How to accept that this will be a life-long effort?

Options

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Being cognizant of your intake and limiting your intake is hard.
    Being obese is hard.

Choose your hard.

I've found after years at maintenance, it's easier as the habits are more ingrained and I'm more used to the portions. But it's still something that takes some effort.

I still have some big eating days, like the holidays. But life is meant to be enjoyed, and as long as you aren't making those a regular thing, you can fit in days like that. Consistency, not perfection. This has kept me maintaining my weight for 6+ years at this point.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It sucks. I know that feeling very well. But then I remind myself that if my biggest problem in life is too much food, then I'm much better off than a significant portion of the world.
  • jupiterjazzes
    jupiterjazzes Posts: 1 Member
    Options

You don't have to "accept" anything. Either do it or don't.

You just have to decide what you want.
    If you don't want to do it, then don't.

No excuses.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This knowledge has had the opposite impact on my perception of calorie tracking. I would consider people foolish if they didn't balance their checkbook and periodically review their finances. There is nothing intuitive to weight management. The advent of smartphones and sites such as MFP an easy activity. This is simple risk management and an easy trade off.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    The cost/work of logging and maintaining is well rewarded by how I feel-- walking lighter, fitting into clothes nicer, being able to do yoga. When I get bummed out about all the effort-- I bring my thoughts back to the rewards!
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You don't have to "accept" anything. Either do it or don't.

You just have to decide what you want.
    If you don't want to do it, then don't.

No excuses.

gd76usgc6vhu.jpg
  • lookatthatlady1
    lookatthatlady1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know how you're feeling! I'm a sahm to a very active four year old. I feel like alls I think about is food considering I don't have much going on besides taking care of my son and the house. Not to mention I have Lupus and was injuried in a car accident last September so excercise isn't really an option for me. I solely relay on counting calories. I've been successful at maintaining for almost a year and a half but have found it very difficult on a day to day basis. I watch my husband eat cups of ice cream and order a big Mac and sometimes it depresses me. I have a totally different relationship with food now. I do eat either a candy bar or a half cup of ice cream everyday and can honestly say I haven't gained from that at all. But knowing I have to be this strict on dieting for the rest of my life really is a hard thing to grasp. But it's better than being over weight I guess.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintenance for almost 6 years. I still log every day, but estimating is good enough now, so my diary is pretty loose, but obviously 'ballpark' close. After a while, a guess becomes pretty accurate, and I don't go into cardiac arrest if I'm over my calorie budget.
    I still step on the scale every time I walk by, but just record the results once a week ... an average of several figures. This avoids daily fluctuations of a couple of pounds so my graph is flatter & just shows a trend.
    Make a game of logging and weighing. Don't make it a painful chore. Taking just a few seconds to make entries while you are on hold or waiting for a large file to download or while sitting in the waiting room for an appointment will reduce the stress of entering numbers AND the time will pass faster!
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For me, I decided a little over 3 years ago and this is the best I felt in a long time. :)The reward outweighs the daily logging, because I have a lot more energy. I'm ok with this being a life long journey because life is a lot better for me when I'm healthier. Feel free to add me if you like and it's helpful to have MFP friends to push you through your bad days. Good Luck and stay positive!!
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Make the commitment be to something that helped you get to the point you now are, but that you enjoyed - or even loved - doing. For me, that's rowing. I started it as one part of my exercise program to help with the weight loss and discovered that I still love the rowing experience as much as I did my freshman year of college. So, now I'm a rower, complete with online logbook, personal goals, online community teams and challenges, and so forth. It's something I'll do as long as I physically can, and it's something that will help me achieve and maintain my desired weight. It'll also keep me tracking my calories after I reach goal weight in order to keep my rowing performance at it's peak.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    It becomes your normal, like brushing your teeth or taking daily vitamins/meds. I am so very grateful, though, for a tool like MFP--it makes keeping track of my daily intake so much easier! I can't imagine doing this jotting everything in a notebook and guessing a lot.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,345 Member
    Options
    I'm 20lbs short of maintenance, but our youngest son was visiting yesterday, so I asked him how he kept his weight off. He was about 350 in his senior high school year, I didn't ask how much he weighs now but he wears size medium clothes & he's fit. He works out. He said after he lost weight, he became more active because it felt good & he was able to do it. He played racquetball quite a bit, enjoys bike riding & generally likes being active. He even has an outdoor job. He is now 33. & hasn't gained any back. He likes to eat too but doesn't eat "junk" or oily food, he does most of the cooking for himself, wife & little girl. When we go there to eat, he usually grills some kind of meat & grills veggies with it. thought I'd share. He never counted calories, just started eating different & exercising when he started.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm not someone who had a long weight loss journey and has "loosely maintained" for years--the biggest my range has ever been has been 15 lbs, but normally I have a range of half that (low 140s to mid 130s is typical for me.) Which is to say, sometimes my clothes are tight, sometimes they are loose, usually they fit right, but they are the same size and I only get rid of them when they are out of style, not because I've outgrown them.

These little dips and leaps are really what "maintenance" is over a lifetime. Because vacations happen and you get stressed about work and stop tracking for a few days or you underestimate how many calories are in that salad that you have been ordering every day since it's just SO good...and then what happens is you have a few too many high weigh ins in a row, and then you're back on. You draw a line in the sand (141 is my line) and if you see a certain number, that's IT. There will be no more of that goofing around, the gloves are on, the food scale is out, let's DO THIS.

Notice that I am a member here, have several food/diet apps on my phone, belong to one gym and three fitness studios, subscribe to Runner's World and have a separate dresser in my room that's just for workout clothes. Loss/gain/tracking is part of my life. And while it's never really over, I think feeling good in my own skin makes the effort worth it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Tell you what, a blood glucose testing kit will give you a quick introduction to cruel reality. There are no cheat days if you're diabetic - your blood sugar does not care if it's your birthday or your anniversary, it will show you the exact number of how your body feels about what you just put in it. Misbehave too much and you could end up in a coma and die, or at the very least go blind or have your feet go numb.

If you are not diabetic, I suggest that contemplating the horrible reality of becoming one if you don't lose weight might help you stick to your goals. It's always better to learn your lessons before it's too late.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I'm 20lbs short of maintenance, but our youngest son was visiting yesterday, so I asked him how he kept his weight off. He was about 350 in his senior high school year, I didn't ask how much he weighs now but he wears size medium clothes & he's fit. He works out. He said after he lost weight, he became more active because it felt good & he was able to do it. He played racquetball quite a bit, enjoys bike riding & generally likes being active. He even has an outdoor job. He is now 33. & hasn't gained any back. He likes to eat too but doesn't eat "junk" or oily food, he does most of the cooking for himself, wife & little girl. When we go there to eat, he usually grills some kind of meat & grills veggies with it. thought I'd share. He never counted calories, just started eating different & exercising when he started.

Yeah that works for some people. For others like me who would have no problem skipping the entree to go straight to dessert, it's much harder, honestly.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I find this hard too. What can work is allowing yourself a 5lb buffer. Still watch what you eat, of course. But allow yourself to eat out and have that icecream if you want. Keep an eye on the scales. If you get to the top of your buffer, cut calories until you get back to the bottom. Don't let it blow out of control.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I figure its like brushing my teeth. if I want to have teeth in a few years, I need to do it, even though it's really tedious and time-consuming. Same thing with watching my food and activity levels.

I lost 65 lbs when I was 19, but I did it in a very unhealthy manner. I regained healthy habits with a good deal of effort, but I also regained weight, particularly when health problems led to a significant reduction in activity. This was a profound mistake, but understandable because of fear of re-visiting the bad experiences I had surrounding my earlier weight loss including disordered eating.

Shockingly, I let things get very out of control over the next several years, but have since lost all the regained weight (and am almost 10 lbs lighter than I was at my lightest before to my utter amazement) without any disordered eating or obsessive exercise.

I intend on maintaining this weight, no matter what, because now my future well-being depends critically on it (due to the aforementioned health problems). I can live with the annoyance of watching my net calories because its FAR less annoying than the consequences of being overweight for me. Like brushing my teeth; which is far less annoying than being toothless.

Addendum: You have given no insight into what your height and weight are, or body fat percentage you are trying to maintain. Whether these are reasonable given the effort you need to put in may be an issue.
  • LewisAMartinez
    LewisAMartinez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It helps to keep a midterm fitness goal in mind (e.g. running a half marathon or hiking, say, the Grand Canyon.) That gives something to focus on and reminds you why you lost the weight in the first place.