That 1 thing you cant give up?

Replies

• nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    Chocolate. I managed to completely give up soda and potato chips (and oh how it's hard not eating those) and I significantly reduced my coffee intake from 5-6 cups a day to maybe 2-3 cups a week, I still have creamer and sugar in it though. I know I can still eat them, in moderation, but I'm trying to maintain healthier eating habits for me.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    I haven't given up anything other than a lot of calories I'd rather be eating lol
    McDonald's has a sugar free coffee that's amazing (AND IT's1$ DRINK DAYS!!!) and about 90 cals... maybe try and make some low calorie substitutions (ask for with milk vs cream, sugar free if it's an option)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    @Myth

I was buying the Starbucks mocha ones from the store. They have a light version. Since I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners, it was nasty to me.

Now, my treat is: I mix 1 scoop of pure protein chocolate protein powder with 1 scoop of mocha powder and 16 oz of warm water (to help dissolve the powders). Refrigerate overnight. I get that thick, creamy chocolate mocha taste with 28 grams of protein. It's 360 calories but I work it in because I just enjoy it.
  • bethfromme
    bethfromme Posts: 4 Member
    I won't give up my coffee with creamer even though the creamer I use (International Delight) is not really healthy!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I gave up pop. Beyond that just reduced things.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Nothing comes to mind
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited May 2017
    If you're talking about things it's hard to have proper portion control over, for me it's probably scooby doo graham sticks. I can't control myself very well around them. I either have to eat them followed by a protein, or not at all otherwise I hit the bottom of the box! I still keep them around though...
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    I have a hard time with Mayo and wine.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Together????

Yuck

:)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Myth wrote: »
    Does anyone have that one thing that they completely just cave on. Do you still have did you find a substitute, how did/do you handle it?

Riding a bike. In the winter I substitute Nordic skiing.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member

Mmmm!

Mayowine for the win.
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Real sugar in my coffee. I've tried every darn sugar substitute and they just seem to mess up my morning brew. Back in the day when I was on WW, I loved the hell out of some Splenda but now I just can't do it. I have about 45 calories worth (3 tsp) in my morning cup but I always think that I could have used those calories elsewhere. Oh well! It is what it is!
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Depending on what flavor you are drinking, I would make my own simple syrup. Just double or triple the flavoring to make it stronger and you will use less. Simple syrup is just 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water heated till the sugar dissolves. If you make the cold brewed coffee, flavored simple syrup and low or no fat milk, you could cut the calories way down. The up side to this is the cost would also go way down. Good luck.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    I used to think I couldn't give up chocolate but I've done just that, at least for a month, just so show myself that I can. After this month I'm bringing it back. The challenge will be having a little bit every day... not three full sized bars a day.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Diet Coke
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Ice cream. I love all flavors. Halo Top has been a big help in saving calories, but I do prefer the creamier, richer ice creams (such as Ben and Jerry's).
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    maybe its Soda.

If that is the case, that's easy. Switch to diet soda, problem solved!

Nnnnnooooooooo! I am not going to say I understand all the science however there are plenty of independant sources that are convinced diet soda is not good for you. Check out some of the forums on MFP for starters and you can get links to sites that are not just hearsay.

Those sources that are convinced may be independent, but they are not reliable. There is no good reason to be fearful of diet soda.

I wasn't saying diet soda is going to damage you, however they are not any better for you than regular soda which are not good for you. Even the British Medical Journal (the government medical advice panel) states that diet soda has no proven benefit for weight loss over full sugar drinks. The diet drink still triggers insulin which is part of the fat storage processes of the body. The University of Texas conducted a ten year study of diet drinkers -v- non-diet drinkers and the diet drinkers INCREASED their weight more than the non-diet (don't ask me about other factors as I didn't read the whole thing). There are plenty of other bodies conducting research into artificial sweeteners and it is not because they all think they are wonderfully good for you.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    maybe its Soda.

If that is the case, that's easy. Switch to diet soda, problem solved!

Nnnnnooooooooo! I am not going to say I understand all the science however there are plenty of independant sources that are convinced diet soda is not good for you. Check out some of the forums on MFP for starters and you can get links to sites that are not just hearsay.

Those sources that are convinced may be independent, but they are not reliable. There is no good reason to be fearful of diet soda.

I wasn't saying diet soda is going to damage you, however they are not any better for you than regular soda which are not good for you. Even the British Medical Journal (the government medical advice panel) states that diet soda has no proven benefit for weight loss over full sugar drinks. The diet drink still triggers insulin which is part of the fat storage processes of the body. The University of Texas conducted a ten year study of diet drinkers -v- non-diet drinkers and the diet drinkers INCREASED their weight more than the non-diet (don't ask me about other factors as I didn't read the whole thing). There are plenty of other bodies conducting research into artificial sweeteners and it is not because they all think they are wonderfully good for you.

Neither is a health food but obviously the diet variety will not have as many, if any, calories.

I haven't seen studies proving an insulin response to sugar free sweeteners.

I always wonder about the gaining on diet soda thing. Isn't it logical that the diet drinkers were already struggling with their weight, ergo they decided to start drinking diet drinks? Maybe someone can clear that up for me but IMO, duh, of course the average person compelled to drink calorie free rather than calorie laden drinks is more likely to experience weight gain over time, as that person has already been having weight issues. This person was likely to gain whether s/he was drinking any soda (diet or regular), or not.

I'm not saying it's impossible that sugar substitutes have some sort of effect but if they do affect insulin, so what? So does every single bite of food we put into our mouths. If we don't want an "insulin response" we will have to not eat. As in, ever. I'd love to see a study showing whether this "insulin" release is higher than, say, that of a bowl of cereal (or even anywhere near approaching that high). If not then come on. We'd all have to eat a couple tablespoons of food at a time or something in order to avoid this "problem."

If you're going to fall apart and go off the wall from a quite small squirt of insulin that could possibly come from a teaspoonful of Splenda then you have much bigger problems than diet soda. JMO.

FTR, N=1: I love diet soda. Currently I am the lowest weight I have been since 2002, and dropping.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Won't give up cream and sugar in my first 5 am coffee. I can do black coffee later in the day. Not at 5 am.
  • Myth
    Myth Posts: 299 Member
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas and just knowing that I'm not the only one struggling is a good feeling.