dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    JLAJ81 wrote: »
    I'm just allergic to Americans

You broke my heart
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    If yours table don't look like this, yous be doin sumtin wong!

bc294f50c8c93eb74e5fe2a8717a26e1.jpg

:D my diet right there lol
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've gotten sick from traveling from one USA region, Texas, to other USA regions, both Hawaii and Pennsylvania. I thought it was viruses.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's just American food. If you are used to eating certain foods, then go to a different country, your stomach may not know how to handle it. I lived in Japan when I was a kid. The first year I was there I was constantly getting an upset stomach. It is just how our body reacts to different foods.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Alright so idk where this post should go under so putting it here,
    No health issues before my year abroad in America then one year later I develop intolerances and allergies whilst being in USA, mostly dairy but also the additives which are banned in the U.K., has this ever happened to anyone else ?? I'm not hating I'm just genuinely curious as I have to get some medical procedures done from the negatives effects of American food in my body now that I'm back in England

Like I said I'm not hating, everyone has a different digestion tolerance etc but my doctor acts like I'm the only person this has happened to

I gained 5 pounds in Europe when I was there. The food must be more fattening than America.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    It must be all the poison they put in the dairy
  • strawberrysnap
    strawberrysnap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! And yup mostly dairy! But I'm not lactose intolerant anywhere else
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have lived in the states my whole life. I have health issues, and have developed a lot of intolerances over time - beans, wheat, gluten, dairy, the list goes on. If I eat some of the more serious offenders like bread, I just want to keel for the next few days/weeks. However, when I visit my family in Egypt, I can eat a whole lot of pita bread and falafel with minimal issues. In my n=1 experience, the issue is more with the way that food is made and processed more than the food itself. It really sucks.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I'm allergic to fuzzy elitists who generalize an entire country of over 300 million people. I might be alone in this.

I generally experience gastric distress regardless of where I travel, due to whatever changes (or it could simply be the travel). That said, I acknowledge that many European countries have much stricter regulations for what can go into packaged food (and probably non-packaged). Like healthcare for the entire country and mass transit, the size of the U.S. makes a lot of things different than the size of smaller countries. At least that's my guess as to why this issue may exist.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Alright so idk where this post should go under so putting it here,
    No health issues before my year abroad in America then one year later I develop intolerances and allergies whilst being in USA, mostly dairy but also the additives which are banned in the U.K., has this ever happened to anyone else ?? I'm not hating I'm just genuinely curious as I have to get some medical procedures done from the negatives effects of American food in my body now that I'm back in England

Like I said I'm not hating, everyone has a different digestion tolerance etc but my doctor acts like I'm the only person this has happened to

I'm in the USA...my kids have food allergies and I've read up on it a little bit (mine have tree nut allergies). I'm fairly certain that you aren't the only person this has happened to through reading basically random anecdotal accounts (I know what that means, it's no proof)...and I'm also not surprised your doctor has no idea what is going on.

Unfortunately, food allergies are complex and I don't think the experts really know everything we'd like to know about them...yet.

I have a feeling that your problem is going to go away, but I can't articulate exactly why. I hope whatever medical procedure you have to deal with becomes resolved. It could have been an environmental or additive thing that you aren't going to be able to deal with...but you just can't prove it and you're never going to know.

If your milk works over there...just drink it and be happy. That's about all I could say.
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    Find it very funny how a few people think this is all psych issues- Mate would I really be having surgery to operate my stomach if I was just mentally assuming lol
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    dc8066 wrote: »

You broke my heart

Why?!?!!
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    We love to ingest poison and garbage in the states. This is why we have so many health problems.
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options

I'm allergic to fuzzy elitists who generalize an entire country of over 300 million people. I might be alone in this.

I generally experience gastric distress regardless of where I travel, due to whatever changes (or it could simply be the travel). That said, I acknowledge that many European countries have much stricter regulations for what can go into packaged food (and probably non-packaged). Like healthcare for the entire country and mass transit, the size of the U.S. makes a lot of things different than the size of smaller countries. At least that's my guess as to why this issue may exist.

I'm definitely allergic to you
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    The fact that so much of the food is available nation wide is not generalising- same brands exist all across America
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    I wasn't even trying to stir anything I was genuinely asking for advice but there is always one person who has to be critical lol , but thank you to the people who shared their experiences !
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    We love to ingest poison and garbage in the states. This is why we have so many health problems.

didn't you mean: Delicious Health Problems ??
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    OP, I don't think you are crazy or are imagining it. I have heard that people in other countries don't have problems with a lot of foods that we do here in the US. Gluten is a huge source of stomach problems for people here, but I have heard they can eat similar foods in other countries and not have these issues. We mass produce everything here. It is always done to make more money and make things faster or more efficient. I don't believe our health is the #1 priority. Big business getting their $$ is more important than the quality of our food

I only eat what I grow or harvest here at home.

Lunch today will be some green looking paste that I scrape from the bottom of the vegetable drawer of our refrigerator.