Plateuing so badlyyyy - IF +Keto?

Options
mehreen_xo
mehreen_xo Posts: 78 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys so I have already lost 47lbs and I was plateauing really badly for about a month. I was eating right and exersising yet seeing no change on the scale. A few days ago I decided to take up intermittent fasting (16:8) and I have lowered my carb intake to about 70-80g per day as opposed to 120/130g per day. Is this a safe and effective way to drop the pounds and shock my metabolism?? Thank you

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You said you were "eating right", does that mean you weigh everything you eat and you log every lick, bite, or taste? If not then start there.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't need "shocking" and meal timing and macro breakdown are pretty irrelevant. Dropping carbs lower than normal will see you drop some water weight...

Have you changed your stats to show your new weight? Your calorie goal will be a lot lower
  • mehreen_xo
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Are you monitoring your calorie level also? That would be the first priority. Other than a lightning bolt, your metabolism can not be shocked.
    Yep forgot to mention, I'm having 1200 calories (5'3 female) which I track quite meticulously. And lol not literally but I mean just a diet to switch things up in case my body is now adapting to the same dietary habits.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    A month isn't really a plateau, and it's certainly not a bad plateau and as mentioned above calorie control is important for weight loss - Macros & Meal Timings make absolutely no difference, it's just a personal preference for nutrition and satiety.

Have you re-evaluated your goals as the weight has come off? If not you will have far less room for error in counting food calories and exercise burns.

6y8deapals4l.jpg

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    mehreen_xo wrote: »
    Hey guys so I have already lost 47lbs and I was plateauing really badly for about a month. I was eating right and exersising yet seeing no change on the scale. A few days ago I decided to take up intermittent fasting (16:8) and I have lowered my carb intake to about 70-80g per day as opposed to 120/130g per day. Is this a safe and effective way to drop the pounds and shock my metabolism?? Thank you

dropping carbs will result in some water weight loss; however, if you are still eating the same amount of calories you won't drop any additional fat/weight.

You can't "shock" your metabolism, that is internet woo woo stuff.

Switching to IF and consuming the same amount of calories is not going to result in greater weight loss.

When is the last time you reassessed your calorie intake level?
    Do you use a food scale?
    Log everything accurately?

Also, as you drop more and more weight, it becomes more difficult to lose and weight loss will slow.

• mehreen_xo
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't need "shocking" and meal timing and macro breakdown are pretty irrelevant. Dropping carbs lower than normal will see you drop some water weight...

Have you changed your stats to show your new weight? Your calorie goal will be a lot lower

Really? So timing and macros don't matter?! I'm honestly sooo confused I see a so much information online for arguments for and against each side. However, to support what you say I have lost 47lbs solely based on calorie counting and working out, but for the last month it's just incredibly slow if not non existent losses right now!

I thought lowering carbs etc was key because I see so much about it online, ugh maybe I should just stick to calorie counting and see where I go
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    If you've been dieting a while, it might be worth taking a couple of weeks at maintenance (Diet Break) and then cracking on with the calorie control that clearly worked for you so far. Just be aware that you really will need to weigh and log your food and burns more accurately the closer you get to your target.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There's no such thing as "shocking your metabolism" unfortunately.

It all comes down to calories. With accurate logging, a TDEE deficit and patience, the weight WILL come off. Fluctuations are normal and slow weight loss is normal.

In regards to IF and Keto - which I do BOTH - they don't offer any big advantage over IIFYM for weight loss. I find that they do provide a lot of health benefits and reduced hunger though.

IF: All you're doing here is changing WHEN you eat, not how much you eat. I like skipping breakfast so I can have a larger lunch and dinner. This helps me stick to my calorie goal.

Keto has some nice health benefits for sure. It's great for people with seizures, PCOS and Type 2 Diabetes. It can reduce gas and bloating, give you more energy and a clearer mind, to name a few.

As far as keto compares to IIFYM when it comes to weight loss: you will experience a flush of water weight when starting keto. It's just water and will return if you go back to eating carbs. Most people find protein and fat more filling than carbs, so you can naturally reduce your hunger (and thus calories) with keto compared to IIFYM.

Sooo... that's that. Do them if you want to do them and can stick with them. Otherwise, just keep doing what you're already doing and be patient.
  • mehreen_xo
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

dropping carbs will result in some water weight loss; however, if you are still eating the same amount of calories you won't drop any additional fat/weight.

You can't "shock" your metabolism, that is internet woo woo stuff.

Switching to IF and consuming the same amount of calories is not going to result in greater weight loss.

When is the last time you reassessed your calorie intake level?
    Do you use a food scale?
    Log everything accurately?

Also, as you drop more and more weight, it becomes more difficult to lose and weight loss will slow.

Ok thank you, this info really helped me and I think I will just stick to counting calories. Tbh I may need to be a bit more careful with my calorie counting..
  • mehreen_xo
    Options
    If you've been dieting a while, it might be worth taking a couple of weeks at maintenance (Diet Break) and then cracking on with the calorie control that clearly worked for you so far. Just be aware that you really will need to weigh and log your food and burns more accurately the closer you get to your target.

Ok thank you! Yes calorie counting has been great, j didn't know you had to be extra careful towards the end.. why is this may I ask?
  • Salecca
    Salecca Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Scales dictate weightloss not fat loss. Is that what you're trying to achieve?
  • mehreen_xo
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

It all comes down to calories. With accurate logging, a TDEE deficit and patience, the weight WILL come off. Fluctuations are normal and slow weight loss is normal.

In regards to IF and Keto - which I do BOTH - they don't offer any big advantage over CICO for weight loss. I find that they do provide a lot of health benefits and reduced hunger though.

IF: All you're doing here is changing WHEN you eat, not how much you eat. I like skipping breakfast so I can have a larger lunch and dinner. This helps me stick to my calorie goal.

Keto has some nice health benefits for sure. It's great for people with seizures, PCOS and Type 2 Diabetes. It can reduce gas and bloating, give you more energy and a clearer mind, to name a few.

As far as keto compares to CICO when it comes to weight loss: you will experience a flush of water weight when starting keto. It's just water and will return if you go back to eating carbs. Most people find protein and fat more filling than carbs, so you can naturally reduce your hunger (and thus calories) with keto compared to CICO.

Sooo... that's that. Do them if you want to do them and can stick with them. Otherwise, just keep doing what you're already doing and be patient.

Oh my goodness I can't even explain how useful this info was! Here's me thinking it will accelerate weight loss etc when really it's all about calories. I feel IF and keto don't really work for me as I'm quite miserable on them haha o prefer eating 3x a day but I read about something about eating 3x means your insulin remains high and prevent fat loss... is this true? I mean I haven't found it's true so far but idk about now that I'm nearing my goal
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

In regards to IF and Keto - which I do BOTH - they don't offer any big advantage over CICO for weight loss. I find that they do provide a lot of health benefits and reduced hunger though.

As far as keto compares to CICO when it comes to weight loss: you will experience a flush of water weight when starting keto. It's just water and will return if you go back to eating carbs. Most people find protein and fat more filling than carbs, so you can naturally reduce your hunger (and thus calories) with keto compared to CICO.

CICO isn't a type of diet it's an energy balance formula and thus you can't compare it to IF/Keto.

Keto is a type of diet and IF is just meal timing they both still rely on CICO to work for weight loss. If you eat in a calorie surplus using either method you would gain weight.
  • toxikon
    edited May 2017
    Options

CICO isn't a type of diet it's an energy balance formula and thus you can't compare it to IF/Keto.

Keto is a type of diet and IF is just meal timing they both still rely on CICO to work for weight loss. If you eat in a calorie surplus using either method you would gain weight.

Perhaps I could have used a better term, I was just using CICO in lieu of "typical diet where you eat what you want in moderation".

"Keto is a type of diet and IF is just meal timing they both still rely on CICO to work for weight loss. If you eat in a calorie surplus using either method you would gain weight. " - Yes, this is exactly what I said.
  • toxikon
    Options

Oh my goodness I can't even explain how useful this info was! Here's me thinking it will accelerate weight loss etc when really it's all about calories. I feel IF and keto don't really work for me as I'm quite miserable on them haha o prefer eating 3x a day but I read about something about eating 3x means your insulin remains high and prevent fat loss... is this true? I mean I haven't found it's true so far but idk about now that I'm nearing my goal

Nope. Most science suggests that it's all about calories. You can graze all day or eat one meal a day and still lose weight at the same rate.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

^ This

And a month is NOT a plateau.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Food scale.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited May 2017
    Options

Perhaps I could have used a better term, I was just using CICO in lieu of "typical diet where you eat what you want in moderation".

"Keto is a type of diet and IF is just meal timing they both still rely on CICO to work for weight loss. If you eat in a calorie surplus using either method you would gain weight. " - Yes, this is exactly what I said.

Just wanted to clarify, particularly for lurkers because what you're referring to is IIFYM not CICO.
  • toxikon
    Options

Just wanted to clarify, particularly for lurkers because what you're referring to is IIFYM not CICO.

Yep that's the one, I had a brain fart.