Keto diet

Options
bgonzalez_2016
bgonzalez_2016 Posts: 24 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Maybe someone can help me out, I am very interested in starting the Keto diet, but according to the Keto calculator I'm supposed to consume 20g Carbs, 63g Protein, and 94g of fat!!! Is that even possible to consume that many grams of fat without going over the carb intake?

Replies

• CodysKeto
    CodysKeto Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Keto may not be for you but it's definitely possible to get that much fat in without that many carbs. What you should remember is Net carbs which is the reduction of total carbs subtracted from total fiber within that food. So 10g Carbs with 8g fiber would make it 2g Net carbs.

Just a little struggle to get through that first week but once you're there it's smooth sailing as you can feel being more focused, less hungry and more energy.

I think taking it slow is best maybe hit 70g fats and slowly Day by day work your way up in fats to see where your body cracks cause at some point you'll find that it upsets your stomach and causes you to pass liquid number 2s
    [post edited by MFP mods]
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone can help me out, I am very interested in starting the Keto diet, but according to the Keto calculator I'm supposed to consume 20g Carbs, 63g Protein, and 94g of fat!!! Is that even possible to consume that many grams of fat without going over the carb intake?

Yeah, sure. Come to the low carb group and you can find lots of people who do it: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I find it difficult to keep carbs below 20 (mine are more like 50-60 -- I think that should put me in ketosis with exercise, but I haven't checked yet), but it has 0 to do with getting in the fat. It's about getting in enough vegetables, which I find difficult to do with a lower carb level, plus I love nuts and dairy and want to keep them in my diet too.

I'd say that there's also no need to go straight to keto, as you may find that low carb is helpful without having to make it the most extreme version. I am trying out keto just out of curiosity (again, assuming that I can get there without cutting down on my vegetable intake unreasonably), but for me most of the benefits I've found from low carb are there at a higher carb level too (like around 100 g). I am not sure why it's all about keto right now -- I think there's some "the more extreme the better" thing that happens with diets or else that people believe that ketones are what cause weight loss, and that's not true.

I'm not anti keto or other forms of very LCHF diets, but it's just something I've noticed lately. My thought would be to experiment with different carb levels (as well as making improvements to the diet if there are reasons to) and see what the effect is.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You may not even have to go that low in terms of carbs. In order to get into ketosis, there is a range.. So you may be able to achieve the results with a higher carb range (i.e., net 50g); in some highly active people, it can go much higher, too.

I'd question if that is enough protein for you. What are your stats and what are your goals (even outside of weight).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    You may not even have to go that low in terms of carbs. In order to get into ketosis, there is a range.. So you may be able to achieve the results with a higher carb range (i.e., net 50g); in some highly active people, it can go much higher, too.

I'd question if that is enough protein for you. What are your stats and what are your goals (even outside of weight).

Good catch. Whatever source is popularizing the idea of keto for lots of people coming here seems to be pushing under 20 g carbs (not necessarily net), 20% protein, and the rest fat. You don't need that to get into ketosis for most (certainly not such low protein), and I would agree that such low protein is a bad idea combined with low calories (which these generally are -- OP's add up to less than 1200 if the 20 is gross, not net, not much more even if it's net).
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It's possible, you basically focus on things like oil, butter, eggs, cheese, and fattier cuts of meat. These contain little to no carbs. Most of your carbs would be coming from leafy green vegetables and avocado.

Bingo. Just make sure the carbs you do eat are coming from veggies. I have no issue meeting my fat goal with cheese, cream, butter, meat, mayo, etc.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    Bacon is your new best friend.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    My paleo macros are as follows: 40% fat; 45% protein; 15% carbs @ 1400 calories. I "flirt" with ketosis since my carbs are so low.

It's worked well for me as a 190+ lb 5'6" woman (last November weight), my weight a few weeks ago was 157 lbs.

I include some very nutrient dense foods (a protein shake* for breakfast and a "blended" meal for lunch along with some mushrooms and mixed greens along with some Greek yogurt and shredded coconut) to assist with supporting collagen and muscle maintenance. The added fat in these meals keep me from being hungry and are within my calorie limit.

I also eat 1 or 2 tablespoons of unsweetened peanut butter daily or a teaspoon of unsweetened coconut cream (just coconut meat and oil).

I dress my salad with a really high grade of cold pressed olive oil and will mix the olive oil in sardines / tuna in with the fish to obtain more oil. If I make lamb croquettes the fat is used in cooked greens. Getting enough fat isn't hard.

I make up my own from plain protein powder with no additives in an effort to "eat clean". I also don't eat many "prepared foods" out of cans or boxes. I have also noticed that even meat at many restaurants now arrive "pre-treated" with things to make them last longer in the freezer and I am working on eliminating these things from my diet also.

For the idea behind blended meals, see this website for details: http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

Many people think that you have to make many life-style changes all at once and in my opinion, that is not sustainable. As a former over weight person, who got that gradually due to aging, stress and slowing metabolism and menopause, the thought of exercising made me nervous because just walking more than a quarter mile would make me sick. I fiddled around with eating the same and just reducing calories and I was "hangry" (hungry and angry) and couldn't imagine "dieting" as a way of life.

(And, I am not always strict about eating no carbs -- I still occasionally allow myself some of the things that I like, {{{FRENCH FRIES}}} - just not more than once a week).
  • nab212
    nab212 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What exactly is this keto diet people speak of?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    nab212 wrote: »

In my case it is <50 grams of carbs and 75-90 grams of protein making up the rest with fats from plants for the most part as long as none of my calories come from any form of grain. Keto can be done many ways as long as the carbs are at or under 50 grams daily generally speaking. Keto is not a diet more just another Way Of Eating. I lose weight eating Keto but I do not eat Keto WOE to lose weight.

Welcome to MFP forums @nab212.
  • HeartNebula
    HeartNebula Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend searching YouTube for "Dr. Eric Westman Duke University Ketogenic Diet" which will give you a lovely breakdown of why and how to do this type of diet. It's all about insulin. Another incredibly informative video Sarah Hallberg's TED talk on reversing type 2 diabetes (and you don't need to have T2D to see the value in a low carb diet, seriously her video is crazy informative).

I manage keeping my total carbs at/around 20g by sticking with Dr.Westman's guidelines.

Best of luck!
  • smconos
    smconos Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/5r8t6z/the_ketogains_macro_calculator_and_how_to_set_up/?st=J1UHU35I&sh=76e9a34c

Try this calculator, Ketogains is more about high Protein, Moderate Fat and low carbs.

You need to experiment to see how your body adapts.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    nab212 wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/keto_in_a_nutshell