Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Just jumping on this to moan! Period has arrived after 38 days, several days of feeling like it's about to start! So bloated I feel like I gain a stone this week but my eating has been pretty much normal! Fed up. Moan over!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    I had a lovely 37 day cycle just now ... was thinking again I might actually skip a period, but nope. At 37 days it started. However, 37 days is better than the 21 I was dealing with for many months before.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I had horribly heavy periods in my late 40s, and big hormonal swings - tried the pill, and had a mirena coil put in. What a mistake. Huge body reaction and 4 years on stil have Chroni Fatigue (lost my job amd all). Wish i had just stuck to the Tranexamic Acid - which is fantastic for the heavy blood loss.

Last year the hot flushes started. My doctors asvice was effectively 'dont bother too much with all the unproven vitamin/minerals/teas etc - hang out for as long as you can and then go onto HRT'

I did an HRT trial as I could see I was tipping into depression, no harm in seeing what difference it makes for 3 months.

Fantastic result - i feel normal, no flushing, better sleep, no depression and best if all I have regsined control of my temper and actually turned back jnto a nice person again(!).

I have even got the mental resilisnce to control my eating and so lose some of that middle-aged spread.

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I had horribly heavy periods in my late 40s, and big hormonal swings - tried the pill, and had a mirena coil put in. What a mistake. Huge body reaction and 4 years on stil have Chroni Fatigue (lost my job amd all). Wish i had just stuck to the Tranexamic Acid - which is fantastic for the heavy blood loss.

Last year the hot flushes started. My doctors asvice was effectively 'dont bother too much with all the unproven vitamin/minerals/teas etc - hang out for as long as you can and then go onto HRT'

I did an HRT trial as I could see I was tipping into depression, no harm in seeing what difference it makes for 3 months.

Fantastic result - i feel normal, no flushing, better sleep, no depression and best if all I have regsined control of my temper and actually turned back jnto a nice person again(!).

I have even got the mental resilisnce to control my eating and so lose some of that middle-aged spread.

Wow, what an ordeal! So glad to hear HRT is working for you.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    What about twitches near ovulation? Who else gets this?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

@gentlygently sorry to hear about your Mirena experience; glad to hear the HRT is working for you.

I'm curious as to why you didn't stick with the Tranexamic Acid, which is something I am considering taking for my own horribly heavy periods.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Nixi3Knox wrote: »

What do you mean by "twitches"?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Nixi3Knox wrote: »

My 19yr old daughter actually gets tics that are greatly affected by her ovulation and cycle hormones. She can be fine all month but at those two times, she's guaranteed to have tics. We're working on fixing them, but I would have never thought hormones could affect something like that.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Do you mean twitching and tics ... like around your eyes, where your eyelids (top and bottom) continually twitch for a week or so?

I'm fascinated because I get that, and got it really bad last month, but never once thought about ovulation.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    By twitches I mean muscle twitches. They may be in an arm or leg. All over the body really. It always happens around the time I ovulate. So strange!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I only get hot flashes for about a week during the month-when I would normally have TOM. Anyone else get this? Last month I just thought I'd feel super hot & sweaty all the time but it stopped. And then, started up again yesterday.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I get them throughout the week before my periods start or are supposed to start.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I get them throughout the week before my periods start or are supposed to start.

Usually.

For the past couple weeks, my body has decided it is hot flash and night sweat time. I don't mind too much ... except when I'm tired, because they make me even more tired ... and except when they're accompanied by nausea, because that is really unpleasant.

Today the hot flashes are coming when I'm tired (jet lag) and are accompanied by mild nausea.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've broken down and purchased black cohosh ... but I haven't taken any yet. Still a little concerned about the side effects. However, it is my second to last resort for all these hot flashes and night sweats.
  • scarlet67
    scarlet67 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Check out the menopause doctor online. She is so good, she also replies to queries. I started HRT six months ago and am a completely different person.. :smiley:
  • Machka9
    Options
    scarlet67 wrote: »
    Check out the menopause doctor online. She is so good, she also replies to queries. I started HRT six months ago and am a completely different person.. :smiley:

I only wish.
  • Machka9
    Options
    So excited ... I've actually skipped a period at last! First time in my life!
  • Machka9
    Options

And I'm already late for the next one.

I'm not holding my breath that this is the end, but it is so nice to have this break!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I'm not holding my breath that this is the end, but it is so nice to have this break!

Happy for you, @Machka9 !

Does anyone happen to know, or has their personal experience born out, if there tends to be a correlation between how a woman's cycle begins and how it ends? By that I mean, some girls' cycles begin suddenly & fairly regularly from the get-go (*raising hand*), and others (I've heard) start gradually and are somewhat erratic. I'm wondering if cycles that started suddenly are more likely to end suddenly, while others might have a longer transition?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

When I read about the shifts in your hot flashes (just now) I was going to say: the end is near!