It's NOT a Diet rather a Lifestyle Change

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There's decent research evidence now suggesting that regular exercise materially reduces risk for metastatic recurrence of breast cancer. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a similar effect for at least the types of cancer that are more common in the same people (colorectal, ovarian, etc.), though I know of no research to support that.

For me, exercise was also part of what was required to regain my strength, vitality and happiness after surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. Others' mileage may vary.

That fits with the idea that most cancers cannot metabolize fat. By exercising, one depletes their body's supply of glycogen, which cancers prefer to eat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options

There's decent research evidence now suggesting that regular exercise materially reduces risk for metastatic recurrence of breast cancer. It wouldn't surprise me if th ere were a similar effect for at least the types of cancer that are more common in the same people (colorectal, ovarian, etc.), though I know of no research to support that.

For me, exercise was also part of what was required to regain my strength, vitality and happiness after surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. Others' mileage may vary.

That fits with the idea that most cancers cannot metabolize fat. By exercising, one depletes their body's supply of glycogen, which cancers prefer to eat.

In the case of breast cancer, some of the researchers believe it has to do with estrogen levels, which are also affected by exercise. Some breast cancer tumors require estrogen to grow, some don't. The exercise effect is independent of obesity, though obesity can also play a role in metastasis (also believed to be estrogen-related). Lots of unknowns, though, as of my last in-depth reading on the subject.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It always cracks me up when people ask why I eat the way I do. Often times I'm told "you should enjoy life a little bit more and Splurge the calories". I often smirk & say, " I do but I'd rather have a healthy eating lifestyle then spend my time in the doctor's office to be put on medications to fix condition(s) that can easily be controlled with a proper diet.
    I know throughout the years I have gone through many fad yo-yo diets only to find myself not well. And even now I fall off the proverbial wagon now and then. Believe me I feel it in so many ways. But it's about getting back on that wagon and pushing forward and accepting that we're human while finding a strong support group that makes it all worthwhile :)

@ScaledArtistHair you nailed it with that term. It was not until 2014 that I stopped dieting forever to lose weight after 40 years yo-yoing back to 100%+ regains every time that lower weight and better health came my way. No more cravings makes my WOE (Way Of Eating) since Oct 2014 successful and easy to do at the age of 66. I still had a pity party at first but when I realized my old way of eating was leading to my premature death in my case but eating for better health was not only was giving me better health and weight management but that my new WOE also tasted better.

Best of continued success and welcome to the MFP forums.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    there will almost be negative people. I normally smile and say thanks for the advice.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

There's decent research evidence now suggesting that regular exercise materially reduces risk for metastatic recurrence of breast cancer. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a similar effect for at least the types of cancer that are more common in the same people (colorectal, ovarian, etc.), though I know of no research to support that.

Cancers can and do metabolize fat. They are highly dependent on it. In a glucose rich environment, most preferentially use glucose for energy to spare the available fatty acids for anabolic purposes (exceptions for prostate cancer and leukemia - they utilize fat preferentially). In a glucose poor environment, they will use fatty acids as primary fuel. This is something rarely seen in cell culture because the predominant media used is glucose rich and very fat poor in comparison to human blood and most tissues.

Cancer cells also significantly upregulate lipogenesis and some also upregulate lipid scavenging because they utilize more fat than is typically available for membrane biosynthesis and other functions. Limiting fatty acid availability has an inhibitory effect on cancer proliferation*.

*Lipid metabolic reprogramming in cancer cells, Oncogenesis (2016)
    nature.com/oncsis/journal/v5/n1/full/oncsis201549a.html

One eye opener from studying cancer and its behaviour for the past 2-3 years is how cancer can and will adapt to just about any environment change we can make. I do think reversing cancer is a possibility. Key to prevention is to develop a high number of Mitochondria and keep them health along with not overing loading the immune system as I see it today. Working to lower my CRP test results is a current goal of mine to lighten the burden on my immune system.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »

Cancers can and do metabolize fat. They are highly dependent on it. In a glucose rich environment, most preferentially use glucose for energy to spare the available fatty acids for anabolic purposes (exceptions for prostate cancer and leukemia - they utilize fat preferentially). In a glucose poor environment, they will use fatty acids as primary fuel. This is something rarely seen in cell culture because the predominant media used is glucose rich and very fat poor in comparison to human blood and most tissues.

Cancer cells also significantly upregulate lipogenesis and some also upregulate lipid scavenging because they utilize more fat than is typically available for membrane biosynthesis and other functions. Limiting fatty acid availability has an inhibitory effect on cancer proliferation*.

*Lipid metabolic reprogramming in cancer cells, Oncogenesis (2016)
    nature.com/oncsis/journal/v5/n1/full/oncsis201549a.html

One eye opener from studying cancer and its behaviour for the past 2-3 years is how cancer can and will adapt to just about any environment change we can make. I do think reversing cancer is a possibility. Key to prevention is to develop a high number of Mitochondria and keep them health along with not overing loading the immune system as I see it today. Working to lower my CRP test results is a current goal of mine to lighten the burden on my immune system.

I have a few questions

1. If cancer adapts to any environment, then how is changing the environment going to reverse cancer?
    2. How does having a high number of mitochondria protect against cancer?
    3. What defines a healthy mitochondria? How is that measured?
    4. What do you mean by "overloading the immune system? "
    5. Does CRP cause immune system overload? How does lowering CRP change your immune system?

@tomteboda those are key questions and thanks for asking. I will start organizing resources that I have read and implemented over the last 2-3 years.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Curious how a lifestyle change or change of diet relates to cancer, (besides someone quitting smoking )?

Changing from high fat, primarily animal protein foods to high fiber varied diet is one way to help prevent colon cancer.

Re OP's original statement. I really dislike the term "lifestyle change" too as well as "weight loss journey". I won't call out anyone who uses those terms but they are pet peeves. I have never had anyone comment on any changes in eating habits, maybe because I changed over the course of a couple of months, rather than immediately. I chose to make a series of small changes in my life rather than one big change.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I fully endorse and utilize this approach. The language we use is critical. Diet only addresses symptoms of root causes, but a lifestyle change - that looks deeper into the issue and focuses on root cause. This is why diets inevitably fail - drastic changes that are unsustainable long term resulting in short term gain, but long term failures.

Kaizen is the Japanese term for continuous improvement and utilized in businesses to drive success. Successful initiatives focus on small changes that cumulatively have dramatic impact in the long term. C25K would be an excellent example of this concept applied to fitness.

A diet doesn't have to be a drastic change. Eating with desired result of weight loss is a diet whether you like the term or not. It's basic vocabulary. Most lifestyle changes that cause weight loss will include being on a diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited May 2017
    Options
    altered-states.net/barry/newsletter440/

@tomteboda while the above link will sound over the top for some but does a good job of discussing cell technology, the immune system and factors leading to disease states at a cellular level.

I would not suggest buying any of the equipment offered for sale on this site but read the text as a Googling point to find science that supports or refutes views held by the author. I am finding it is important to go back 50-200 years and read the medical thoughts from that era in grasping broader thoughts on cancer and/or just look at current treatment/prevention used outside of the North America today and especially in Europe and Asia.

I just spent a lot of time in a hospital for the past 15 days because I am the guardian of a now 73 yowm that developed pneumonia. He grew up in an era with limited medical care. It is assumed by the doctor that reconstructed both ear drums about 25 years ago that as a very small child he removed his ear drums to ease the pain from fluid build up. He does not have speech and can not read or write but he is quite intelligent despite the environment of his first 50 years. He got to return to his assisted living home yesterday thankfully to the skilled medical care of the past two weeks. Understanding what is going on with cellular voltage is not really taught that much today because it is not well understood.

coachcalorie.com/increase-mitochondrial-density/
    Some may find this from CoachCalorie and other sources interestesting.

mangomannutrition.com/mitochondrial-biogenesis-part1/

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1540458/
    Effects of Exercise on Mitochondrial Content and Function in Aging Human Skeletal Muscle

• LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    It always cracks me up when people ask why I eat the way I do. Often times I'm told "you should enjoy life a little bit more and Splurge the calories". I often smirk & say, " I do but I'd rather have a healthy eating lifestyle then spend my time in the doctor's office to be put on medications to fix condition(s) that can easily be controlled with a proper diet.
    I know throughout the years I have gone through many fad yo-yo diets only to find myself not well. And even now I fall off the proverbial wagon now and then. Believe me I feel it in so many ways. But it's about getting back on that wagon and pushing forward and accepting that we're human while finding a strong support group that makes it all worthwhile :)

That's a mouthful, isn't it :smiley: When people ask why I eat a whole chicken at one sitting, I usually smirk and say:

giphy.gif

uMNAEeX.gif
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I love everyone's input.
    When I refer to the phrase "lifestyle change", it was geared more towards those who have chronic illness, auto-immune disease, diabetes, (type I & II), cancer, heart disease, etc. Where making an overhaul in their eating habits & exercise regime is key to improving/surviving life rather than turn to medication to manage everything.
    From a personal perspective... I found that I had to make a "lifestyle change". Would I love to throw my face into a pile of pizza, takeaway, and sweets every day? You bet your a** I would! Lol. However the direct consequences would be crucial to my health. So this is why I say "It's not a Diet rather a Lifestyle change. "

I was really sick in the late 90s from working in a building with toxic mold and did indeed make a big lifestyle change which eventually included leaving my husband and moving into a yoga retreat center :smiley: