1300 Calories and not losing!

Options
124»

Replies

• Corey1949
    Corey1949 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Corey1949 wrote: »
    I don't count calories...tried that and only became more ravenous. I count carbs keeping them below 30 and increased my good fat intake to about 160 grams or 22 ounces. Stay away from root vegetables concentrate mainly on vegetables that grow above ground. Works out to about 2000 calories per day per My Fitness Pal. Protein I keep around 93 grams or 15 ounces. I'm 67 and have lost 13 pounds in 6 weeks and feel great without hunger between meals. Check out www.dietdoctor.com.

thats what works for you.2000 for some people may cause them to gain weight,why does someone have to stay away from root vegetables?

Root vegetables have much higher carbohydrates if one is following a low carbohydrate way of eating. The calories would be different for everyone...that's just what they work out for me based on the 30 grams of carbs and 93 grams of protein and 157 grams of fat.
  • Corey1949
    Corey1949 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Corey1949 wrote: »
    Stay away from root vegetables concentrate mainly on vegetables that grow above ground.

What's wrong with root vegetables? Potatoes can be polarizing (I love them), but carrots, beets, turnips, and the like are very low cal...

For someone like me who is trying to limit carbs, root vegetables have too many carbs per serving.
  • Mrussell2237
    Mrussell2237 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well, apparently I am losing in a totally different way this time. I used to lose 1-2 lbs a week.... this time it seems like nothing for a week or 2 and then suddenly a 4-5 lb weight loss. So weird. But I lost another 4.5, so I'll take it.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Well, apparently I am losing in a totally different way this time. I used to lose 1-2 lbs a week.... this time it seems like nothing for a week or 2 and then suddenly a 4-5 lb weight loss. So weird. But I lost another 4.5, so I'll take it.

Completely normal. Weight loss is not linear, not to mention all the random uncontrollable variables being a female adds.
  • Sianybuk
    Sianybuk Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If it's any consolation, I am feeling exactly the same, I'm 100 days in today from starting again and 12 pounds down, I was hoping for at least 14 or more by now, feels like its taking forever, I have a lot to lose so a bit surprised it's just very very slow :(
  • NoIdea103
    NoIdea103 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Yeah, i'm exactly the same; when I lost weight a few years ago I would see a pretty consistent loss every week. These days I've recognised I won't lose anything for three/four weeks and then drop between 2/3lbs seemingly overnight. It's frustrating when you don't see any movement whatsoever (or maybe even little gains) but if you know you are one of the 'whoosh' people it is easier to tell yourself that you WILL see the result and to just keep going!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 60 years old and eating between 1200 and 1350 and losing .5 per week. I know how frustrating it is but it is coming off nontheless. Hang in there. Us older gals have to be more patient.
  • huruta22
    huruta22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way only I'm at 1500 calories! I'm in my late 40s and would like to lose 20 lbs. I'm 3 down over the first 3 weeks. This is probably reasonable, but I thought I'd lose a bit more early on. It's nice to see I'm not alone and the encouragement to keep at it! Makes me realize I just need to keep doing what I am doing and be a bit more patient.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE, and your BMR. Go only 20% below your TDEE, and never below your BMR. This may help you to lose more.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am in need of advice.
    I log faithfully... every BLT even.
    I keep my carbs below 80 and calories right at 1300....I am not losing!
    I am over 50....is that the problem?
    Any ideas to bump metabolism??
    (I have been at this for over 2 months and have lost 9 lbs.)
    I'd kick a puppy to effortlessly lose 9lbs in 2 months. The problem is not your metabolism, it's your expectations. Make them realistic, you're doing great

Well, It's been 2 months logging here, but another month before. I exercise and eat a healthy 1300 calories as well as drinking a gallon of water daily.
    I thought having expectations of 1.5-2 lbs a week in the beginning was realistic, as I have 80 lbs to lose. I understand that as I get closer to a goal weight it would be a much slower loss rate.
    I had previously lost 100 lbs in 9 months on Weight Watchers and maintained it. I gained 90 back after the death of my son 5 years ago.
    I am trying not to be unrealistic or set my expectations too high.... I just remember how much easier it was the last time...

I'm going to go against the flow here and say that at my height of 5'6" and with 80 pounds to lose, I'd be losing a lot faster than a pound a week on 1300 calories. So if you are close to my height, you may wish to change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings so we can check for common logging errors.

Plenty of 50+ women here, myself included, so that's not it per se. I did lose faster when I was younger, but I also had more muscle and was more active.

I would love insight! I am splitting the 1300 calories as breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack. I personally have found (in the past) that with a severely restricted diet, it is best to continually feed my body a little bit at regular intervals....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Mrussell2237

At a glance, it seems you're not weighing your eggs, avocado, chicken or fruit. There's quite a bit of room for error with items like that.

I am weighing meat and such, fruit is measured in cups and I don't weigh my eggs or avocados. I buy the tiny avocados in the bags that come in the 3-packs. I measure out my salad dressings and rarely use other condiments. My eggs are fresh from my chickens and they lay medium eggs, but sometimes some are a bit bigger, so I count them all as large (70 calorie) eggs.
    Pretty much the only fruit I have are the strawberries in my smoothie. (1 cup frozen berries and 2 cups almond milk)

I weigh eggs. Turns out what I counted as 70 calorie large egg was a 94 calorie large egg. There is a usda entry for eggs in grams. A little nutsy, but it helped.

I also weigh fruit and definitely avocado.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am in need of advice.
    I log faithfully... every BLT even.
    I keep my carbs below 80 and calories right at 1300....I am not losing!
    I am over 50....is that the problem?
    Any ideas to bump metabolism??
    (I have been at this for over 2 months and have lost 9 lbs.)

9 pounds in 2 months is an approx. average of a little over a pound a week. I'd say that's progress... hmm