Need an answer please???

Options
TerreK
TerreK Posts: 21 Member
I'm confused...I have been having sucessful weight loss, but not as much/quickly as I'd like....idk if I'm not eating enough or too much??? On MFP, should I only eat my 1200 alloted cals that I start the day with, or the total available by the time my exercise is added in??? (Sometimes as much as 1600?) Sorry if this isn't making sense...I can try and clarify, if someone can help me...

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are losing too slowly, then you are eating too much
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This program wouldn't add the calories to your daily goal if you weren't supposed to eat them.
    Your goal is 1200 + any exercise calories.

Whether your food and exercise logging is accurate or not is another matter entirely. :)

How fast are you actually losing weight? And over what time period?
    Your rate of loss over an extended period of time is your best guide to your actual (not estimated) deficit.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Cut your calories and increase your workouts. The greater your calorie deficit the faster you'll lose weight.
  • peterbuller8
    peterbuller8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    only eat back half your exercise calls
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Define "Success" and "As quickly as I'd like" please?

Remember that a pound a week is a very reasonable level of success, that two pounds a week is VERY fast, and more than that is .... unreasonable to expect.
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use the base calories as what I must eat
    and the exercise calories as ones I can use if I choose to
    Also if you lose weight very quickly it can be very hard to maintain that, so a steady 2lb a week is a better rate to aim for
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TerreK wrote: »
    I'm confused...I have been having sucessful weight loss, but not as much/quickly as I'd like....idk if I'm not eating enough or too much??? On MFP, should I only eat my 1200 alloted cals that I start the day with, or the total available by the time my exercise is added in??? (Sometimes as much as 1600?) Sorry if this isn't making sense...I can try and clarify, if someone can help me...
    mlz1413 wrote: »
    I use the base calories as what I must eat
    and the exercise calories as ones I can use if I choose to
    Also if you lose weight very quickly it can be very hard to maintain that, so a steady 2lb a week is a better rate to aim for

I'm with savithny

Success is losing but not as fast as I like seems unrealistic but then you add in "eating too little" and that to me shows a bit of education is required.

Do you use a food scale? measure food using cups? log everything everyday?

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    in eating, calorie is like money. when MFP gives u a 1200 calorie daily allowance is like u have 1200 to spend on food. each time u eat, u buy the food with calories n u have less in ur account. when u exercise, u MAKE money (calories) so u can decided to keep it in the bank (lose more weight) or spend some or all of it (on eating more). But some of the money u make is monopoly money because MFPs estimate in that department is too high so try only eat back half, at most, of the money u make. if u r saying that u burned 1600 calories, then I really doubt that because one hour of intense HIGH IMPACT cardio is only around 500 to 600 for an average person (I m a certified fitness instructor) n oNE hour of lifting is 200 to 300 at best. Need more explanation on this from u on how u get 1600. Make sure u have a food scale to ensure accurate food tracking.

hope that i m making it clearer for u. U r on the RIGHT track but just need some minor adjustments, GOOD LUCK!
  • TerreK
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    This program wouldn't add the calories to your daily goal if you weren't supposed to eat them.
    Your goal is 1200 + any exercise calories.

Whether your food and exercise logging is accurate or not is another matter entirely. :)

How fast are you actually losing weight? And over what time period?
    Your rate of loss over an extended period of time is your best guide to your actual (not estimated) deficit.

I've lost 12# in 9wks....truthfully, I'm not working out at all...so, I know I can boost that to burn cals/lose more....but I wasn't clear on MFP calculation of cals to consume. I'm not certain what type of work out regime I should start...I'm looking to tone mostly?
    Thanks for the help!
    Terre☺️
  • TerreK
    Options
    I've lost 12# in 9wks...truthfully, I'm not working out at all...so, I know I can boost that to burn cals/lose more....but, I wasn't clear on MFP calculation of cals to consume. I'm also not certain what type of work out regime I should start....I'm looking to tone mostly?
    Thanks for the help!
    Terre☺️
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm also not certain what type of work out regime I should start....I'm looking to tone mostly?
    Thanks for the help!
    Terre☺️

Resistance/Strength training is good for toning up. Depending on what equipment you have available to you, you can do this with bodyweight alone or take up some lifting. There are some tips here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300310/most-helpful-posts-fitness-and-exercise-must-reads#latest

You can find really good workouts on Youtube that you can do at home. I'm a fan of HASFIT personally but there are plenty of other options/styles/workout types.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you have lost 12 pounds in 9 weeks you are doing nearly everything right. Keep doing what you are doing.

My experience is that exercise does not speed up weight loss as much as it makes me feel better and stronger. If you exercise too much too soon you risk temporary water weight gain (no big deal but if you are expecting instant credit from all that sweat equity you may be disappointed).
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Working out also brings the swelling from the inflamation process muscles go through when excersize is applied. That causes a gain. More activity usually increases hunger too, as mor calories expended require more calories to replenish. So moderate excersize and plenty of rest while eating at a deficit works better for some people.
  • TerreK
    Options
    Wow?!?!!! Thanks so much everyone!!! Such great insight & information.....So, it kinda sounds like a "weighting" game??? (Bawhahaha!!!! Sorry, that was lame....but, I couldn't resist!!!) Of course, it's rewarding to see the scale going down...and I can notice in the way my body looks/feels...I've just never had to try & lose weight b4, so I thought when I entered, "2# per week" as my goal, that I'd get 2# off per week. I don't really know anything about dieting/working out/or very much about nutrition??? Except I love all veggies & most fruits and I guess that's a good thing? I eat lean meat on occasion & love fish! I'll welcome any and all advice....this community is AWESOME AND INSPIRING!!!!! THANK YOU!!!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Of course, it's rewarding to see the scale going down...and I can notice in the way my body looks/feels...

2nd part (bolded) first. The scale going down follows if you have the process right. (But it never ever ever ever, or I should say rarely ever goes in a linear process in the short term.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you like fruit and veg then that's great, along with protein it will be easy for you to make those an easy thing to include in your everyday food choices. Besides that, eat things you enjoy within your calories, include some treats if you can moderate them and just have patience. Be consistent and the results will come.