Keto weight loss help me please?

Need help please! I am 25% body fat and thirty pounds overweight. I've been on a ketogenic diet for a month now with no calorie restriction the first couple weeks. The first week I lost 6 lbs and was very happy. I gained it all back since so the last week or so I've been attempting to restrict my calories as well as eat keto. My macros are at 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. I never eat more than 20 grams of carbs any day and I keep my protein no more than 2/3 times my body weight (I weight 180 and am 5'7). I lift weights an hour a day and cardio 30 min a day, 6 days a week. I started an egg fast diet yesterday thinking that might get me losing again like that first week of keto. Can you give me any advice or suggestions on how to break through this weight loss plateau. (Ps prior to keto I ate standard bodybuilding diet, chicken broccoli brown rice etc)

Replies

• ChristianGirl1993
    ChristianGirl1993 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks guys! I use MyFitnessPal and track every teaspoon the bacon grease the coconut oil the mayonnaise the eggs every exact amount I try to eat as accurate as possible so I miss nothing. I also drink a gallon of water a day.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Definitely recommend joining this group - tons of knowledgeable keto/low carb people there. :-) http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    sijomial wrote: »
    I lift weights an hour a day and cardio 30 min a day, 6 days a week.

I predict burn out for you I'm afraid. :(
    Slow down a bit, you didn't gain your excess weight in a few weeks and you won't lose it in a few weeks.

Just a month in and you are desperately looking for extreme solutions - "I started an egg fast diet yesterday".

Think sustainability (diet & exercise) and long term success not short term results.

I'd agree with this, too. Not only has there been sweeping changes, it seems to be frequent changes which doesn't allow a person time to work things out. Add on top, a ton of exercise, it's going to limit a persons ability to recover and limit strength gains.

OP, you don't need a special diet. What you do want is plan to get you on the right direction. What are you goals?
  • ChristianGirl1993
    I've been lifting weights for a year and a half now and have gained significant amounts of muscle. I lost 4 inches off my waist and my hips the first 6 months and no body weight at all the entire time.
  • gwong1966
    gwong1966 Posts: 2 Member
    The great thing about keto is that you don't need to watch the calories, just the carbs (with normal protein). Keep at it!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    gwong1966 wrote: »
    The great thing about keto is that you don't need to watch the calories, just the carbs (with normal protein). Keep at it!

Not true... if you're very overweight/obese you may be able to avoid counting calories because of the natural satiety keto provides. But if you don't have a lot to lose (and are a woman, especially) calorie counting is still very important. I could easily eat 1800-2000 calories of keto-friendly food a day and gain weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member

If you're wanting to lose weight, you do need to watch calories too
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've been lifting weights for a year and a half now and have gained significant amounts of muscle. I lost 4 inches off my waist and my hips the first 6 months and no body weight at all the entire time.

Sounds like you were recomping, which is great, but suggests your calories were near maintenance.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    I take it you've only been tracking your calories for 2 weeks? (You started keto/low carb a month ago and did not track calories for the first couple of weeks.) Realistic expectations are to lose 1-2 pounds per week at most. With 30 pounds to lose, 1 pound per week is fairly realistic while 2 pounds is a bit of a stretch. That does not mean you'll lose each & every week. You will probably need to give it time, track your results over 8-12 weeks, to see the trend really solidify.

If you feel good/energetic/satiated with the low carb/high fat, then keep it up. If not - remember its the calorie tracking that is the real answer to losing weight. How you eat impacts how you feel, not whether or not you lose weight. For that, its how much you eat.
  • ChristianGirl1993
    Thank you so much everyone for the insight I will use it
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

With any diet calories must be watched. With fat clocking in at 9 calories a gram and being the higher % macro, suggesting someone new to low carb/keto for weight loss to not count calories is downright mean. Yes, they'll lose water weight at first at the beginning due to decreasing carbs.. that's what hooks many into LC/keto.
  • ChristianGirl1993
    What got me hooked was not the weight loss (which lasted only a few days) but rather the feeling of always being full. the standard bodybuilding diet ,with similar calories consumed, left me always hungry and more prone to bingeing on unhealthy food options. (Also, there's less belly bloat)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

Here's a great test: Eat 4000 calories per day of protein and fat for a month, then tell us how much weight you've lost over that time span. If it's really true that you don't need to watch the calories*, you should experience an awesome weight loss.

* Hint: It's not really true that you don't need to watch the calories.