How damaging is having too much sugar in your diet?

Options
So I was not aware about sugar at all in my diet. I never once even thought about sugar and as I have only just recently started a diet I was more focused on calories. So I am overweight I weigh 185-190 pounds 5'9 and I blame this mainly on my addition with soda. I drink perhaps 5 two litre bottles of the stuff per week. This in total works out at around 4000 extra calories per week just from soda. I recently found out that the average man should have around 38 grams of sugar per day. It turns out that in just 1 two litre bottle of my favourite soda there is 208 grams of sugar which is almost 10 times the amount of sugar I should have in a day. When I put it into a weekly perspective a man should have around 266 grams of sugar a week. From the 5 two litre bottles of soda alone I drink 1040 grams of sugar which is enough sugar for an entire month. This doesn't even include the sugar intake from food. I eat around 35 grams of sugar a day so from food and soda I have around 1300 grams of sugar a week. I am literally surprised i am not dead yet or have some major health issue. I haven't touched soda in a week now and I am so proud of myself I have a constant craving for the stuff but I know I need to remove it completely. Will I see much change in my weight from this. Will I also feel any different like tiredness or fatigued. Would it also be recommended to go see a doctor to see if my blood sugar levels are okay as I haven't been to a doctor since I was around 6 and I am 18 now.

Replies

• ilovefood9998
    ilovefood9998 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do you get regular dental check ups?

I have had 4 cavities in my life :neutral: Im planning on no more
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Switch to coke zero
  • ilovefood9998
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Switch to coke zero

I would but I have tried to quit soda in the past and I used diet soda and coke zero and things like that and I just ended up creeping back to it. I don't drink water so I am instead drinking dilute sugar free juice and flavoured water
  • ilovefood9998
    Options
    It's all fun and games until someone gets diabetes!

Which I did, this past winter, and it sucks, so be happy you stopped now. You're young and more than likely you have escaped any bad effects, but a checkup is a good idea anyway.

Sorry to here about that. I really never did think about sugar. I don't think I have diabetes as there must be some sort of symptoms and I feel relatively healthy. Just a little chubby really.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have managed to cut it out, but like in your other posts you need to start eating a more nutritionally balanced diet. Cutting out the 4000 calories from the soda may help with weight loss but overall it is a deficit that is required for weight loss, so if you're hitting your calorie goal as a result of cutting it out then yes you will see weight loss.

There can be side-effects from sugar withdrawal so you may find yourself feeling a bit more fatigued or grumpy.

If you haven't been to a doctor since you were 6 it would definitely be worth going in for a checkup particularly given the lack of nutrition you are getting.
  • ilovefood9998
    Options
    It's great that you have managed to cut it out, but like in your other posts you need to start eating a more nutritionally balanced diet. Cutting out the 4000 calories from the soda may help with weight loss but overall it is a deficit that is required for weight loss, so if you're hitting your calorie goal as a result of cutting it out then yes you will see weight loss.

There can be side-effects from sugar withdrawal so you may find yourself feeling a bit more fatigued or grumpy.

If you haven't been to a doctor since you were 6 it would definitely be worth going in for a checkup particularly given the lack of nutrition you are getting.

Yes, the withdrawal is literally killing me. Especially at this time of year when it gets warm the cravings just get worse and worse. I am in calories deficit. I would be having 2200 calories to maintain my weight but now instead I eat only 1500 calories a day.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options

Yes, the withdrawal is literally killing me. Especially at this time of year when it gets warm the cravings just get worse and worse. I am in calories deficit. I would be having 2200 calories to maintain my weight but now instead I eat only 1500 calories a day.

Then yes you will see weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Did your soda have caffeine? Have you replaced the daily caffeine with something else? Diet soda or iced tea come to mind. That could help with the tiredness.

If you don't replace the soda calories with something else, then yes you will lose weight. Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out.

The problem with the sugar calories when trying to lose weight is you don't get a lot of bang for your buck with soda. Fruit has sugar.....and fiber. Milk has a type of sugar....and protein. With those you get something else, something that's filling.
  • ilovefood9998
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Did your soda have caffeine? Have you replaced the daily caffeine with something else? Diet soda or iced tea come to mind. That could help with the tiredness.

If you don't replace the soda calories with something else, then yes you will lose weight. Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out.

Yes, it was literally always full fat completely caffeinated and thats why I get headaches and things like that from the withdrawal. I have a fear that I will end up getting hooked on other drinks so I am trying to avoid all types of sodas even diet ones. I wont replace the soda calories at all. I have good control over what I eat its just the drinks mainly
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I get around 100 grams of sugar a day according to mfp. Its all from fruit, vegetables and about 2 cups of sugarfree yogurt, I enjoy those foods. It hasn't given my any health problems and I'm old.

I don't eat added sugar, honey syrup etc. so all that sugar I'm getting just comes from food.

I think weight gain comes from eating more calories than we need.
    Sugar hasn't been proven to be the cause of diabetes.

edited to add: I'm at the lower end of the healthy bmi range. I suggest you might try eating some fruit instead of having the cokes. It will take a few days to adjust, but you might look and feel better giving that a go.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Yes, it was literally always full fat completely caffeinated and thats why I get headaches and things like that from the withdrawal. I have a fear that I will end up getting hooked on other drinks so I am trying to avoid all types of sodas even diet ones. I wont replace the soda calories at all. I have good control over what I eat its just the drinks mainly

If you've got a caffeine dependency, it's not a great idea to go cold turkey.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Good job on tapering off the sugary sodas. What are you replacing the soda with? Are you drinking more water?

Here are links on sugar's effects on the body:

Since "one pound / 16 oz" = 3500 calories, right off, if you are not eating these calories back, you will lose one pound a week.

The important thing to keep in mind is that your body will continue to crave sugars / carbs unless you address the underlying cause of the sugar cravings by eliminating the candida overgrowth.

(You can check if you have this by taking a glass of distilled water (it must be distilled, not tap and not fortified mineral water) and spitting in it. Put the glass in your medicine cabinet over night and then look at it the next day. If you see threads growing, it's yeast.)

https://www.candidasupport.org/resources/saliva-test/

BTWs - Yeast is bad... it can lead to cancer...

http://oralcancerfoundation.org/complications/candida/

We are going through this with my youngest brother right now... the yeast was virulent, unrelenting, and he lost his tongue and is being fed via a GI tube. Have a dentist check your mouth thoroughly and DO NOT skip these checkups or neglect your oral health. if you are smoking or chewing or packing - STOP!

I encourage you to also do everything you can to eliminate sugar at this level, address the yeast (if you have it) and work with a nutritionist / medical personnel to obtain a diet that you can live with the rest of your life.
  • ilovefood9998
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Good job on tapering off the sugary sodas. What are you replacing the soda with? Are you drinking more water?

The important thing to keep in mind is that your body will continue to crave sugars / carbs unless you address the underlying cause of the sugar cravings by eliminating the candida overgrowth.

I have replaced the soda with sugar free diluted juice as I hate drinking water. The taste of water is so unsatisfying that it makes me crave soda again. Without soda my sugar intake is generally very average so I can hopefully get it under control