Looking for Advice from Guys over 40

Options
Brian_Dempsey
Brian_Dempsey Posts: 25 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 46 and have never really "dieted." I've worked from home for the last 10 years, but the last several years I've really become more sedentary - and my waistline showed it! I got on the scale at 223.8 (for the first time in forever), and that was it! The next day I determined I would do a few things (the only things I know):

1. Drink more water and cut out cokes (done)
2. Start fast walking (I'm now up to about 5 1/2 miles 5 times per week)
3. Smaller portions
4. Reduce carbs (just say "no" to the complementary bread, and chips, and pasta, and...)
5. Don't eat late
6. Healthy snacks (grapes, cottage cheese, bananas, etc.)

I've done this consistently for the last 7 1/2 weeks, and I've dropped 20 lbs. But I'm not "in shape." I really need to work on getting tone and flexibility. I have no desire to be a "meat head" and spend all my time in the gym. I'd like to simply have good flexibility and feel "healthy" in my body. I've seen some "abs after 40" videos on YouTube that look good. I'd like to start "something" (body weight exercises / light dumbbell stuff) this week, but I don't know what.

Both of my parents died at 66, my mom from lung cancer (never smoked) and my dad from ...well, you name it, he had it. So I need to do what I can now.

Any guys over 40 in the same boat - looking to lose some weight, get in shape, etc...I'd love to connect.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Great job so far. I am 48 and once hit 220 on the scale so I know exactly where you are coming from.

Just a couple thoughts... You are doing great with the diet so no real need to change it. Just be aware that carbs are not bad in general. Cutting them can be a way to reduce calories, but it is the calories that is causing the change (not the lack of carbs). And meal timing has no impact either. I often eat ice cream just before I go to bed. :D Again, if you can sustain it, keep at it. Just don't make changes that you can't live with for the rest of your life.

For exercise, try many different things and see what you like. I like to run. I tolerate lifting (because I like to run competitively). I also do yoga and walk a lot. Try all of these and many others until you find something you enjoy.

Good luck.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Not in your age range yet but it's looming over the horizon. The one thing I'd suggest for health and longevity is some cardiovascular exercise. You're already walking quickly which is great; as your fitness improves consider transitioning this to something like running or cycling.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Would give same advice to a 40+ as I did to my children - try everything!
    The exercise you enjoy is the one you will stick to. What exercise and/or sport have you enjoyed in the past?

Optimal IMHO for health is a mixture of cardio and strength/resistance work but how you mix it up is very personal. I love lifting and love cycling outdoors so do a lot of both, it's not a chore for me.

There are plenty of days when enjoyment isn't enough though and you need an added spur to make you train. For me that's performance goals. It poured with rain today which is enough to stop me enjoying an outdoor ride, having a big event coming up was enough motivation to get me into the gym and train on an indoor bike (dull but effective).
    In the back of my mind is the health aspect too, like you my parents didn't have long or healthy retirements. I want as many good years as possible and exercise is a big part of that.

Time-wise a well structured lifting routine centred on the big compound lifts is incredibly time efficient in terms of the benefits you get for a small time investment.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Congrats on taking the steps you have and the weghtloss so far. All good points to take, but a couple caveats to help you make a few of them more sustainable.
    #1& 4-carbs aren't inherently bad, but I am 100% behind cutting things that you won't miss (bread at meals & coke) Not drinking your calories goes a long ways towards sustainable weight loss.
    #5 Eating late isn't bad and doesn't cause weight gain, however for many people, late evening snacking is just adding on uneeded calories. So if cutting out eating late keeps you in check, have at it, but understand it's the calorie reduction, not the timing.
    #6 eating healthier snack options is good, but it can also be a trap & they can add up to the same or more as if you ate chips. Just be aware.

As for the fitness part, the walking is great. Keep as much as you have time for.
    I would certainly add in strength training, it doesn't have to take long, doesn't even have to be traditional barbell stuff for all of it, but you should stick to basic compound movements as the focus. 2-3 sessions a week is sufficient, throw in a couple shorter, little more intense conditioning workouts and you're set. The conditioning can be done after your strength sessions, depending on how you want to structure it.
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Great job so far. I am 48 and once hit 220 on the scale so I know exactly where you are coming from.

Just a couple thoughts... You are doing great with the diet so no real need to change it. Just be aware that carbs are not bad in general. Cutting them can be a way to reduce calories, but it is the calories that is causing the change (not the lack of carbs). And meal timing has no impact either. I often eat ice cream just before I go to bed. :D Again, if you can sustain it, keep at it. Just don't make changes that you can't live with for the rest of your life.

For exercise, try many different things and see what you like. I like to run. I tolerate lifting (because I like to run competitively). I also do yoga and walk a lot. Try all of these and many others until you find something you enjoy.

Good luck.

Thanks! Yeah, I have another 10 lbs or so I'd like to lose. But the weight alone isn't going to get me where I'd like to be. And, I get that about the carbs. For me, I just look at the plate for rolls and think, "they're not worth all the hard work." :) But, we did have a FEAST a Ruth's Chris several nights ago for my daughter's college graduation. I'm all for feasting - occasionally.

That's interesting about meal timing. Good to know.

I wish I could run b/c it would shorten my time in the mornings. Working from home I would often not get out of bed till 9:30 or later! Now, when I'm walking, I've worked my way down to 6:20am. We have lots of great hills in our neighborhood, and I walk about a 14/min mile. And just recently (the past week), I've tried jogging a little and walking - mostly down hills! I've not "run" since HS, so it's a challenge.

Anyway, it's great to connect. Hopefully I can learn a little here. By this time next year I'd like to be in the best shape I've been in for 20 years.
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Options
    Not in your age range yet but it's looming over the horizon. The one thing I'd suggest for health and longevity is some cardiovascular exercise. You're already walking quickly which is great; as your fitness improves consider transitioning this to something like running or cycling.

I'm "trying" to jog a little while walking. I've torn, sprained, rolled and stressed my right ankle a dozen times over the years, so I have to take the really slow. But I'd love to be able to jog a few miles every day - just to make the time go quicker! :)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    My peak weight was 221, the day after my 53rd birthday. I tried exercising more, just not eating when I wasn't hungry, lifting weights, walking. The weight went down, and bounced off the top of healthy BMI, and went back up, and down, and bounced off the top of healthy BMI, etc.

At age 55, I got serious and reluctantly admitted I needed to track what I ate. That was the key thing. Looking at the cost in calories, carbs, fat, and protein and thinking about how satisfied I was or wasn't changed how I ate. It didn't change overnight, but over the course of a year the cumulative effect was pretty dramatic. Things I learned:

I need protein to be satisfied. The program I was using said I needed 11% of my calories from protein. 20% is more like it for satiety.

Low fat is not a way to diet, it's a consequence of controlling calories and eating for satiety. I ended up with a moderately low fat diet by watching what I ate and eating to feel satisfied within calorie limits. There were days when I would add an ounce of almonds to what I ate because I needed to get some minimum amount of fat.

When I got close to my initial goal weight, I decided to see whether I could turn myself into a runner. My first goal, starting the August that before I turned 56 in December, was to be able to run the 3.5 mile Corporate Challenge the following May without taking any walking breaks. I went out to do some walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes intervals and found that I could only run for 1 minute before I had to slow to a walk. But I persevered. Long story short, I fell in love with running. I ran a 5K, and a 10K. I ran the Corporate Challenge the following May. I worked up to running half marathons, then peer pressure got me to run a marathon. The result of that was a moral obligation to run Boston.

I don't particularly love strength training, but I do enough of it to support my running habit. I don't think the strength training I do particularly builds large ab muscles, but I can see my abs because I have body fat like a marathon runner. From that peak of 221, I've got down to where my weight trends sideways in the 160-165 range. It's been that way for 5 years now.

Advice: Track everything you eat. The mere practice of tracking will teach you what foods are not worth putting in your mouth because they give you too many calories for the amount of pleasure you get.

Start something in the way of exercise this week. Stick with it long enough to become reasonably competent and determine whether it's something you love doing. If it's not something you could fall in love with, try a different form of exercise. Life is too short to be exercising just because you want to burn calories and look toned. Of course, I would tell you that running is wonderful; but not everyone finds this to be the case. If running is not your thing, look for something else.
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Congrats on taking the steps you have and the weghtloss so far. All good points to take, but a couple caveats to help you make a few of them more sustainable.
    #1& 4-carbs aren't inherently bad, but I am 100% behind cutting things that you won't miss (bread at meals & coke) Not drinking your calories goes a long ways towards sustainable weight loss.
    #5 Eating late isn't bad and doesn't cause weight gain, however for many people, late evening snacking is just adding on uneeded calories. So if cutting out eating late keeps you in check, have at it, but understand it's the calorie reduction, not the timing.
    #6 eating healthier snack options is good, but it can also be a trap & they can add up to the same or more as if you ate chips. Just be aware.

As for the fitness part, the walking is great. Keep as much as you have time for.
    I would certainly add in strength training, it doesn't have to take long, doesn't even have to be traditional barbell stuff for all of it, but you should stick to basic compound movements as the focus. 2-3 sessions a week is sufficient, throw in a couple shorter, little more intense conditioning workouts and you're set. The conditioning can be done after your strength sessions, depending on how you want to structure it.

Yeah, I've not really made any kind of "drastic" changes. The cokes / bread isn't too big a deal for me. "Just say no." ;)

I think once I get where I'd like to be, I can let up a little and be more intentional when I do treat myself to something. As for snacks, I think I do pretty good. I typically only snack on one banana or a small bowl of grapes, etc. I don't snack all day long. And honestly, now that I think about it, now that we moved a few months ago and my office is downstairs (away from the kitchen), I don't find myself wandering in there just b/c I'm bored!

As for the fitness, have you ever seen the "Abs After 40" videos? They have a ton of videos for older guys. I don't want to go to a gym, and we have some weights / bar / dumbbells...I just have "paralysis of analysis" wondering exactly what to do!
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a friend request! Turning 44 tomorrow and in better shape than I was at 20. The past six months have been great for me!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 & 5'8" tall.

My red line has always been 200# which I almost reached twice in the past 5 years; 198 1st and 196 later.

Each time I rebooted MFP, adopted a strict cal limit & dietary restriction for the purpose losing the weight and engaged in various exercises (mainly cardio and lifting) to get in shape and to build muscle tone and definition.

The 1st attempt was interrupted by injury and various surgeries but I was able to lose 40# and make progress in strength & muscle development that took 4 years to give back.

The 2nd attempt that started a year ago has resulted in a 38# weight loss, a reduction in BF from over 25% down to 10% and development of defined abs, serratus and other musculature that I've never seen or possessed b4 in my life at the 158# that I've been maintaining now for the past 5 months and I have no intention of giving back these gains again

All it takes to lose the weight and reshape your body is the time, dedication, patience and determination to get it done. Develop a plan and stick w/it and you'll see results likewise.

Good luck!
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Advice: Track everything you eat. The mere practice of tracking will teach you what foods are not worth putting in your mouth because they give you too many calories for the amount of pleasure you get.

Start something in the way of exercise this week. Stick with it long enough to become reasonably competent and determine whether it's something you love doing. If it's not something you could fall in love with, try a different form of exercise. Life is too short to be exercising just because you want to burn calories and look toned. Of course, I would tell you that running is wonderful; but not everyone finds this to be the case. If running is not your thing, look for something else.

Yeah, I've tracked every single thing that I've eaten for the last 4 weeks or so - since I installed MyFitnessPal. Everything.

I don't know anything about "macros" that I keep hearing about. I'm doing it more just to be aware of what I'm eating and to get an idea of how many calories are in different things. But honestly, I don't really "count calories."

And I'm going to start...this week. I'll spend some time today figuring out what exercises I want to do from the videos I've seen and put something together. I think I"d like the compound exercises, but I really have to work on my balance and coordination!
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Options
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    I'll send you a friend request! Turning 44 tomorrow and in better shape than I was at 20. The past six months have been great for me!

Awesome. And happy b'day to you!

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If you want to start engaging in a body transformation that is "toned", you'll want to add muscle. A few hours in the gym lifting weights each week is recommended (and also will help you continue to burn fat).

You don't have to be a gymrat / meathead to get great results! I'm 47 and I usually do 3 different strength training days per week, one day devoted to "pull" motions (triceps, back), one to legs, and one to "push" motions (chest, biceps, shoulders), working abs in each day as well. I find that this split doesn't lead to injuries or overtraining. Of course there are countless exercise regiments that will give you great results, that is just how I train. I also do cardio 2-3 days per week on top of that (running, cycling, elliptical, punching bag, etc.)

I would also consider adding more protein to your diet (you didn't reference it so I'm not sure what your protein intake is). I shoot for 40% of my diet, but usually hit in the low 30s.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options

I'm "trying" to jog a little while walking. I've torn, sprained, rolled and stressed my right ankle a dozen times over the years, so I have to take the really slow. But I'd love to be able to jog a few miles every day - just to make the time go quicker! :)

brother, get a good pair of running shoes. and go to a running store to be fitted with proper shoes. there are about 5 differ elements to your gait that they can evaluate and fit you for. and for me it was the same $120 bucks as a regular decent non fitted shoe. its worth seeking this out.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A good strength program for the over-40 crowd is New Rules of Lifting for Life. It addresses mobility and multi-planar coordination better than typical programs. I would avoid Youtube, except for form tutorials. That "abs after 40" sounds scammy. Having visible abs simply comes down to fat loss, and fat loss can't be targeted.

From a health perspective, frequent, low-intensity movement should take priority, with lifting heavy being secondary. I work from home and set a timer to remind me to run a few blocks every 2 hours. It takes like 5 minutes, and then i'm back to work.. :+1:
  • T0M_K
    Options
    I would add also seek out C25K in your APP store. nice program with structure to get you going from a cardio perspective.
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    That "abs after 40" sounds scammy. Having visible abs simply comes down to fat loss, and fat loss can't be targeted.

Yeah, they have a "program," but it's not really just about abs. They have 4M+ followers and have tons of common sense videos for "older guys" to get in shape. I think it's legit, but I don't know...

• T0M_K
    Options
    not to Hijack this. are there good Lifting Apps besides StrongLifts that are an App for the phone to use for tracking and to give direction?
  • Brian_Dempsey
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    brother, get a good pair of running shoes. and go to a running store to be fitted with proper shoes. there are about 5 differ elements to your gait that they can evaluate and fit you for. and for me it was the same $120 bucks as a regular decent non fitted shoe. its worth seeking this out.

Yeah, I got a nice pair of Brooks for walking that I really like. I haven't really had any problems with them. But my next pair shoes, for sure, I'll head over to a running store near us. I never thought I'd say that! :)

• simonanderson73
    simonanderson73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi 41 here - got up to 225 about a month ago and was still smoking 10 cigs a day so decided to make a change. I stopped and started MFP.

So far I have added 4-5 excercises a week - nothing too drastic and I switch them up constantly as I'm easily bored and injury prone. For example this week I will do two 3/4 mile swims alternating breast stroke and freestyle (without killing myself with speed), 1-2 spinning classes and then 1-2 sessions in the gym mainly on a crossfit and bike with some light weights. I also throw in the odd body pump or Hiit session. I don't eat great but by tracking I have cut out a lot of snacks I didn't even realise I did including a bag of haribo or similar everynight. This is now down to weekends only which iosnt great but is a massive step forward. My goal is to complete a short sprint triathlon with running being my main issue as I have had major injuries to knees and ankles through sports which I now get physio on.

As a side note what works at my gym is there is internet access on the cardio machines so I tie it in with learning new stuff and watching courses on my interests - guitar, cyber security and cloud computing - which makes 30 minutes fly by.

Best of luck