Vibration Machines

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have a total body vibration machine ... it shows me how many calories I burn on it. How can I log that in my exercise?

There is no research to support that calorie number. Vibration machines are really kind of the wild west (american cowboy reference) in fitness and health right now. They actually have a number of specific, research-supported benefits, but the manufacturers are going "outside the lines" to make all kinds of unsupported, seemingly outlandish claims about their benefits. Like any good marketing effort, they do a good job of making all of these claims sound plausible.

Vibration machines are not a complete joke, and those that treat them as such put their own credibility at risk. However, the claims for them that have the most interest for the general public--i.e. easy weight loss and high calorie burn with minimal effort--are also the ones with the least amount of research support.

I would not claim any substantial calorie burn for a "vibration machine" workout, regardless of what the machine reads.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    lra5gp8q0p50.jpg

Mmmm looking at this, would that me that somewhere, there's a parallel universe filled to the brim with fat?

Kinda like, if it all went to a parallel Earth, then the weather forecasts would end up along the lines of:

"Now, for today's weather forecast. Partly overcast with a chance of lipid rain in the early afternoon. Be careful on those roads out there today, due to last nights torrential downpour, the roads are still extremely greasy. The road services will need several hours to neutralize the lipid rain's effects."
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been using a "vibration machine" for a couple years and I don't think it's helped with weight loss at all. :wink:
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I sit on my washing machine during the spin cycle to give me a Brazilian butt lift. Still waiting.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    And not forgetting these. A friend of mine spent a small fortune on weekly sessions on a toning table.
    Did absolutely nothing.

yfobd0w70xbe.png

So funny and sad at the same time!! It is said because all of the money spent on useless products!

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Treece68 wrote: »
    OMG OMG I have a joke about vibration machines ... but it would not be appropriate on MFP *wink*
    Yeah, I think we all wondered what this thread was about.
    That is probably why it hit the front page so fast. LOL

You mean, it isn't one of "those" threads?

Hrmph.
    Sorry Ms. Noir. Maybe next one? ;)
  • pwrlipstick
    pwrlipstick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OMG OMG I have a joke about vibration machines ... but it would not be appropriate on MFP *wink*

At least that's enjoyable!

Maybe burns calories ..??

I mean...it does....but not much!

Willing to conduct some...scientific experiments...to check though! :D
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Mmmm looking at this, would that me that somewhere, there's a parallel universe filled to the brim with fat?

i just finished reading a will self novel called how the dead live, which is too strange to describe in detail. it mostly happens after the heroine's death, and it's about this afterlife where she 'lives' in a suburb with various things from her own actual life. such as dead children and a miscarried foetus and three separate semi-sentient . . . things which are actually all her own 'lost' body fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

At least that's enjoyable!

Maybe burns calories ..??

I mean...it does....but not much!

Willing to conduct some...scientific experiments...to check though! :D

For science, of course
  • Staceyt3393
    Staceyt3393 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    You burn calories period, even in your sleep.
    You burn off extra with movement which could be going for a run or even cleaning and rearranging your house so the effect the vibration has on your muscles opposed to just sitting on the couch would burn a few extra calories 🤣
    There are articles that support full body vibration, one being from mayo clinic. Should it replace actual exercise?
    No, but it does help with balance, circulation and bone density.

[edited by MFP staff]
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    👀 I thought this thread was about something else