So, how many of you get 9 servings of fruit and vegetables a day?

Options

Replies

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    A typical day might include berries on my breakfast cereal, a piece of fruit with lunch that also includes a soup or stew that is loaded with a wide variety of vegetables. A green salad before dinner with a base of either mixed greens or spinach along with a mix of spanish onions, mushrooms, red peppers, shredded carrots/rutabaga/jicama etc. Dinner usually has a vegetable serving or two. Dessert often includes more berries on yogurt, on cheescake etc. My workout protein shake usually has a banana and some carrots and celery in it.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Yum, some nice ideas here on how to get more fruit and vgetables.

Love fruits.

Lately I've discovered some new, to me, leafy greens. Roasted in the oven they are very easy to eat two or three servings. Potatoes and carrots roasted are a sweet deal too.

• Gamliela
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't really count the serves, but I eat at least a kilo of veg a day. No fruit though. Fruit is icky.

I like fruit (well, most fruit, some more than others), but I dislike how these kinds of things lump fruit and veg, probably because it's seen as easier to convince people to increase fruit than veg. I think vegetables are pretty crucial absent rare health issues. I think fruit is pretty optional and without my low carb thing I still probably wouldn't aim for more than 1-3 servings per day, with more like 8 or so veg (although I also don't count servings unless these kinds of things come up, I focus more on making veg a significant part of every meal).

Yes, fruit and veg are different, but alike in many ways too.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Some days I do and some days I don't. I probably average about 6 I'd guess (just a guess, I don't track that sort of thing).

We have a farm with lots of fruit trees/bushes and a huge garden, so during the growing/harvest season we eat a LOT of veggies. During the off season when most vegetables are canned or from the root cellar, I eat less.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Does wine count as fruit?

Hahaha! Well its got to, all those squished grapes!
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Some days I do and some days I don't. I probably average about 6 I'd guess (just a guess, I don't track that sort of thing).

We have a farm with lots of fruit trees/bushes and a huge garden, so during the growing/harvest season we eat a LOT of veggies. During the off season when most vegetables are canned or from the root cellar, I eat less.

Oh that just sounds a sort of paradise there! And from my experience, I know the hard work that goes along with it. You must be a healthy person. I'm watching the figs and fruit growing here daily. Vegetable feeds are fun. I always liked the corn fests, and the watermelon fests. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Traditionally I have been, often more. I'm trying to super low carb currently, so probably am more like 8 or so on average (no fruit, slightly smaller servings), and I actually feel a little better about it now, I think because my nature is to overdo and be obsessive so I was eating more volume-wise that I really wanted with the idea that more is always better and that I was a volume eater. (I currently feel much more satisfied with smaller volume, although not small, so I think I might have overestimated what a volume eater I was.) Whenever I start getting compulsive about a food thing I like to check myself.

I'm also really focusing on seasonal vegetables and fruits (although I eat a wider variety of vegetables), so that is one reason I'm good with less fruit now (nothing is in season). I'm sure that will change as the year goes on.

Here its strawberry season! :)

Probably not for another couple of weeks here.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Price is a factor too frankly. Fresh veggies cost an arm and a leg. I do buy frozen, but really, it's just not that tasty to me (unless it's the kind that comes seasoned with 100 extra calories lol).

That's probably been the most challenging part of this for me-fitting in the additional produce on a small grocery budget, ($100 a week for a family of 5).

Honestly I had forgotten how expensive fresh produce has become in the states and canada. It used to be the least expensive food snd cheaper than more processed foods.

I find it's pretty cheap if you eat in season. I'm in a much colder climate than you (so is crazyycatladyy1), so mostly what's in season here now is still greens and asparagus and leeks and spring onions and some cold weather veg like root veg. I'm eating lots of those (also the standards which are usually pretty cheap for me, like broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans).
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming I do since I usually eat 2 zucchinis, a pack of mushrooms, and kale for breakfast all steamed and then a giant salad and a veggie soup/ Chilli for dinner with fruit in between! I love vegggies . I like fruit too but they're not as satiating as starch and veg for me. I assume I'll be eating more fruit now that it's summer
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't really count the serves, but I eat at least a kilo of veg a day. No fruit though. Fruit is icky.

I like fruit (well, most fruit, some more than others), but I dislike how these kinds of things lump fruit and veg, probably because it's seen as easier to convince people to increase fruit than veg. I think vegetables are pretty crucial absent rare health issues. I think fruit is pretty optional and without my low carb thing I still probably wouldn't aim for more than 1-3 servings per day, with more like 8 or so veg (although I also don't count servings unless these kinds of things come up, I focus more on making veg a significant part of every meal).

Yeah, I think 3 fruits a day is probably in the upper range of what I eat because fruit just isnt that filling nor are the most common fruits as nutrient dense as veg ( still better than most snacks though !) Berries are probably best but they're expensive unless bought frozen. I think vegetables should be the emphasis for sure but for people eating the SAD, even just eating more fruit and less of whatever else is probably a good place to start. Some people just frankly refuse to eat veg haha
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Traditionally I have been, often more. I'm trying to super low carb currently, so probably am more like 8 or so on average (no fruit, slightly smaller servings), and I actually feel a little better about it now, I think because my nature is to overdo and be obsessive so I was eating more volume-wise that I really wanted with the idea that more is always better and that I was a volume eater. (I currently feel much more satisfied with smaller volume, although not small, so I think I might have overestimated what a volume eater I was.) Whenever I start getting compulsive about a food thing I like to check myself.

I'm also really focusing on seasonal vegetables and fruits (although I eat a wider variety of vegetables), so that is one reason I'm good with less fruit now (nothing is in season). I'm sure that will change as the year goes on.

Here its strawberry season! :)

Probably not for another couple of weeks here.

Something sweet to look forward to then.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I do get at least 7-10 servings per day. I eat a ton of veggies and 1-2 servings of fruit per day and at least one really big salad. Since my body is quite used to that, I don't get bloating or gas at all. However, the rare day when I don't get the usual it can slow down elimination a bit (sorry if TMI).

I have a small garden, but I pack it full of things during growing season and then can or freeze what we don't eat up or give away. It's been cold and rainy this spring, so everything is late. My berries have blossoms but no fruit, so I can't wait to have some fresh ones right from the garden. For those of you without space for a garden, there are lots of things you can grow in containers. I also grow tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers in pots on my deck. There's a variety of tomato called "patio" that is perfect for small space gardening. Salad greens, cilantro, parsley, arugula (rocket) all do well in containers. The biggest challenge is keeping the deer from enjoying it all before I do!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Oh that just sounds a sort of paradise there! And from my experience, I know the hard work that goes along with it. You must be a healthy person. I'm watching the figs and fruit growing here daily. Vegetable feeds are fun. I always liked the corn fests, and the watermelon fests. :)

It is a lot of work, but for me it's a labor of love. I really love gardening and yes, I rarely have to 'exercise' except in winter (hence my username). I have to remember to purposely exercise in the off season because I can't (don't, won't, whatever) eat less.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Re: the price of produce, I discovered there are several discount groceries not too far away from me. One place has wonderful fresh produce for a fraction of the price of the chain grocery stores. I've gotten entire bags of apples, sweet peppers, and tomatoes for 99 cents. Beets 4/$1, broccoli crowns 2/$1. I "googled" discount groceries near me and found a couple more!

We also have a lot of farmer's markets in the spring and summer. You can't get any fresher, but their prices are higher.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Price is a factor too frankly. Fresh veggies cost an arm and a leg. I do buy frozen, but really, it's just not that tasty to me (unless it's the kind that comes seasoned with 100 extra calories lol).

That's probably been the most challenging part of this for me-fitting in the additional produce on a small grocery budget, ($100 a week for a family of 5).

Honestly I had forgotten how expensive fresh produce has become in the states and canada. It used to be the least expensive food snd cheaper than more processed foods.

I find it's pretty cheap if you eat in season. I'm in a much colder climate than you (so is crazyycatladyy1), so mostly what's in season here now is still greens and asparagus and leeks and spring onions and some cold weather veg like root veg. I'm eating lots of those (also the standards which are usually pretty cheap for me, like broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans).

I'm jealous! Brussel sprouts here are always at least $3 a lb. And they aren't a light vegetable. Brussels are without a doubt our biggest store bought vegetable expense because it's one that we eat year round and we don't like frozen.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat 6-8 unless you count things like legumes, lentils, potatoes, etc...then it's more.
  • Gamliela
    Options

Yeah, I think 3 fruits a day is probably in the upper range of what I eat because fruit just isnt that filling nor are the most common fruits as nutrient dense as veg ( still better than most snacks though !) Berries are probably best but they're expensive unless bought frozen. I think vegetables should be the emphasis for sure but for people eating the SAD, even just eating more fruit and less of whatever else is probably a good place to start. Some people just frankly refuse to eat veg haha

I know the blueberries can be so dear, but worth it on occasion.

So true, SAD is bad. It can be hard to eat fruit along with the SAD for some reason. I always found pastries made fruit seem dull. I pretty much see things exactly contrary to that these days. Fruit's fresh sweet colorful light and cool. I don't like to think of high fat content food and hot summers in the same sentence. :smiley: