PROTEIN SHAKES WILL MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT!!

Options

Replies

• Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I have had several. I find that the Atkins Advantage which are premade are the best to me. They don't taste chalky. I like the milk chocolate delight the best and the latte one is 2nd best. They have 160 calories and 15gm of protein.

15 Protein sounds great I am always looking to up my protein without adding fat or carbs as I have NO problem filling THOSE numbers..LOL
  • nilla32zoe
    nilla32zoe Posts: 18
    Options
    Shakeology is the way to go! It has benefits of regularity, weight loss and helps with cravings
    ask me how to get some!:drinker: :drinker:
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I drink Vi-shape nutritional shakes from Visalus sciences. They are meal replacement shakes that are so delicious and full of nutrition. Its a sweet cream flavor! I drink a milkshake after workout, and one in the evening as a small meal/snack, or sometimes dessert!
    2 scoops has: 90 calories, 1 gram fat, 1 gram sugar, 5 fiber, 75mg sodium
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I use an Optimum Nutrition Shake, which is a little higher on calories for a protein shake (it's the NitroCore 24) at 200 calories per scoop. But if I'm using it as a meal replacement, 200 calories isn't bad. Even if I use a cup of skim milk, it's still under 300 calories for a 'meal.'
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I do not use protein shakes as a meal replacement. But I do use it as an after workout snack. I've lost 41 lb so far, haven't gained. So, it's apparent your husband does not know what he's talking about here. Protein does not make you gain weight. Not unless you go over your calories. The protein shake I currently use has 120 calories and 25g Protein per scoop. I just fit it into my daily calories. Protein is essential after workouts.

Edited to add: I usually use 2 scoops mixed with plain water because I can afford it after working out. The brand I use is Smart Sense, sold by Kmart.

Thinking about trying the Pure Protein brand shake powder though because their protein bars are so yummy.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Does the chocolate flavored whey actually taste like chocolate? I seriously want a "chocolate shake" :) without it being 1000 calories and 40 grams of fat.
    [/quote]

I don't know about their recipe but if you use a little water 1/2 to 3/4 cup to dissolve the powder then add ice cubes then let it sit for a few min and blend again its not too bad. If you need a few extra calories and are using skim milk you can freeze is in cubes and add to the powder mixture. It isn't over thick, but its better than other options (like 1000 cal)
    [/quote]

Ok. Thanks for the tip. So many choices haha
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    i use the jillian michaels whey protein...the triple chocolate shake with 1/2 of a banana, 1 cup of blue diamond unsweetened chocolate almond milk and ice....yumm tastes like a chocolate milkshake and melted soft serve chocolate ice cream...so good. i also have the vanilla shake and that one is really good with fresh fruit and greek yogurt to make a smoothie. yum. its making me want one right now! lol

calories: 100
    fat: 2g
    Carbs: 7g
    fiber: 3g
    sugar: 3g
    protein: 15g

I've seen lots of Jillian Michaels stuff at the store. Thanks!
  • charsherbals63
    Options
    I use the Herbalife program and have lost 62 pounds so far and still going. You can also gain weight with this program if you take 3 shakes a day and have 3 meals a day. The program is very healthy and an excellent source of protein, carbs, fats and fiber in the appropriate balance. Also, it is developed by doctors who have studied nutrition and the human body for many years.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you are using it as a replacement, I hear BSN Lean Dessert is AMAZING.

I drank Designer Whey for a long time because it's cheap, low carb, and not awful. The scoop size is 26 grams at 100 calories vs ~35 grams for the BSN at 150 calories.

In any case, you don't need to worry about gaining weight from fat unless you are seriously over-eating your calories.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is the way to go! It has benefits of regularity, weight loss and helps with cravings
    ask me how to get some!:drinker: :drinker:

Hello Ms. Coach, you do know that trying to get people to buy from you is against the rules of the forum? :flowerforyou:

Or shall we assume that when someone asks you, you'll just send them to the generic website for more info? :ohwell:
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I never understood why I should have the whey protein shake until I googled and read a ton of info on it. I have a shake after every workout.

Whey protein is 1 of the 3 types of proteins and it is SUPER important to drink after a workout and within an hour. It helps repair your muscles. Because when you are strength training your are breaking them down.

Do your research on the 3 types of protein and prove your hubby wrong :)

Also I drink chocolate milk with a scoop of EAS whey protein. Reminds me of a marshmallow.
  • marissagianna
    Options
    You can choose any optimum nutrition protein powder which comes in different flavors. feel free to use your favorite flavors. You can also add some sugar or any artificial sweetener to the shakes to make them taste a little better.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Does your your husband even lift?

You don't just magically gain muscle by drinking protein lol.

And no, you don't get fat off of them. They aren't weight gainers, which is a whole other thing.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    My protein shakes fit in with my calories for the day and it is considered a snack although i have had them for breakfast and lunch when i am in a rush.
  • nawlinsned
    nawlinsned Posts: 15
    Options
    You *CAN* gain weight from protein shakes, if your calorie intake is too high. This doesn't mean you have to. Some shakes have a bunch of carbs and are specifically for people who lift a lot of weights. They need the carbs to fuel their bodies during their workouts. Others, like the one that I got from Walmart (Pure Protein something or other), have almost no carbs and almost no thickeners. I drink one after I hit the treadmill. I've lost 57 pounds in 2 months... I don't see any evidence to support gains with this product, unless that's what you're specifically aiming for.
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have some diet shake due to when I exercise I have lots of calories left during the day and they do sort of help with the chocolate craving HOWEVER!!! THEY TASTE NOTHING LIKE A CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE! after all comments I had read online i presumed they would taste like some amazing chocolate milkshake! THEY DO NOT, yes they taste okay but not amazing, the one I have tastes quite powdery also not as chocolately but sweet.... but I have recently tried a protein bar and that was totally different! tasted alot more like chocolate and was nice as I was actually eating something! perhaps get a few mini or sample ones to try before you buy a big tub!
  • davina6
    davina6 Posts: 1
    Options
    This is a common misconception. I drink a fantastic tasting and extremely nutritent dense shake called Juice PLUS Complete (either in Vanilla or Chocolate - tastes FANTASTIC. I use it every morning for breakfast as does my husband when he is preparing for Boxing Matches. I have friends try the shake and love it (as do their kids) as it taste like a chocolate mousse - YUMMY but not naughty.
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    I don't really have an answer, but I have been drinking protein shakes and I've been losing weight. I guess the only think to take into consideration that some of these a replacements, so if you eat on top of that, you will gain weight.
  • staceymclaughlin
    Options
    I want a shake that basically tastes like I am drinking a chocolate milk shake (do those exist? LOL).

I've started SCI-MX diet shake in chocolate which is soooooooooooo tasty! You blend it with water and it comes out at 177 calories.

Stacey :)
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    My take... Make it yourself so you can control what goes into it.

Here is one that I make!

- 2 scoops Whey Protein (I use chocolate or vanilla... Trader Joe's brand)
    - 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    - 1/2 cup skim milk
    - 1/2 banana

This makes exactly enough to fill up a 16 oz glass...

Blend and enjoy!

Does the chocolate flavored whey actually taste like chocolate? I seriously want a "chocolate shake" :) without it being 1000 calories and 40 grams of fat.

It is a chocolate smoothie... And yes it is chocolate. Very sweet and totally takes control of my chocolate cravings.

The nutritional below is my smoothie. It may change depending on what brand whey you use.
    255 calories
    39 g carbs
    2 g fat
    22 g protein
    22 g sugar
    120 g sodium