Question for others who also have issues with moderation

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tlanger251 wrote: »
    I've been addicted to food my whole life until I started the Keto diet. Now I don't have cravings for food ever, unless I'm physically hungry. I don't need willpower, the cravings are gone. No bored eating, emotional eating, carb binges.

I am sorry but this makes no sense. How would keto or any way of eating make you not addicted to food? Even with a keto diet you are still consuming food. Food addiction is not a real thing, but behavioral/psychological issues that make one consume food to the point of obesity are real issues.

Not necessarily due to the keto, but if you don't eat the fat-starch-sugar snacks for a while, you kind of start to forget the taste and the craving. The had Paczki at the Fat Tuesday swing dance, the moment the fatty-starchy-sugary deliciousness hit my tongue, it was like a wonderful euphoric drug (it had been at least a few months since I had had a donut) - I had forgotten how amazing they were. I was eyeing them all night, and kept returning to the table between sets- I couldn't ditch the craving all night. I think I ate ~4 full ones in total (they had been cut into smaller bite size pieces). :(
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I think for most people, what @lemurcat12 is saying is very true. I think very few people will go into the cabinet and binge eat straight sugar (or even fruit). Sugar/starch/fat and/or starch/fat and/or sugar/fat combinations, OTOH, are hard to resist. (as in chocolate bars, ice cream, pastry, cookies, cake, ..., what people refer to as sweet/sugary snacks, but which would be nowhere near as irresistible without the high fat content). Even most of the salty snacks people crave are high fat (potato chips, bacon, ...).

I have a friend who buys Gummy Bears in Costco sized packages and they are gone in a week. Pure sugar. Same with jelly beans, Peeps, Sour Patch Kids, Popsicles, sherbet, on and on. "Pure sugar" isn't just right-out-of -the-bowl.

Oops. Not a sugar thread.

It's the behavior, not the food.

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Pure sugar is right out of the bowl. I have never grabbed a cup of sugar to munch on.

Gummy bears add a pleasant texture and flavours beyond sugar, and they also fall into the "can't buy it unless I want to eat it all" for me.

Anyway, there are mental and physical components to cravings and overeating. Of course we like sweet things. If it was truly addictive, though, I'd be blowing off work to pawn all my stuff for more gummy bears.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    What I mean with "pure sugar" is that there is not any fat, which is the current argument I'm making. Yes, there are other ingredients, but no fat.
  • annacole94
    Options
    One other thought: the foods I have a very hard time moderating aren't foods I would say I love. If you asked me my favorite foods, I'd say craft beer, great cheese, awesome pizza. I would never say gummy bears or sour patch kids or all dressed chips. And yet the first set I can eat a reasonable serving of and feel satisfied, while the latter set I will eat to oblivion and want more.

That's why I cut them out, vs. trying to learn to moderate them. They're not my actual favorite things, and I don't miss them if they're not around. I just can't deal with them when they are around. They must get in mah belly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think for most people, what @lemurcat12 is saying is very true. I think very few people will go into the cabinet and binge eat straight sugar (or even fruit). Sugar/starch/fat and/or starch/fat and/or sugar/fat combinations, OTOH, are hard to resist. (as in chocolate bars, ice cream, pastry, cookies, cake, ..., what people refer to as sweet/sugary snacks, but which would be nowhere near as irresistible without the high fat content). Even most of the salty snacks people crave are high fat (potato chips, bacon, ...).

I have a friend who buys Gummy Bears in Costco sized packages and they are gone in a week. Pure sugar. Same with jelly beans, Peeps, Sour Patch Kids, Popsicles, sherbet, on and on. "Pure sugar" isn't just right-out-of -the-bowl.

Oops. Not a sugar thread.

It's the behavior, not the food.

Don't know why I'm feeling defensive, but I need to point out that I have not claimed the food makes you do it. I said something similar about it being behavior driven:
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For me it's really about habit and context-- I don't feel like I want more if I eat a KitKat normally, but if I let myself snack at all (especially for emotional reasons) it can open the door to me wanting to continue to snack, because it triggers old habits in my brain. What it is I'm eating makes no difference there, it's the context, the snacking -- I find it happens if I grab some nuts midday too, which is when I finally had to decide that for me snacking is a bad idea, and sticking to 3 meals plus dessert is a better plan.

The point about sugar vs. tasty foods that are made with sugar (and more often than not other ingredients too) was precisely that it wasn't a compulsion caused by sugar (as ndj had said "fruit has sugar too," and the person blaming sugar had said that fruit was not an issue), but that it was a reaction to something being tasty.

I think more often than not the tasty things aren't just sugar (but admit this could be a blind spot because none of the just sugar things you mentioned are ones I can see consuming lots of calories of, and I am sure people do). However, as annacole94 mentioned, the issue with those things is not simply that they are sugary (why not just eat sugar then?) but that they are perceived as tasty or, in some cases, you just want to eat and they are convenient.

My point was that moderation is not a problem just with sweet things, lots of people have issues with all kinds of savory things, and few people have equal issues with all sweet things. Saying "it's sugar" is not correct, IMO.

If you think taste has NOTHING to do with it, then we do disagree -- I think hedonic eating is a thing that people struggle with, not just actual hunger or habit. But it's tricky since it all gets mixed up too.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I've been addicted to food my whole life until I started the Keto diet. Now I don't have cravings for food ever, unless I'm physically hungry. I don't need willpower, the cravings are gone. No bored eating, emotional eating, carb binges.

I am sorry but this makes no sense. How would keto or any way of eating make you not addicted to food? Even with a keto diet you are still consuming food. Food addiction is not a real thing, but behavioral/psychological issues that make one consume food to the point of obesity are real issues.

That's just how the body reacts, for a lot of people. Eating can be addictive because it's unmistakably a pleasure, a reward. Where there's a reward/pleasure, there's possible addiction.

Food items can directly affect the brain chemistry which is biological. Take for example alcohol, which is quite a popular food item. Alcohol acts like a psychotic drug to the body. Lots of people crave that relaxing feeling from it, Not necessarily behavioral/psychological effects. Coffee is another good example.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I've been watching several of the 10,000 calories challenges on YouTube and all the participants experience the same. They have tremendous difficulty hitting the 10k mark just with sweets or salty foods, but combine and switch to keep feeding. This is where the science/art of hyperpalatable foods comes in to play.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Lemur, all that explanation was after the statement that I have issue with. The "most people binge on combination fat/sugar foods."

Yes, it is more common to binge on those because we naturally want to balance out those macros and they are tasty. But there is an alternative binge. Like I said, I have eaten a half cup of sugar out of the bowl. It depends on what I have in the house. Now I just have to stop myself from doing that - and I still will eat a pound of grapes in one sitting. Like I said, I have a very long list of foods that will trigger it - AND emotions that will trigger it. The trick is to just not get started, to stay satiated on good balanced meals.

No need to be defensive. I'm just making a point that the statement is misleading...every time I read it I get cognitive dissonance.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

That's just how the body reacts, for a lot of people. Eating can be addictive because it's unmistakably a pleasure, a reward. Where there's a reward/pleasure, there's possible addiction.

Food items can directly affect the brain chemistry which is biological. Take for example alcohol, which is quite a popular food item. Alcohol acts like a psychotic drug to the body. Lots of people crave that relaxing feeling from it, Not necessarily behavioral/psychological effects. Coffee is another good example.

sorry, food is not addictive.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Not necessarily due to the keto, but if you don't eat the fat-starch-sugar snacks for a while, you kind of start to forget the taste and the craving. The had Paczki at the Fat Tuesday swing dance, the moment the fatty-starchy-sugary deliciousness hit my tongue, it was like a wonderful euphoric drug (it had been at least a few months since I had had a donut) - I had forgotten how amazing they were. I was eyeing them all night, and kept returning to the table between sets- I couldn't ditch the craving all night. I think I ate ~4 full ones in total (they had been cut into smaller bite size pieces). :(

so you avoid anything with fat and sugar in them?
  • cmriverside
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've also eaten 1800 calories of peanut butter right out of the jar.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

so you avoid anything with fat and sugar in them?

At 4'10", 119 lbs, calorie bombs like donuts, cakes, etc don't fit into my regular diet very well (even on a cardio day). I don't buy them. I'll eat them if I'm out at a dance and someone puts them out and they look good. There isn't typically donuts though.
  • annacole94
    Options

That's impressive. What are you looking for here? We're all just talking about our own experiences, or generally referencing other articles or studies. It sounds like you definitely have some more major issues to deal with than I do. I hope it's going well.

I still don't think it's a physical addiction, unless you're stealing bikes to sell for your next PB fix. Real addiction is a big deal.
  • cmriverside
    edited May 2017
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

That's impressive. What are you looking for here? We're all just talking about our own experiences, or generally referencing other articles or studies. It sounds like you definitely have some more major issues to deal with than I do. I hope it's going well.

I still don't think it's a physical addiction, unless you're stealing bikes to sell for your next PB fix. Real addiction is a big deal.

I've been at a healthy weight for 10 years. I don't consider something "a major issue" if it doesn't affect my life.

I'm not arguing for the term "addiction." I am saying there are many reasons and many foods that I can eat compulsively if the conditions are right - not just combo sugar/fat foods.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I've been at a healthy weight for 10 years. I don't consider something "a major issue" if it doesn't affect my life.

I'm not arguing for the term "addiction." I am saying there are many reasons and many foods that I can eat compulsively if the conditions are right - not just combo sugar/fat foods.

i don't think anyone is saying otherwise...
  • cmriverside
    Options

i don't think anyone is saying otherwise...

lol. This whole thing started because that is exactly what Lemur says repeatedly.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

You are confusing yourself when you are over generalizing food is food. You are (intentionally?) avoiding to look at specific foods. Celery is highly unlikely addictive. Coffee, alcohol are very likely addictive. There are real highs from them that people get.

Btw, I sense that you are kinda lazy with thinking, the way you post. LOL
  • ndj1979
    edited May 2017
    Options

You are confusing yourself when you are over generalizing food is food. You are (intentionally?) avoiding to look at specific foods. Celery is highly unlikely addictive. Coffee, alcohol are very likely addictive. There are real highs from them that people get.

Btw, I sense that you are kinda lazy with thinking, the way you post. LOL

coffee is a food, really?

if food is not food, then what is it?

• annacole94
    Options
    Caffeine and alcohol are drugs.

And even if you find some foods easier to compulsively eat, it's pretty rare to actually chug a bottle of oil, or eat actual straight white sugar. So combinations are generally more attractive than single components.