carbs and 2 grams of fat, and 22 grams of protien. I've been having one for breakfast and one in the evening some nights, and I have been losing weight.

Maybe someone with a bit more knowlegde will add their experiences, but I think many people think they'll bulk you up because of the protein alone, and that's not how it works. And I suppose some protein shakes are quite sugary and unnatural, and I guess they could work against weight loss too.

Katie

Yes. I think that is EXACTLY what he thinks... the amount of protein will bulk me up. I think he's wrong too LOL I told him so but I didn't want to commit to anything without looking around first.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    YOu can also make your own shakes/smoothies....I do that for my kids especially when it's super hot because they feel like they're eating ice cream but it's milk/greek yogurt/fruit and ice. Yummy!
  • hovercar
    hovercar Posts: 15
    Options
    It all comes down to calories. If you drink a bunch of protein shakes and get too many calories, then you will gain weight. If you just add it to your regular diet as a way to get more protein, it will help stabilize your blood sugar, help you feel more full, and a bunch of other things that can be helpful.

Just watch the sugar content in some of those shake mixes- it can be outrageous! I like plain, unflavored whey protein mixed with oatmeal or in a smoothie with fruit.
  • NWLARealtor57
    NWLARealtor57 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is great but way to expensive for me, I just go to Sam's Club and get the 100 per cent Whey protein, the best kind for you, and mix frozen fruit and Almond Breeze unsweetened milk with it, kinda like a smoothie and it is good and filling.
  • AutumnisBSB
    AutumnisBSB Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have had several. I find that the Atkins Advantage which are premade are the best to me. They don't taste chalky. I like the milk chocolate delight the best and the latte one is 2nd best. They have 160 calories and 15gm of protein.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I don't think your husband is right. My protein shake is 120 calories, 4 carbs and 2 grams of fat, and 22 grams of protien. I've been having one for breakfast and one in the evening some nights, and I have been losing weight.

Maybe someone with a bit more knowlegde will add their experiences, but I think many people think they'll bulk you up because of the protein alone, and that's not how it works. And I suppose some protein shakes are quite sugary and unnatural, and I guess they could work against weight loss too.

Katie
    [/quote

What the name of your shake? Thanks
  • SusieMarie1
    SusieMarie1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are other uses for "meal replacement shakes" and reasons why they exist on the market for reasons other than "muscle growth" used in Protein shakes.

Because of one of my major illnesses, i have on occasion had to drink Boost, which are meal replacement shakes, even last week, and I choose the Extra Protein kind instead of the Plus (meaning extra calories for those who are seriously underweight and have to gain it back)

because at times, i am unable to eat -- in the hospital they put me on tubal feeding (also called TPN, or Total Parenteral Nutrition http://goo.gl/jAS3S ) which contains lipids (fats) in order to prevent wasting away. This, while I was "fat" - although suffering from severe malnutrition, and unable to eat while i healed over several weeks.

I hate Boost because yes, you can consume 4 in a day and be up to 900 + calories, and still feel hungry, but because of damaged intestines, being unable to absorb the nutrients from normal food, it's a good idea on occasion, I just wonder if anyone else has had to use these too?

i wish there was some other way to absorb it, without all the extra calories.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    Options
    I have had several. I find that the Atkins Advantage which are premade are the best to me. They don't taste chalky. I like the milk chocolate delight the best and the latte one is 2nd best. They have 160 calories and 15gm of protein.

Cool thanks! I'll check it out.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    My take... Make it yourself so you can control what goes into it.

Here is one that I make!

- 2 scoops Whey Protein (I use chocolate or vanilla... Trader Joe's brand)
    - 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    - 1/2 cup skim milk
    - 1/2 banana

This makes exactly enough to fill up a 16 oz glass...

Blend and enjoy!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    Options
    It all comes down to calories. If you drink a bunch of protein shakes and get too many calories, then you will gain weight. If you just add it to your regular diet as a way to get more protein, it will help stabilize your blood sugar, help you feel more full, and a bunch of other things that can be helpful.

Just watch the sugar content in some of those shake mixes- it can be outrageous! I like plain, unflavored whey protein mixed with oatmeal or in a smoothie with fruit.

Thank for the advice!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    Options
    My take... Make it yourself so you can control what goes into it.

Here is one that I make!

- 2 scoops Whey Protein (I use chocolate or vanilla... Trader Joe's brand)
    - 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    - 1/2 cup skim milk
    - 1/2 banana

This makes exactly enough to fill up a 16 oz glass...

Blend and enjoy!

Does the chocolate flavored whey actually taste like chocolate? I seriously want a "chocolate shake" :) without it being 1000 calories and 40 grams of fat.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My husband works to gain and I work to lose. We have the same protein powder. Body Fortress Whey Protein (got it at Walmart) I use one scoop with water 130 cal. He uses 2 scoops in milk and peanut butter 620 cal. We just fight over which flavors to use.

I recommend this over slim fast or their knock-offs because they have a lot of carbs. My hubby uses those for a post workout boost but I don't. 230 cal and 38 g sugar.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    Options
    My husband works to gain and I work to lose. We have the same protein powder. Body Fortress Whey Protein (got it at Walmart) I use one scoop with water 130 cal. He uses 2 scoops in milk and peanut butter 620 cal. We just fight over which flavors to use.

I recommend this over slim fast or their knock-offs because they have a lot of carbs. My hubby uses those for a post workout boost but I don't. 230 cal and 38 g sugar.

Yeah I looked at the slimfast ones and was put off by the ingredients and carbs/sugars. Thanks for the reply!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Does the chocolate flavored whey actually taste like chocolate? I seriously want a "chocolate shake" :) without it being 1000 calories and 40 grams of fat.

If you want one that REALLY tastes like chocolate then I'd recommend Cytosport Muscle Milk Naturals - Real Chocolate. It's absolutely delicious if mixed with some milk. I drink 1 serving every day, in addition to my breakfast, but I'm careful not to go over my calories at the end of the day. The downside is that it's a bit high in fat compared to other powders.

1 Scoop:

150 calories
    6 grams Fat
    15 mg Cholesterol
    9 grams Carbs (2 Fiber, 2 Sugar)
    150 mg sodium
    16 grams Protein

There are powders out there with better protein numbers, but I really like the Natural Real Chocolate. Plus it has zero artificial sweeteners - they use Stevia to sweeten it. Read the labels, go to the stores and do the research. You will find one you want to try. Just don't get one called a gainer because those are designed to make you gain weight. Also, check out the label for the Muscle Milk at Costco....they are relatively high in cholesterol for some reason. 75 mg in 1 scoop I think. If you are watching cholesterol then you might want to try one from someone else.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know about their recipe but if you use a little water 1/2 to 3/4 cup to dissolve the powder then add ice cubes then let it sit for a few min and blend again its not too bad. If you need a few extra calories and are using skim milk you can freeze is in cubes and add to the powder mixture. It isn't over thick, but its better than other options (like 1000 cal)
  • danniellevigue
    Options
    i gained a ton of weight on slim fast. i was drinking them like milkshakes. around a can a day. wow, i loved them. but i don't recommend them as a diet.
  • lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    i use the jillian michaels whey protein...the triple chocolate shake with 1/2 of a banana, 1 cup of blue diamond unsweetened chocolate almond milk and ice....yumm tastes like a chocolate milkshake and melted soft serve chocolate ice cream...so good. i also have the vanilla shake and that one is really good with fresh fruit and greek yogurt to make a smoothie. yum. its making me want one right now! lol

calories: 100
    fat: 2g
    Carbs: 7g
    fiber: 3g
    sugar: 3g
    protein: 15g
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    unless you are drinking enought to go WAY over your daily caloires no they will not make you gain wht.

i like the body fortress chocolate from walmart, not alot of carbs, a personal concern for me. i make it with almond milk, yumm
    and sometimes as a treat i wil at a tablespoon of the flavored coffee creamers double yum , who needs steak 'n' shake????

That is what I personally have started using minus the flavored creamer lol. But I was told that was the way to do it by a nutritionist. No soy milk, but almond milk, and the whey protein.