Is diet coke good for you?

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I will say that I have stopped drinking diet soda- mainly because my habit was expensive (I could go through 6 cans a day so 3-4 cases a week). I drink it rarely when I am out, but otherwise I stick to coffee/tea and water. Did I think it was bad for me health-wise? Not particularly. Do I know being overweight is detrimental health-wise? Yes. So I will make the choices that fit my lifestyle to address the issue I DO know is a problem, so I can fix my weight in the long term. There is no one "perfect" solution so if it involves drinking diet soda, more power to you. If you chose to not drink diet soda again, more power to you. Find a sustainable plan for you that fits your goals, and go with it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Very different questions.

Is it good for you? I doubt it.

Can you lose weight while drinking it? There are differing thoughts, but I'd bet for the average person, yes.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    It's pretty acidic and therefore bad for your teeth. It also has some artificial additives - like caramel color that might be bad for you.

IMO it's OK occasionally, especially as a substitute for a sugary soda.
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Studies have found that those who drink diet soda consume more calories total than those who consume regular soda. It seems to confuse the body's hunger response. If you have no weight problems it won't hurt you, but why would you drink it if you had no weight problems, since it tastes nasty?

Myself and many others here have lost weight and maintained while drinking diet soda. I drink it because I prefer to save my calories for food.

Do what works for you. Your experience is not typical. Look it up. Or ignore science, no skin off my nose. But there is actual evidence that for most people swapping to diet soda does not lead to weight loss.

Can you post these studies?
    I seem to recall that most of them were woo rather than science.

• shimiusha
    shimiusha Posts: 4 Member
    I dont like drinking my calories and I dont like Diet Coke but if I am having a meal and I want to have something 'treatful' I drink a 200ml glass of Coke Zero. I hate the taste of Diet Coke. No need to live on it. Coke zero is good, Water is better.
  • Gurliacci
    Gurliacci Posts: 10 Member
    This is an insane discussion. It's bad for your teeth! Ask your dentist! Taking care of your teeth is incredibly important and an often overlooked health issue. You're better off skipping the juices, and soda (diet or otherwise) and sticking to water and milk.

That being said, Diet Coke alone shouldnt make you gain weight if the rest of your diet is on point. You can take steps to reduce the negative impact of highly acidic drinks on your teeth. For example, moderate your intake, drink with a straw and rinse your mouth when your done.

https://www.wda.org/your-oral-health/sip-all-day

Consider how you are fueling your body though; are you drinking Diet Coke because you're fatigued all the time and need the caffeine? You can be skinny with nutritional deficiencies and health problems (and bad teeth)!

Live your own life, treat yourself once in a while. But don't pretend that Diet Coke is a "healthy" drink because it has no calories.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Gurliacci wrote: »
    This is an insane discussion. It's bad for your teeth! Ask your dentist! Taking care of your teeth is incredibly important and an often overlooked health issue. You're better off skipping the juices, and soda (diet or otherwise) and sticking to water and milk.

That being said, Diet Coke alone shouldnt make you gain weight if the rest of your diet is on point. You can take steps to reduce the negative impact of highly acidic drinks on your teeth. For example, moderate your intake, drink with a straw and rinse your mouth when your done.

Consider how you are fueling your body though; are you drinking Diet Coke because you're fatigued all the time and need the caffeine? You can be skinny with nutritional deficiencies and health problems (and bad teeth)!

Live your own life, treat yourself once in a while. But don't pretend that Diet Coke is a "healthy" drink because it has no calories.

absent the teeth issue, which can be solved via regular brushing and flossing. What exactly is not healthy about diet coke that is 99% water?
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    edited May 2017
    ndj1979 wrote: »

absent the teeth issue, which can be solved via regular brushing and flossing. What exactly is not healthy about diet coke that is 99% water?

Well the acid in the soda eats away at enamel and once that is gone there is no getting it back. No amount of brushing and flossing will help that tooth. They also know that soda is bad for bone density but they have yet to figure out what about it causes bone loss. Most doctors say stick to 1 to 2 a day and you should be ok or switch to non-cola sodas because those who drank non-cola didn't have a bone density change. As for teeth, drinking through a straw can help with that issue and not brushing your teeth immediately after consuming a high acid drink like soda and orange juice.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Bronty3 wrote: »

Well the acid in the soda eats away at enamel and once that is gone there is no getting it back. No amount of brushing and flossing will help that tooth. They also know that soda is bad for bone density but they have yet to figure out what about it causes bone loss. Most doctors say stick to 1 to 2 a day and you should be ok or switch to non-cola sodas because those who drank non-cola didn't have a bone density change. As for teeth, drinking through a straw can help with that issue and not brushing your teeth immediately after consuming a high acid drink like soda and orange juice.

They asked other than the teeth issue, what is not healthy about diet soda, and 99% of your response was about the teeth issue...
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    I dont think its a mega issue aslong as your not drinking tonnes and tonnes of it. I have 1 can of diet juice of sorts a day
  • Bronty3

They asked other than the teeth issue, what is not healthy about diet soda, and 99% of your response was about the teeth issue...

50% my response was also about bone issues actually. And the reason I explained teeth issues was that he acted like flossing and brushing would negate the issues it causes to teeth, and it doesn't.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

50% my response was also about bone issues actually. And the reason I explained teeth issues was that he acted like flossing and brushing would negate the issues it causes to teeth, and it doesn't.

Actually it does. Ask your dentist
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited May 2017

Didn't change the fact that they asked for reasons other than teeth and you continued to talk about teeth.

And he didn't say negate it or reverse it, he said prevent it. Huge difference. A dentist would agree that brushing and flossing after soda consumption will help prevent enamel loss.
  • Bronty3

Actually it does. Ask your dentist

Brushing and flossing can rid your mouth of bacteria that creates acid, but we are talking about acid from food and drink sources that can also erode your teeth. With these they recommend cutting back on the substance, using a straw, rinsing your mouth with water after consuming something highly acidic, and waiting to brush your teeth. This applies to wine, lemon, oranges, limes, soda, some juice, etc.
  • Bronty3

Didn't change the fact that they asked for reasons other than teeth and you continued to talk about teeth.

And he didn't say negate it or reverse it, he said prevent it. Huge difference. A dentist would agree that brushing and flossing after soda consumption will help prevent enamel loss.

No a dentist would not. It's like brushing your teeth with acid if you do it after. They recommend the opposite, which is waiting to brush your teeth. That is why I commented. Brushing and flossing helps most with acid by ridding it of bacteria on your teeth that creates acid. We are talking about acid from outside sources and they recommend rinsing with water, consuming less of that, using a straw, etc. Due to the fact that he seemed misinformed I decided to comment. I, also, then gave him another reason, which was bone density issues. I'm not sure why this bothered you so much.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Do you have any peer reviewed literature stating that diet soda is bad for bone density???