Ideal Weight but Still Look Fat, and Not Skinny Fat

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What is skinny fat?

It's when you're at a "normal" or "healthy" weight for your size, but have excessive bodyfat. And thus can exhibit some of the same comorbidities as an obese person. Known in clinical terms as "metabolically obese, normal weight" (MONW).

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/47/5/699
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You might really enjoy yoga or pilates classes so that you're doing body weight engaging exercise in a group setting where there's an instructor to follow and they can give you tips and help with form.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I see you have edited your post. Drop some cardio, add much more weight training. I'm 5'4" and 140 lbs and have a pretty flat stomach for a 140 pounder. Lots of weight training. (And not a single sit up or crunch)
    I can read. Totally editing what I suggested in my previous comment. I still stand by holy crap that's a lot of cardio though. It's not unusual to have a bit of a pooch though.

150 minutes per week is a lot of cardio?? LOL

FYI, the World Health Organization recommends 150 minutes/week of cardio as the minimum and 300 minutes/week as optimal.
    http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/factsheet_adults/en/

"...For additional health benefits, adults should increase their moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity to 300 minutes per week, or engage in 150 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity per week, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity.

Muscle-strengthening activities should be done involving major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week."

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @Traveler120 - She'd originally written 150 hours/week.
  • Traveler120
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

And as you can see, they said they could see she had edited her post to correct it.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

And as you can see, they said they could see she had edited her post to correct it.

Whoop. Reading comprehension fail on my part. Sorry. :)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I see you have edited your post. Drop some cardio, add much more weight training. I'm 5'4" and 140 lbs and have a pretty flat stomach for a 140 pounder. Lots of weight training. (And not a single sit up or crunch)
    I can read. Totally editing what I suggested in my previous comment. I still stand by holy crap that's a lot of cardio though. It's not unusual to have a bit of a pooch though.

FYI, the World Health Organization recommends 150 minutes/week of cardio as the minimum and 300 minutes/week as optimal.

"...For additional health benefits, adults should increase their moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity to 300 minutes per week, or engage in 150 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity per week, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity.

Muscle-strengthening activities should be done involving major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week."

She originally said 150 hours and then corrected it.
  • Traveler120
    Options

Everybody knows that.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    If you are getting bored just standing there counting reps, you might want to consider a crossfit or bootcamp style class--that way you can get your lifting in while shaking things up.

Also, since you like to run outside, you can create your own intensive, resistance-focused bootcamp by incorporating bodyweight exercises along your running route--every 5 or 10 minutes, stop and do 15 push-ups, 25 triceps dips on a park bench, wind sprints up and down some flights of stairs, 15 box jumps onto steps or benches, pull-ups on a jungle gym or tree branch, walking lunges across any bridge you cross, jumping jacks, and all kinds of fun plyometrics with lunges and squats. Run with a resistance band and you can have even more fun of all sorts. All guaranteed to kick your butt while you enjoy the beauties of nature.

This is an excellent idea!

There are also videos that incorporate cardio and resistance work like 30 day or Beginner Shred, The Firm or things like Body Pump classes. If you don't want to spend money, I believe there are things like Fitness Blender on youtube where you can find body weight circuit training videos.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can't measure body fat by a blood test. Cardio will not help you build muscle. Google the difference of results from cardio vs weight training. Believe it or not you may need to gain a little weight to build the muscle you need. I'm in the overweight category of BMI, and I have a flat stomach.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Everybody knows that.

Sorry, when I had read your original comment, which I am very happy to see that you have edited, I just assumed that you were reacting to the overstatement, but now I see that you aimed it directly at these two posters. Duly noted.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    shphippen wrote: »
    So I am a 23 year old 5'4" female and I weigh about 122 pounds. My ideal weight is supposed to be somewhere around 123. However, my stomach is not flat when I look in the mirror like a movie star or many other girls my age, the ones who everyone finds most attractive. I don't want to starve myself, but I don't want to look fat in my clothes. I've already spoken with my doctor about this and been tested to see if I am skinny fat, which I am not. I am not sure what the problem is or what else I can do to achieve a thinner frame, and get rid of the small pouch on my belly.

Maybe it's all in your head, post a pic.
    I also eat 7-8 servings of fruit and veggies a day (4 servings of fruit max, the rest veggie), though not everyday but most days.

Too much fiber can cause bloating in some people, does your belly jingle or is it rock hard?
    For cardio, I've started spending about 150 minutes a week on an elliptical or similar contraption. I've also recently started attempting to lift weight for 20 minutes 3 times a week, but I frequently get bored and would like to find another method of achieving the same type of training and benefits for my body that I would get from weight lifting.

What? You get bored from 60 minutes of lifting but not from 150 minutes of cardio? Try doing a circuit style training or use lots of supersets.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Whoopes yeah 150 minute sorry about that, had a lot of stuff to write down and think about. The problem is I get bored with weight training and was wondering if there is anything else I could do that would provide the same benefits but be more engaging.

Also, my doctor did serveral blood test at my request and determined I would not be skinny fat based on the results.

How is weight training boring? When I'm performing a 225 lb squat I can't be bored. I don't know.

You have to create some kind of stimulus with resistance. What do you do?

It is boring for some people, just as cardio is boring for others.

There are other forms of resistance training that may help you - Pilates for example. But lifting weights is very efficient, you will likely get there sooner.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »
    So I am a 23 year old 5'4" female and I weigh about 122 pounds. My ideal weight is supposed to be somewhere around 123. However, my stomach is not flat when I look in the mirror like a movie star or many other girls my age, the ones who everyone finds most attractive. I don't want to starve myself, but I don't want to look fat in my clothes. I've already spoken with my doctor about this and been tested to see if I am skinny fat, which I am not. I am not sure what the problem is or what else I can do to achieve a thinner frame, and get rid of the small pouch on my belly.

I also eat 7-8 servings of fruit and veggies a day (4 servings of fruit max, the rest veggie), though not everyday but most days.

Too much fiber can cause bloating in some people, does your belly jingle or is it rock hard?
    For cardio, I've started spending about 150 minutes a week on an elliptical or similar contraption. I've also recently started attempting to lift weight for 20 minutes 3 times a week, but I frequently get bored and would like to find another method of achieving the same type of training and benefits for my body that I would get from weight lifting.

I just want to know what this is, because it sounds awesome!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJSJHjiyCDU