Ideal Weight but Still Look Fat, and Not Skinny Fat

Options
124»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you want to look fit you need to lift weights. Not BS like with the 2 lb dumbbells though. Squats, deadlifts, bench, and whatever accessory lifts work for you. I recommend pullups and rows of some kind.

If you push yourself with those exercises trust me, you won't just be bored counting reps in the mirror.

Then there's those in prisons with no access to weights, a lot of them are ripped AF with good levels of muscle, not just lean. From bodyweight.

1. most prisons have weights
    2. Squats, and deadlifts have BW variations or Pushups and pullups only require appropriate real estate..

Kinda my point. More than one way to skin a cat. And not all prisons, perhaps I needed to clarify in case of semantics with SOME in prisons don't have access to weights and still have great physiques.

Point being, lifting heavy weight low reps isn't the only way to recomp/build muscle/conserve muscle/obtain ones desired aesthetic.
  • natester15
    natester15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know I've seen a few others post it and you said that you have started. Just start doing less on the cardio side and do a bit more weight training. When you build up your lean muscle mass especially in your abdomin you will start to look a lot more lean. Even if your weight goes up a little bit you will still look better. Muscle is a lot more dense and weighs more than fat.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    OP, if you find your higher rep weight workouts to be boring, would you be interested in a heavier workout with less reps? More intense? Or maybe you'd like a body weight workout, something completely different?

Either way, having a program with a goal may help it be a bit less boring. For example...I have a goal to get the heaviest single rep on a squat, bench, or deadlift. I've been on a pull-up program with the goal of being able to do a pull up. I've done higher rep work with the goal of building muscle.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you don't like how you look and think you look fat in your clothes, then you simply need to lose weight. Weight lifting will not make you any smaller or make your stomach any flatter. You must lose fat. So either burn more calories though exercise, or cut calories.

Just because you are a healthy weight doesn't mean that it is a weight that looks the way you want it to look. And there is no single ideal weight...I have no idea where you got that. BMI gives a broad range of healthy weights for a given height. Some people...those with higher than normal muscle mass or larger than average builds (very broad shoulders, for example) will look great at the higher ends of it. For other people, even though the high end might technically be a "healthy" weight, they really would be better served from both a health standpoint (in some cases) and in terms of how they look (in many cases) if they lost some weight.

So if you think you look fat (your words...I don't think you look fat in your pic), then you must lose fat to fix that.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    @Traveler120 - She'd originally written 150 hours/week.

And as you can see, they said they could see she had edited her post to correct it.

Actually, I edited it on the basis that I suggested she get into some form of weight training, re-read the post and realized she said she was working on a weight lifting schedule (bored by it, but doing it anyway). She still had 150 hours on her post when I posted. I agree -- 150 minutes is not a ridiculous amount of cardio for the week. Haha
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you like to watch TV while using the cardio machine, try listening to audio books or podcasts while lifting weights. However, like some others have mentioned, when you actually get into the routine of lifting weights, it takes a bit of concentration; sometimes I find myself having to re-listen to my book because I missed something important.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    If you don't like how you look and think you look fat in your clothes, then you simply need to lose weight. Weight lifting will not make you any smaller or make your stomach any flatter. You must lose fat. So either burn more calories though exercise, or cut calories.

Just because you are a healthy weight doesn't mean that it is a weight that looks the way you want it to look. And there is no single ideal weight...I have no idea where you got that. BMI gives a broad range of healthy weights for a given height. Some people...those with higher than normal muscle mass or larger than average builds (very broad shoulders, for example) will look great at the higher ends of it. For other people, even though the high end might technically be a "healthy" weight, they really would be better served from both a health standpoint (in some cases) and in terms of how they look (in many cases) if they lost some weight.

So if you think you look fat (your words...I don't think you look fat in your pic), then you must lose fat to fix that.

She's a 20 BMI. She doesn't need to lose weight. She needs to recomp.

Weight lifting and eating a maintenance will cause her to lose fat while maintaining her weight. I have personally seen a shift in my own body composition over the past year just from exercise alone wherein I have lost abdominal fat due to exercise.

You have no way of knowing that. It depends on her body type to some degree and on aesthetic preferences to a large degree. Just because someone is a healthy weight doesn't mean it is the right weight for them. And weight lifting will not get rid of her stomach. The only way to do that is to lose fat.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I've been following this thread because I'm dying to know how this doctor diagnosed OP to be skinny fat from a blood test. Anyone, anyone?

Yeah that was my first questions but I can't even deal with that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Recomping is a way to get rid of her stomach. (I have no problem if she wants to lose weight instead, but recomping will do it even without weight going down depending on (of course) her aesthetic, because she would be losing fat.)
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yoga/body weight resistance training. Circuits alongside a yoga regimen do it for me.

Building your body's own strength will tighten up your physique and you will feel not only more lean but more powerful. :) and isn't that something we all crave a little?!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

She's a 20 BMI. She doesn't need to lose weight. She needs to recomp.

Weight lifting and eating a maintenance will cause her to lose fat while maintaining her weight. I have personally seen a shift in my own body composition over the past year just from exercise alone wherein I have lost abdominal fat due to exercise.

You have no way of knowing that. It depends on her body type to some degree and on aesthetic preferences to a large degree. Just because someone is a healthy weight doesn't mean it is the right weight for them. And weight lifting will not get rid of her stomach. The only way to do that is to lose fat.

I actually agree with this. I'm not saying the OP needs to lose weight, but I know that being 5'3", I start looking way too pudgy for my liking at around 120, whereas most people my height on these forums have a goal weight of 130-140 and I started at 139. Body type does play a role.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    shame OP never came back...