can you eat two slices of pizza if it fits in your calories?

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I do that every Thursday. Two slices of pepperoni pizza for lunch. Super yummy, probably half my calories for the day but totally worth it. We get it from a local chain but fortunately they list their pizzas in inches (like 14'' large) so I can easily compare to a chain place that does list calories.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I need to make a pizza fit into my day tomorrow...

Homemade with Gorgonzola and pineapples (yes... I'm one of those people :tongue: ) among other things...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The answer to the OP is clearly "yes," but...

The difficulty with pizza is the wide variation in calorie content.
    But if one is logging on MFP, one should be able to make a reasonable estimate of the calories no matter where it came from and then determine if it can be accommodated in their daily or weekly budget...
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    An entire pizza can fit in my calories if I work it right!
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Dr. Oetker thin crust pizza's are ~850 cals for the whole thing. They were also on 3 for $10 the first time I tried them. Makes a great dinner with some raw veggies. The 3 for $10 was just their way of getting me hooked and last time the price was 1 for $6. Damn drug pushers getting me all addicted and stuff.

Anyway, at $6, I don't think I can make one as cheap and certainly not as easy.

I checked out pizzas at Costco yesterday and found some cheap, but cheese only and I like meat. So when I checked the package for the pepperoni one, saw 260 cals per serving, but the serving was 1/6th of the pizza and I'm used to seeing a serving of 1/4 the pizza, so watch the labels so you don't get a nasty surprise.

The barbecue chicken pizza I posted earlier probably cost me 3 dollars in ingredients and a half hour to prepare, including making some dough and pre-cooking the chicken. I do use a pizza stone, so there is some wait time while it heats up, which I use for preparing the other parts of the pizza, but it can be done faster without.

Making your own doesn't have to be expensive or complicated.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    "can you eat two slices of pizza if it fits in your calories and still loose weight?"

Yes, calories determine weight loss not type of food.
    You can also eat any other food that fits your calorie goal and lose weight. So have pasta, potatoes, a burger, taco or cake sometimes too if you like those foods.

If you find it difficult to have 1-2 slices of a stuffed crust meat lovers pizza choose a thin crust pizza with lower calorie toppings instead. Pair a salad with your pizza to help fill you up without adding many calories to your meal.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Well, while pizza may fit in my calories, I don't find it especially filling for the calories, so I have to plan to eat a large salad with it to help fill me up, and exercise more.

400 calories of chicken, broccoli, potato, and butter fills me up, but I need closer to 600 calories of pizza and salad to be satisfied.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oetker thin crust pizza's are ~850 cals for the whole thing. They were also on 3 for $10 the first time I tried them. Makes a great dinner with some raw veggies. The 3 for $10 was just their way of getting me hooked and last time the price was 1 for $6. Damn drug pushers getting me all addicted and stuff.

Anyway, at $6, I don't think I can make one as cheap and certainly not as easy.

I checked out pizzas at Costco yesterday and found some cheap, but cheese only and I like meat. So when I checked the package for the pepperoni one, saw 260 cals per serving, but the serving was 1/6th of the pizza and I'm used to seeing a serving of 1/4 the pizza, so watch the labels so you don't get a nasty surprise.

When I buy frozen pizza I buy cheese ones. Then I add turkey pepperoni (70% less fat). The taste is every bit as good. But the texture is a little stiff, cutting the slices into quarters solves that. I buy a big pouch of pepperoni and stash it in the freezer for next time.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    Aren't we making this a little complicated? The answer to the question is emphatically YES.

Of course different types of pizza can vary in calories; but if it fits, it fits!

I agree - if it fits in the calorie goal then absolutely. We don't have to torture ourselves to lose weight, or just eat salad. While eating more whole foods is always a good idea, making the foods you enjoy work within your calories really will make for long term, sustained success.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Yes...as long as there is no pineapple on it.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want. This being said a lot of people choose to make their own so that they can measure what is in/on it accurately or chose healthier alternatives to some of the higher calorie items so that they can eat more. My only word of advise is that although you can eat whatever you want as long as you are at a deficit make sure that you are accurately logging as there are various sizes of pizza slices out there
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    2 slices, yes. 3 slices though...nope.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    You can eat whatever you want. This being said a lot of people choose to make their own so that they can measure what is in/on it accurately or chose healthier alternatives to some of the higher calorie items so that they can eat more. My only word of advise is that although you can eat whatever you want as long as you are at a deficit make sure that you are accurately logging as there are various sizes of pizza slices out there

A tip for logging pizza: for big chains, the slice weight is a known value and all you need to do is to weigh your portion (for example, Papa John's thin crust cheese pizza is 230 something calories per 100g). For frozen, at least here, calories are given by weight. For pizzerias, well, these need to be guesstimated.