That 1 thing you cant give up?

124

Replies

  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    I can but have decided not to give up regular coffee creamer. The sugarless ones taste awful
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    Happily, I haven't had to give anything up. :)

    In fact, when I started with MFP, I made the decision that I would eat only the foods I liked. I would not waste my calories on anything I didn't like.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    cheese

    zp9j9myhtdbj.jpg
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    raw cookie dough, pizza, and alcohol. oops couldn't pick just one
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    Alcohol on the weekends and not tracking calories. 2 steps forward and one step back. I'm so vigilant during the weekday tracking and then Friday evening comes. I love to relax with my husband and have several vodka sodas with a lime twist or share a bottle of wine. Ok, fine, everything in moderation. But what happens is my relaxed attitude extends the rest of the weekend. I don't want to think about tracking everything. I take care of the family, do a million chores and events with the kids and then chill at night. I'm certain I go over over my daily limit but not by huge amounts. Just enough to gain a pound. It's just so exhausting sometimes being a mom. Plan dinners all week, work full-time, do errands, take care of your family of 5 (3 kids ages 4-12). It's ok but I know that if I stayed focused on the weekend my weightless journey would progress more rapidly. I guess I'm ok with that. I have to balance my sanity with my weight loss goals. I just need to get my head in the game and track on the weekends.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    The 3 things in my username
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    The 3 things in my username

    1473112227574.jpg
  • Fantasypugs
    Fantasypugs Posts: 40 Member
    KM0692 wrote: »
    Ice cream. I love all flavors. Halo Top has been a big help in saving calories, but I do prefer the creamier, richer ice creams (such as Ben and Jerry's).

    Right there with you on the ice cream!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

    "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
    Never gonna run around and desert you
    Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
    Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you…"


    Ohh you meant food (just kidding I knew that's what you meant but couldn't resist posting the video).

    Anyway for me it is chocolate or diet rootbeer. Oh and cara cara oranges because they are amazing!!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Oh crap. We've been Rick-rolled... :p
  • Myth
    Myth Posts: 299 Member
    LOL yall make someone laugh
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Not really "can't" give up, but "won't" ..... Coffee creamer and alcohol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2017
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    maybe its Soda.

    If that is the case, that's easy. Switch to diet soda, problem solved!

    Nnnnnooooooooo! I am not going to say I understand all the science however there are plenty of independant sources that are convinced diet soda is not good for you. Check out some of the forums on MFP for starters and you can get links to sites that are not just hearsay.

    Those sources that are convinced may be independent, but they are not reliable. There is no good reason to be fearful of diet soda.

    I wasn't saying diet soda is going to damage you, however they are not any better for you than regular soda which are not good for you. Even the British Medical Journal (the government medical advice panel) states that diet soda has no proven benefit for weight loss over full sugar drinks. The diet drink still triggers insulin which is part of the fat storage processes of the body. The University of Texas conducted a ten year study of diet drinkers -v- non-diet drinkers and the diet drinkers INCREASED their weight more than the non-diet (don't ask me about other factors as I didn't read the whole thing). There are plenty of other bodies conducting research into artificial sweeteners and it is not because they all think they are wonderfully good for you.

    You say "don't ask me about other factors," but other factors are important. If people consume more calories because they feel the diet soda gives them allowance to do so, they're obviously going to gain weight.

    In order to prove your point, you'd need to demonstrate that people gained weight *without additional calories* just through consuming a zero calorie beverage. There are no studies that show that, to my knowledge.

    If diet drinks trigger insulin, then how are diabetics able to safely consume them? If what you are saying is true, there would be multiple cases of diabetics being harmed by diet drinks -- yet the American Diabetes Association doesn't tell diabetics to avoid these drinks. Do you think they're fine with people being harmed by them?

    The reason there is so much research into artificial sweeteners is because there are people like you who refuse to accept the previous research and continue to fear-monger about them.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,520 Member
    edited May 2017
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    maybe its Soda.

    If that is the case, that's easy. Switch to diet soda, problem solved!

    Nnnnnooooooooo! I am not going to say I understand all the science however there are plenty of independant sources that are convinced diet soda is not good for you. Check out some of the forums on MFP for starters and you can get links to sites that are not just hearsay.

    Those sources that are convinced may be independent, but they are not reliable. There is no good reason to be fearful of diet soda.

    I wasn't saying diet soda is going to damage you, however they are not any better for you than regular soda which are not good for you. Even the British Medical Journal (the government medical advice panel) states that diet soda has no proven benefit for weight loss over full sugar drinks. The diet drink still triggers insulin which is part of the fat storage processes of the body. The University of Texas conducted a ten year study of diet drinkers -v- non-diet drinkers and the diet drinkers INCREASED their weight more than the non-diet (don't ask me about other factors as I didn't read the whole thing). There are plenty of other bodies conducting research into artificial sweeteners and it is not because they all think they are wonderfully good for you.

    Neither is a health food but obviously the diet variety will not have as many, if any, calories.

    I haven't seen studies proving an insulin response to sugar free sweeteners.

    I always wonder about the gaining on diet soda thing. Isn't it logical that the diet drinkers were already struggling with their weight, ergo they decided to start drinking diet drinks? Maybe someone can clear that up for me but IMO, duh, of course the average person compelled to drink calorie free rather than calorie laden drinks is more likely to experience weight gain over time, as that person has already been having weight issues. This person was likely to gain whether s/he was drinking any soda (diet or regular), or not.

    I'm not saying it's impossible that sugar substitutes have some sort of effect but if they do affect insulin, so what? So does every single bite of food we put into our mouths. If we don't want an "insulin response" we will have to not eat. As in, ever. I'd love to see a study showing whether this "insulin" release is higher than, say, that of a bowl of cereal (or even anywhere near approaching that high). If not then come on. We'd all have to eat a couple tablespoons of food at a time or something in order to avoid this "problem."

    If you're going to fall apart and go off the wall from a quite small squirt of insulin that could possibly come from a teaspoonful of Splenda then you have much bigger problems than diet soda. JMO.

    FTR, N=1: I love diet soda. Currently I am the lowest weight I have been since 2002, and dropping.

    I have a bottle of diet coke in the fridge, not because I think it is going to help me lose weight but I would rather spend my limited calories on real food, not waste it on sugar. I haven't drunk it in 3 weeks since I got it for free with something else I bought. If I want something sparkling I'll have a San Pellegrino.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    maybe its Soda.

    If that is the case, that's easy. Switch to diet soda, problem solved!

    Nnnnnooooooooo! I am not going to say I understand all the science however there are plenty of independant sources that are convinced diet soda is not good for you. Check out some of the forums on MFP for starters and you can get links to sites that are not just hearsay.

    Those sources that are convinced may be independent, but they are not reliable. There is no good reason to be fearful of diet soda.

    I wasn't saying diet soda is going to damage you, however they are not any better for you than regular soda which are not good for you. Even the British Medical Journal (the government medical advice panel) states that diet soda has no proven benefit for weight loss over full sugar drinks. The diet drink still triggers insulin which is part of the fat storage processes of the body. The University of Texas conducted a ten year study of diet drinkers -v- non-diet drinkers and the diet drinkers INCREASED their weight more than the non-diet (don't ask me about other factors as I didn't read the whole thing). There are plenty of other bodies conducting research into artificial sweeteners and it is not because they all think they are wonderfully good for you.

    Neither is a health food but obviously the diet variety will not have as many, if any, calories.

    I haven't seen studies proving an insulin response to sugar free sweeteners.

    I always wonder about the gaining on diet soda thing. Isn't it logical that the diet drinkers were already struggling with their weight, ergo they decided to start drinking diet drinks? Maybe someone can clear that up for me but IMO, duh, of course the average person compelled to drink calorie free rather than calorie laden drinks is more likely to experience weight gain over time, as that person has already been having weight issues. This person was likely to gain whether s/he was drinking any soda (diet or regular), or not.

    I'm not saying it's impossible that sugar substitutes have some sort of effect but if they do affect insulin, so what? So does every single bite of food we put into our mouths. If we don't want an "insulin response" we will have to not eat. As in, ever. I'd love to see a study showing whether this "insulin" release is higher than, say, that of a bowl of cereal (or even anywhere near approaching that high). If not then come on. We'd all have to eat a couple tablespoons of food at a time or something in order to avoid this "problem."

    If you're going to fall apart and go off the wall from a quite small squirt of insulin that could possibly come from a teaspoonful of Splenda then you have much bigger problems than diet soda. JMO.

    FTR, N=1: I love diet soda. Currently I am the lowest weight I have been since 2002, and dropping.

    I have a bottle of diet coke in the fridge, not because I think it is going to help me lose weight but I would rather spend my limited calories on real food, not waste it on sugar. I haven't drunk it in 3 weeks since I got it for free with something else I bought. If I want something sparkling I'll have a San Pellegrino.

    And that's fabulous it's what works for you! I love diet pop as I drink one occasionally for the caffeine-no calories! Works for me!
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    If I could be fit and healthy on it, I'd eat french fries every day! :D
  • motorcyclediva
    motorcyclediva Posts: 4 Member
    I just started MFP a week ago and the thing I love SO MUCH about it is that you don't have to give up anything! I saw a box of donuts in the break room at work, so I walked around the entire hospital block on my break and treated myself to half a donut! I'm loving this community!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    maybe its Soda.

    If that is the case, that's easy. Switch to diet soda, problem solved!

    Nnnnnooooooooo! I am not going to say I understand all the science however there are plenty of independant sources that are convinced diet soda is not good for you. Check out some of the forums on MFP for starters and you can get links to sites that are not just hearsay.

    Those sources that are convinced may be independent, but they are not reliable. There is no good reason to be fearful of diet soda.

    I wasn't saying diet soda is going to damage you, however they are not any better for you than regular soda which are not good for you. Even the British Medical Journal (the government medical advice panel) states that diet soda has no proven benefit for weight loss over full sugar drinks. The diet drink still triggers insulin which is part of the fat storage processes of the body. The University of Texas conducted a ten year study of diet drinkers -v- non-diet drinkers and the diet drinkers INCREASED their weight more than the non-diet (don't ask me about other factors as I didn't read the whole thing). There are plenty of other bodies conducting research into artificial sweeteners and it is not because they all think they are wonderfully good for you.

    Neither is a health food but obviously the diet variety will not have as many, if any, calories.

    I haven't seen studies proving an insulin response to sugar free sweeteners.

    I always wonder about the gaining on diet soda thing. Isn't it logical that the diet drinkers were already struggling with their weight, ergo they decided to start drinking diet drinks? Maybe someone can clear that up for me but IMO, duh, of course the average person compelled to drink calorie free rather than calorie laden drinks is more likely to experience weight gain over time, as that person has already been having weight issues. This person was likely to gain whether s/he was drinking any soda (diet or regular), or not.

    I'm not saying it's impossible that sugar substitutes have some sort of effect but if they do affect insulin, so what? So does every single bite of food we put into our mouths. If we don't want an "insulin response" we will have to not eat. As in, ever. I'd love to see a study showing whether this "insulin" release is higher than, say, that of a bowl of cereal (or even anywhere near approaching that high). If not then come on. We'd all have to eat a couple tablespoons of food at a time or something in order to avoid this "problem."

    If you're going to fall apart and go off the wall from a quite small squirt of insulin that could possibly come from a teaspoonful of Splenda then you have much bigger problems than diet soda. JMO.

    FTR, N=1: I love diet soda. Currently I am the lowest weight I have been since 2002, and dropping.

    I have a bottle of diet coke in the fridge, not because I think it is going to help me lose weight but I would rather spend my limited calories on real food, not waste it on sugar. I haven't drunk it in 3 weeks since I got it for free with something else I bought. If I want something sparkling I'll have a San Pellegrino.

    diet coke is zero calories...
  • ashesnposies333
    ashesnposies333 Posts: 59 Member
    Alcohol, pizza, pot brownies. What's moderation? Wish I knew, it would literally be so easy to drop the last twenty pounds if I stopped drinking every weekend and didn't eat so much pizza
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    edited May 2017
    I can't give up cheese, either. Cheese is life. I would rather give chocolate, sugar, and booze before cheese. I also love PB. I know it's high in calories, but my god, it's worth every one of them. Oh, I stopped drinking soda/diet soda forever ago and you know what? You honestly don't miss it after awhile. If I really want something fizzy, I crack open a seltzer water. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll even plunk in a few frozen strawberries.