Fat question

Options
I am doing a low carb, no sugar diet. This sometimes leaves me with higher fat counts. I eat lots of spinach, chicken, boiled eggs, and my favorite protein shake(9 grams of fat). If I end up snacking on nuts, my fat and calories go thru the roof. I prefer a shake or smoothie in the morning and salads with protien after that. I do tend to crave snacks after 8 pm. I try to drink lemon water to stay these cravings but end up going to potty all night long. Any ideas for things to snack on?

Replies

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    yes... beef jerky, hard boiled egg whites, turkey jerkey, celery with PB2, air popped pop corn (if it fits in with your carbs), turkey rolled up around celery, plain yogurt (low sugar), with PB mixed in... kale krunch (paleo), mediterranean bars (also paleo)
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is made with enormous amount of sugar.

I can't think of anything else other than hard boiled eggs and grilled chicken breast.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, it does not look like you are eating enough which is probably why you are hungry at night. You are consuming less than 1000 calories/day. Is there a medical reason you are eating so little?

I second this! You should at least be eating your goal .. unless you have a medical condition. Even some will think 1200 is too low
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A half handful of sunflower kernels or some baby lima beans both do wonders for curbing my appetite. 23 grams of sunflower kernels has 139 calories, less than 4 carbs and 0 sugar (Dakota Style brand). 40 grams of steamed baby lima beans (frozen, organic) contain around 50 calories, 10 carbs and about 1 gram of sugar. Hopefully these are not only appealing, but fit into your plan. Good luck!
  • Leboo74
    Leboo74 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure and I'm insulin resistant. I think I'm eating more than logged. I mean, I log what I eat but I didn't have a food scale until today so I think it's off. So far I haven't lost any weight in the last 2 weeks but I've lost 4 inches.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Leboo74 wrote: »
    I am doing a low carb, no sugar diet. This sometimes leaves me with higher fat counts. I eat lots of spinach, chicken, boiled eggs, and my favorite protein shake(9 grams of fat). If I end up snacking on nuts, my fat and calories go thru the roof. I prefer a shake or smoothie in the morning and salads with protien after that. I do tend to crave snacks after 8 pm. I try to drink lemon water to stay these cravings but end up going to potty all night long. Any ideas for things to snack on?

I'm a little confused -- are you asking for low fat snacks? Normally you would have higher fat with a low carb diet, and that's fine.

Maybe if you give us your calorie goal and macro goals and where you usually end up, that would help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're low fat then you are supposed to be high fat?
  • Leboo74
    Leboo74 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So today I've had 41 fat grams. Came from protein shake,salmon,boiled egg,2 tbsp of cheese,and Caesar dressing. Is that too much fat. Heart disease runs in my family so I'm just concerned.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    So today I've had 41 fat grams. Came from protein shake,salmon,boiled egg,2 tbsp of cheese,and Caesar dressing. Is that too much fat. Heart disease runs in my family so I'm just concerned.

Dietary fat does not cause heart disease. That old myth has been debunked. Getting fat is linked to heart disease but eating fat is not... for the average person. There is a small minority with hypercholesterolemia who can not eat fat but otherwise fat is fine to eat.

In fact, eating lower carbs and higher fat tends to raise HDL, improve your LDL size, and lower triglycerides. All good things.

As lemurcat12 said, most low carbers eat higher fat than average. I am very low carb, and my fat intake is almost always well over 100 g per day. That's about 900+ calories.

Try reading Cholesterol Clarity; The Big Fat Surprise; Cholesterol Con; The Great Cholesterol Myth; or Good Calories, Bad Calories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHGiid6N9Q

You can probably include more fats in your diet. Snacks like an avocado, eggs, nuts, pepperoni, cheese, veggies and dip, or leftovers are fine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is made with enormous amount of sugar.

I can't think of anything else other than hard boiled eggs and grilled chicken breast.
    Not mine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Given what I'm seeing in your diary, I'm going to encourage you to join: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    It's the best place to get good advice from folks who understand what you're trying to do.

Best of luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So stop following a high fat diet?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I am curious what kind of diet you are trying to follow and if it's medically-recommended or not. You said initially you are doing a lower carb diet (so am I), and I think that can be a good approach, but generally if you do low carb you don't worry about high fat and over 41 would be totally fine (I'm doing a very low carb diet, so currently aiming for 94 g of fat). There are reasons you might be advised to watch sat fat and, more rarely, reasons to watch total fat, so I don't want to step on your doctor's toes if you were told to do that, but if so I think it's a good idea to ask to talk to a registered dietitian to understand the approach your doctor wants you to follow.

If not, another question would be if it's just heart disease in your family (mine too, again), or if there are specific tests that have been concerning -- blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. It might make a difference.

One possibility is watching saturated fat (there's controversy, but many medical professionals and respected nutrition types, like Walter Willett) will say the evidence is still there to avoid overconsuming sat fat, but consuming higher amounts of other fats, sources like fatty fish, nuts and seeds, avocados, olives and olive oil, and even sat fat from plants, which is usually not considered to be as problematic. This wouldn't require you to strictly avoid sat fat, but just watch where your additional fat comes from, and these foods are generally excellent for you anyway.

If you are committed to doing low carb and haven't been advised by a doctor to do low fat (or some other special diet), I'd also second Sabine's recommendation that you check out the low carb group.