Nutritional yeast?

Options

Replies

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    POPCORN!!! With butter and other seasonings. Then the leftover engevita that sits on the bottom of the bowl. I eat that too :) Nothing. Left.

As a kid, I use to just eat a couple spoon fulls, lol.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    FYI... bought some the other day @ Whole Foods. The bin type doesn't weigh enough to register on the scale! So I bought Bragg's in the plastic container. It tastes like chicken. I remember it tasting like cheese, so I'm kinda re-thinking adding it to my popcorn
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Popcorn: olive oil, soy sauce and nutritional yeast

Toast: toasted bread, olive oil, nutritional yeast (and raw garlic if you like garlic :smile: )

These are literally two of my favorite foods in the whole world. Love love love nutritional yeast, my mom always made these for me when I was a kid, I like NY before it was cool :wink:
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can't eat dairy so I use it to make a fake cheese sauce and I'll sometimes sprinkle it on spaghetti or something.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it sprinkled on a salad, popcorn, and mixed with laughing cow cheese and shirataki macaroni noodles.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Where do you find it? Do most grocery stores carry it? Where is it usually stocked?

I found it at Trader Joes!

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Check the spices/herbs/seasonings shelf too. I'm sure I've seen nut. yeast at Walmart.

I dump it on grilled tempeh. If it wasn't loaded with b-vitamins I probably wouldn't eat it though.

• healthyfitsamantha
    healthyfitsamantha Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use it in my vegan mac-and-cheese recipe (I'm not vegan, but try to avoid dairy), on homemade kale chips, on eggs... anything! SO good!
  • caitlinj406
    caitlinj406 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love nooch! I use it all the time in faux cheese sauce for vegan mac n' cheese or chili mac, tofu ricotta for lasagne, tofu scrambles!, popcorn, sprinkle on toast with olive oil or peanut butter, also really good sprinkled on avocado toast, added to soft polenta, I also use it in homemade seitan. I am so glad I can buy it in bulk.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, but I like using nooch to add a cheesy flavor when I make vegan or dairy-free dishes -- like vegan mac n cheese or alfredo. I also use it as a general seasoning in almost everything --from popcorn to vegetarian meat substitutes to roasted broccoli. My mom would add it to her cornbread and it made it SO delicious -- it just added a general good flavor. I'm not sure how much she would add because she's a typical old-fashioned southern cook that doesn't measure anything unless she's baking a cake. lol.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Check the spices/herbs/seasonings shelf too. I'm sure I've seen nut. yeast at Walmart.

I dump it on grilled tempeh. If it wasn't loaded with b-vitamins I probably wouldn't eat it though.

Just a few notes about it:
    Brewer's and nutritional yeasts do not contain B12 unless they are fortified with it. There is at least one vegan, B12-fortified yeast currently on the market: Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula. It is also best to keep it in the refrigerator or freezer, out of the light.
    It's just so yummy:))
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I blend Engevita Yeast Flakes B12 with raw cashews to make vegetarian parmesan. SO YUMMY.
  • Formallyknownassteph
    Formallyknownassteph Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Everything gets nooched in this house. Sauces, faux cheeses, popcorn, tofu, on my salads. It has basically worked it's way into my basic seasoning spices (pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, nooch)
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Popcorn.
    Popcorn.
    Popcorn.

When using it to make a sauce, it's especially spectacular if you toast it in the bottom of the pan just until it starts to smell good. Then start up the sauce. Throw in sliced, sautéed mushrooms. OMG.

Also a great replacement for salt if you are watching your sodium.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I replace half the parmesan cheese in recipes with nutritional yeast. There's a great baked zucchini casserole I make that has zucchini, tomato sauce, and cheese (a limited amount), and I use it in that.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    In the UK Holland and Barrett sell it. Huge round tub for about £3.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Where do you find it? Do most grocery stores carry it? Where is it usually stocked?
    If you know a store that sells a lot of bulk items (flour, beans, oats, etc.) in bins, you might check there.
  • amybluefish
    amybluefish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Winco near you, it's in the bulk food section and super cheap.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    creamys wrote: »
    I put it on baked potato or scrambled eggs. I've actually eaten it alone before..

So have I....I like it. It's weird though.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I mainly use it in salad dressings. I have a bunch of vegan recipes that use it - mainly as part of what would be a cream or cheese sauce.

I've tried it on popcorn, which was ok, but I prefer truffle salt. Maybe it's just me being messy, but it kind of got all over everything when I ate the popcorn.