Do you still log what food you eat on party, buffets, restaurant etc.?

Options

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do depending on what it is I choose to eat but not always.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    99% of the time if I eat out it'll be a steak and side salad, or a Grill'd burger and I will always log. Occasionally (once every couple of months or so) I'll have a day like yesterday (Mothers Day) where we were visiting family and I was extra hungry from the 1000 calories worth of hiking and riding I did on Saturday so I'll munch away on cheese and kabana and other snacky things and not bother to log for the day. A quick guestimate put yesterday at about 2500 cals. I can live with that. Wouldn't be able to do it every week though.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I try but it's really hard to guesstimate because you don't know how they're cooking food when you don't prepare it yourself. I just make a guesstimate of what I think I ate what part of the process is you have to enjoy the journey so if you have a day where you blow your calorie limit it's not going to hurt you as long as you don't get into the habit of doing it all the time.

I know after I eat or after I drink when I'm out I gained a couple pounds but it's mostly water weight and within a week I'm back to normal
  • Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I feel like I can at least get a good guesstimate, I log it. I don't always log in these situations, though.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    No, I don't but I am in maintenance so that helps. If the restaurant has the nutritional information on line, then it is easier to find it in MFP but most of the restaurants that I frequent are local places and not chain restaurants and trying to estimate or find something similar in MFP is time consuming and it will not be accurate.

Since most of the time I have around 100 calories left per day, I can go above my maintenance calories over the weekend without doing any damage.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I log when we go out for meal, i can usually find a data base entry or get the calories off of a restaurant website.

At all you can eat buffets, i just guess and use quick add calories. I have no idea how near or far my guess is though...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I always have a rough idea of calories no matter where I eat - I don't log my food but I always have a good idea of my daily totals regardless.
    If you log choose nearest entries in the database or use quick add and estimate.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    yes, at the very least if I can't remember I just choose a buffet option that's around 1000 calories
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes. I try to log everything. Sometimes need to guesstimate based on MFP database.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Yes. Even if it's just a rough estimate, it's better than nothing and keeps you honest and on track.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Do you still log what food you eat on party, buffet, restaurant etc.? I find it hard to log what I'm eating up because I was too distracted I drink a 1.5 litre of coke today and I don't know how much food I've eatened :lol: Expecting the scale to backfire haha. I'm just curious

If it's a rare feast where I went hog wild (like holidays), I'll quick add a few thousand calories with a note so I at least know if I look back in my log..

If you ate pretty much anything tasty that was presented without worrying about calories - then it'll quite probably be a few thousand calories. (A single restaurant dessert is quite often 1300 calories by itself).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I always log. I might estimate and just add quick calories, but I log.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't bother logging at buffets because I'm the type who likes to take bites of everything and I'm not gonna spend an hour trying to figure out bites of 20 different things lol. Parties, i tend to just munch so i either estimate quick add calories or don't bother. If i'm having an actual meal at a restaurant I'll log as best i can since it's easier logging an actual meal rather than snacking bites here and there (which i know can add up to a lot of cals!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    Usually I log, but not always (mostly depending on how tedious the logging would be - I'm a weak character). Occasionally at something like a buffet potluck dinner where it can be done in a way that isn't obvious, rude or gauche, I'll use my phone to snap a photo of my plate before I eat it, just to help me estimate later.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I really do try my best. Any time I have the thought that it would be too difficult to log, and I should just make a big single entry and screw off for the day, the next immediate thought is "then you can eat whatever you want and there's no evidence!" and that is the slippery slope. Alarm bells go off and I take a deep breath and try to log.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance for a month now. I do exactly the same recording I did when I was in deficit.

I recommend not to assume that "maintaining is resting from defict". Mantaining is just another step in the journey, and the journey is not over yet.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Usually, yes. Unless I honestly don't care if I gain because I'm taking a break.
  • Akmauser
    Akmauser Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes. I will search the restaurants website for as much information as possible and if that information is not available then I will search MFP database and / or search for homemade recipes and multiply the calories by 1.25 or 1.5 depending on type of food. So far I've been fairly accurate because my weight loss has been steady. Always figure eating out is higher calories than making something at home.

I am also a creature of habit and once all my favorite places have been logged with consistency on weight loss - then I will continue to eat the same foods.