Lost

Options
Alright, here we go.

My name is Jason, I'm 30 years old, I stand 5'9" tall, I weigh 229 pounds and I need help.

A little bit about me:

I am married with my first child on the way. I work a desk job that takes 45-50 hours a week out of my life and I have a 45 minute commute each way to/from work. When I was younger I was an avid weight room junkie and put on a significant amount of muscle through high school and college. When college progressed my time spent working out dropped but I kept eating like I was before. I graduated college and worked at a desk job. Things caught up with me. I ballooned up to 245 pounds. I decided I wasn't happy with myself and was finally going to face the music and do something about it. I joined MFP and I lost 45 pounds. I got down to 200. First time in my life that I had successfully lost weight. I've always had a decent build from all of the time I put in at the gym and at 200 I was incredibly happy with the scale but not with how I looked (mostly due to the fact that dropping the 45 pounds was a result of portion control and counting calories and not working out). I moved and took a new job and started working out regularly. I gained 9-10 pounds or so but was totally okay with this as my build and shape was much more in line with what I wanted. I was finally happy with how I looked.

Fast forward and I moved again and took a new job (my current job). I planned a wedding and got married. I stopped working out due to trying to focus on being home after work to have dinner and spend my evenings with my wife. I have gained 20 pounds to bring me to my current weight of 229 pounds. I want to lose this weight and keep it off for good. But I'm scared of failure, I don't really have a good support group and my situation for working out is in shambles. I want to lift at a gym but I don't know how to fit it into my schedule. I want to track my food but I keep losing motivation. How do I succeed? What am I missing? I would love, more than anything, to be less than 200 pounds again. I have my first child on the way. I want to be healthy so they will have a father figure who will always be around for them.

I'm at your mercy. Ask any questions you need. I'm desperate for a solution that works.

-Jason

Replies

• kevin_montgomery
    kevin_montgomery Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can totally identify with the difficulty of self-motivation. I knew for a while that I needed to get back on my weight loss plan, but couldn't actually make myself do it. It had to really take a hard look at myself and make that commitment. I was sick and tired of being unhealthy and the only person who could make it better was me. I am now 53 days on plan and I have lost 27 pounds so far. The hardest part was actually getting started. Once I started to see some progress, that was what really motivated me and it has gotten easier. All I can say is stick with it. I wish you the best and congratulations are in order for having a kid on the way. Being a father is awesome and has also been a big factor for me wanting to improve myself.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I too stopped going to have each evening with my boyfriend.
    Now I get up at 4am to make it still possible (:

Edited to correct the plural "boyfriends". I...only have one.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    If you have the space, you could set up your own weight station at home. Try finding some used barbells and plates, and get started. Even if you don't have room for an entire setup, surely you could buy some weights or even kettle balls. There are also lots of body-weight exercises you could do at home, Google Convict Conditioning.

There's always a way. Walk with the wife, plan your meals together - get her on board.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    What about sacrificing a little sleep to get up earlier and hit the gym before work?

Motivation is a fickle beast, but powering through the first couple weeks and building the habit makes a world of difference.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd think the best thing to lose weight at this point is to start with what you're eating. Your wife is pregnant and presumably trying to eat healthy-ish for the baby (not dieting, just eat healthy). You'll both want to be healthy to keep up with the baby when s/he arrives!! You could start by changing what you're cooking. When you cook, immediately put the leftovers in portion sized containers so that it's easy to grab and reheat. On Sundays, it helps me to plan for the week before I grocery shop...when I come home I immediately make containers of snacks and stuff for at least a few days.

Others have given some good suggestions about trying to fit workouts in! I'd echo the suggestion to get up early to try and fit in some activity or else maybe at lunch?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that this is something you'll want to be able to sustain for FREAKING EVER. With that in mind, I find it helps me to make small, incremental changes, because it's easier to stick with them. It's really, really, REALLY hard for me to form habits.

Maybe start out by going for a 15-20 minute walk around the neighborhood with the wife in the evenings after dinner. Ask your wife if she'd be willing to count reps when you do body-weight exercises. I've found that having my husband cheer me on makes it slightly less of a chore for me ;)
  • JBerg04
    JBerg04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We currently rent a townhouse and there is no basement, due to space constraints a home gym isn't an option. I've tried to get my wife to work out with me before but she doesn't have any desire to do so and if she does go with me (which we've tried before) she doesn't have the same drive for lifting and putting in that extra 10% that makes the difference with the weights. So we dropped the gym membership. I feel incredibly limited in my options. I was hoping to avoid the whole "wake up at 4am before 90% of the world is functioning in order to go work out" situation but that might be my only option...
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You guys don't have to do the same workout, just walking in the door together gets you there.
  • JBerg04
    JBerg04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My wife is not someone I can go to the gym with. I am content to spend an hour to an hour and a half lifting weights if I go. She wants to get in and get out and wants to leave after half an hour. I can't do what I want to do in half an hour. So I am forced to cut my workout short, even if we're not doing the same things. That doesn't help fix my problem unfortunately =(

I think I am going to try and look at waking up earlier and trying to get into a routine where I go work out before work. The gym I can use has showers so that won't be a problem. The biggest challenge I'm looking at if I do this is motivation and sticking with it. How do you guys/gals keep getting up at 4am?
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    JBerg04 wrote: »
    Alright, here we go.

My name is Jason, I'm 30 years old, I stand 5'9" tall, I weigh 229 pounds and I need help.

A little bit about me:

I am married with my first child on the way. I work a desk job that takes 45-50 hours a week out of my life and I have a 45 minute commute each way to/from work. When I was younger I was an avid weight room junkie and put on a significant amount of muscle through high school and college. When college progressed my time spent working out dropped but I kept eating like I was before. I graduated college and worked at a desk job. Things caught up with me. I ballooned up to 245 pounds. I decided I wasn't happy with myself and was finally going to face the music and do something about it. I joined MFP and I lost 45 pounds. I got down to 200. First time in my life that I had successfully lost weight. I've always had a decent build from all of the time I put in at the gym and at 200 I was incredibly happy with the scale but not with how I looked (mostly due to the fact that dropping the 45 pounds was a result of portion control and counting calories and not working out). I moved and took a new job and started working out regularly. I gained 9-10 pounds or so but was totally okay with this as my build and shape was much more in line with what I wanted. I was finally happy with how I looked.

Fast forward and I moved again and took a new job (my current job). I planned a wedding and got married. I stopped working out due to trying to focus on being home after work to have dinner and spend my evenings with my wife. I have gained 20 pounds to bring me to my current weight of 229 pounds. I want to lose this weight and keep it off for good. But I'm scared of failure, I don't really have a good support group and my situation for working out is in shambles. I want to lift at a gym but I don't know how to fit it into my schedule. I want to track my food but I keep losing motivation. How do I succeed? What am I missing? I would love, more than anything, to be less than 200 pounds again. I have my first child on the way. I want to be healthy so they will have a father figure who will always be around for them.

I'm at your mercy. Ask any questions you need. I'm desperate for a solution that works.

-Jason

What do you have around your work? What is your lunch schedule there? I work an office job as well 40+ hours a week as well. I know you and I are not looking for the same type of loss, but sitting at this DAMN DESK I have lost 30 lbs in 3 months.

I eat my lunch at my desk (if this is ok for you) and I take my 1 hour lunch and I go the gym. There happens to be one in the building I work at, so yes this works out nicely for me, but if there is one in the general area where you work I would suggest it then. One of my co-workers does that, he goes to a gym near by and lifts there (as the work gym only has dumbells and a bowflex machine).

You definitely need to get your wife on board. Or at least aware of your goals and that you really want to try. My husband isn't losing weight or even trying right now, but he knows I am busting my *kitten* to do so. He understands when I go outside, maybe, one day a week and I will walk/jog up and down my driveway just to get my cardio in if I miss it, or if I take 30 min to do a workout video. I know family life is VERY important, but you also need to take care of YOU. I have learned that recently (I am the caregiver, and take care of everyone else first) and I am happier for it.

There are 24 hours in a day. Do your math...even if you can only get 20 min in DO IT and MAKE IT COUNT! It is better than NOTHING AT ALL!
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:20 AM to go to the gym before work. It's important to me, and I prefer to work out in the AM, versus trusting myself to still be motivated to go the gym after work and not go straight home. Different people have different preferences. I also drive 45 minutes to work. My gym is right around the corner from my work, which makes it convenient for me; maybe you could find a gym near your work?

You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but as you have mentioned in your original post, working out can improve your body composition and enable you to eat more calories while remaining in a deficit.

As far as motivation, I think that is something personal. We all have different goals and driving forces. I want to be fit and healthy throughout my life, and I like looking small yet strong.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    My wife is not someone I can go to the gym with. I am content to spend an hour to an hour and a half lifting weights if I go. She wants to get in and get out and wants to leave after half an hour. I can't do what I want to do in half an hour. So I am forced to cut my workout short, even if we're not doing the same things. That doesn't help fix my problem unfortunately =(

I think I am going to try and look at waking up earlier and trying to get into a routine where I go work out before work. The gym I can use has showers so that won't be a problem. The biggest challenge I'm looking at if I do this is motivation and sticking with it. How do you guys/gals keep getting up at 4am?

Do you like sports and competition? Workout by self bores me to death. I pick up tennis and somehow all the drama and my competitiveness make all the intense playing feel easier than walking at the park, literally. I walk at the park for 45 minutes almost everyday for my daughter's exercise so I know.

As for the other side of the equation, ie eating, just pick a couple meals in the week where you eat much less. But be aware and don't make it up with other meals.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Yanno, if I was married, I would do everything possible to allow my hubby to hit the gym. I say that, because I am a bit of a gym rat myself and I totally understand the desire to stay strong and healthy. How long until the baby is due? I would tell the wife that getting back in shape is a *must* for you, and if she can give you 3 nights a week, it would benefit you both. It's a shame she cannot get her mind into the fitness thing though. It would be very beneficial for her to get into that mindset now, before the baby is born. I belong to a gym that has a childcare center, and believe me I made use of it when my son was little. Does she have any friends that enjoy working out?
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options

You honestly get used to it after awhile.

I'm far from a morning person and I wouldn't even say I'm a particularly disciplined person, but after a while it just becomes habit.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

I am NOT selling anything (I know there are a lot of trolls out there that will look for posts like this and try to force stuff down your throat) HOWEVER, that said....Beachbody has Body Beast. It is a workout program for lifting weights and bulking (AT HOME!!) and the workouts are 30 min, comes with a food plan to guide you and all that jazz.

Its a suggestion, you can even look into things like it. But 30 min out of your day instead of 1.5 hours is a HUGE difference.

• lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You honestly get used to it after awhile.

I'm far from a morning person and I wouldn't even say I'm a particularly disciplined person, but after a while it just becomes habit.

Same here. I don't like getting up early but I do it a few days out of the week because it's a great start to my day, and I have fitness goals. I love to walk, and I do walk a lot, but that alone won't help me reach the goals that I have. So I make a few small modifications to my life, such as waking up earlier to go to the gym before work.

That's not the only time to work out, and you don't have to go to the gym to exercise, but that's what I do.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've found that you have to find something you enjoy doing to keep doing it. I've tried early morning routines and while it's OK for every now and then, regularly doesn't do it for me. I'm not a morning person. I felt guilty when I used to go to the gym in the evenings as I wasn't spending time with my hubby, but he understood it was something I needed to do for me and was supportive. I now have kids and don't work full-time so can luckily fit the gym into the day.

• Moopiemim
    Moopiemim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try rebounding with ankle and arm weights while watching tv or listening to some tunes. Add intermittent fasting, eating clean when you do. After years of doing everything else and watching pounds creep back, this is what has kept pounds off, prediabetes, high triglycerides etc. A thing of the past.