• AllisonS79
    AllisonS79 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    AllisonS79 wrote: »
    Have you tried tricep dips using a chair?

Yes and that is when I felt it the next day between my shoulder blades instead ☹️

Dips on a bench or step are problematic to begin with. Most people have excessive horizontal movement with dips. I prefer assisted dips if you are at a gym.

Shoulder fatigue/pain usually means you are not maintaining scapular control during the dip. The only thing moving should be your arms-you should not be using shoulders or upper back for leverage.

Forearm fatigue during kickbacks is likely due to trying to "lift" the weight with your hands, too much weight, or both.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My question would be why are you focused on such a small muscle? Are you training for a competition or just working out to get fit?
  • AllisonS79
    Options
    My question would be why are you focused on such a small muscle? Are you training for a competition or just working out to get

To get fit overall. I want to gain strength and muscle. I'm not trying to get "built" just toned. I'm 37 yrs old and if women don't do strength training we lose muscle mass as we age. I'm working my upper and lower body. This is the one place I am having trouble with and I recently read that so many people focus on the biceps but that the triceps actually make up a bigger part of your arm. I don't want to neglect that whole part of my arm.
  • AllisonS79
    Options
    To get fit overall. I want to gain strength and muscle. I'm not trying to get "built" just toned. I'm 37 yrs old and if women don't do strength training we lose muscle mass as we age. I'm working my upper and lower body. This is the one place I am having trouble with and I recently read that so many people focus on the biceps but that the triceps actually make up a bigger part of your arm. I don't want to neglect that whole part of my arm.
  • AllisonS79
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Have you tried tricep dips using a chair?

Yes and that is when I felt it the next day between my shoulder blades instead ☹️

Dips on a bench or step are problematic to begin with. Most people have excessive horizontal movement with dips. I prefer assisted dips if you are at a gym.

Shoulder fatigue/pain usually means you are not maintaining scapular control during the dip. The only thing moving should be your arms-you should not be using shoulders or upper back for leverage.

Forearm fatigue during kickbacks is likely due to trying to "lift" the weight with your hands, too much weight, or both.

Ok, cool, thanks.
  • JohnnyPenso
    Options
    If that's the case I'd suggest doing more compound lifts instead to build more overall strength and get more work in per unit of time. Assisted dips are great for the triceps for example but also for the shoulders and back at the same time. Bench press and a dumbell overhead press are also good.

• broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options

That is right the tricep has ALOT to do with making your arms look bigger. Not to mention strengthening it benefits on so many other work outs. Really just keep at it. When you do any workout just try to focus on your tricep doing the work. It's a little difficult when you first start but that whole mind to muscle connection thing which takes time. It could also be your form but without actually seeing you workout I can't judge.

Reminds me of cable rows or any rowing type movement. It took me a while when I first started to actually get the mind muscle connection, bring it up cause its my most memorable body part that it occurred with. I would leave back day with my biceps pretty sore and not feeling it in my back. Flash forward to now when I do the movements I focus on my back and it feels completely different.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I recently read that so many people focus on the biceps but that the triceps actually make up a bigger part of your arm. I don't want to neglect that whole part of my arm.

You won't neglect anything if you follow a proven strength program designed by a pro, such as NROLFW, Stronglifts, a personal trainer's plan, etc. Self-designed programs frequently end up imbalanced. :+1:
  • AllisonS79
    Options
    If that's the case I'd suggest doing more compound lifts instead to build more overall strength and get more work in per unit of time. Assisted dips are great for the triceps for example but also for the shoulders and back at the same time. Bench press and a dumbell overhead press are also good.

Ok, thanks!
  • AllisonS79
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I recently read that so many people focus on the biceps but that the triceps actually make up a bigger part of your arm. I don't want to neglect that whole part of my arm.

You won't neglect anything if you follow a proven strength program designed by a pro, such as NROLFW, Stronglifts, a personal trainer's plan, etc. Self-designed programs frequently end up imbalanced. :+1:

Thank you. That's a good point. I really should follow a program. I used to do Chalene Extreme (beach body) which involved heavy weights, fewer/slower reps, squats and lunges. Then I had some lower back problems and had to stop. Now that I'm feeling better, I started doing some cardio and decided to add some weights without really following the program… Thanks for the advice.
  • AllisonS79
    Options

That is right the tricep has ALOT to do with making your arms look bigger. Not to mention strengthening it benefits on so many other work outs. Really just keep at it. When you do any workout just try to focus on your tricep doing the work. It's a little difficult when you first start but that whole mind to muscle connection thing which takes time. It could also be your form but without actually seeing you workout I can't judge.

Reminds me of cable rows or any rowing type movement. It took me a while when I first started to actually get the mind muscle connection, bring it up cause its my most memorable body part that it occurred with. I would leave back day with my biceps pretty sore and not feeling it in my back. Flash forward to now when I do the movements I focus on my back and it feels completely different.

Yes! I know what you mean. The same happened to me when I was doing bridge exercises in physical therapy. I was only feeling it in my hamstrings, which was not the goal LOL. By shifting more weight to my heels and squeezing my glutes, I was able to focus on using The right muscles and I got better results.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    I think its important not to move the arm plus visualize the muscle being used, plus flexing helps achieve the pump, and are you going to exhaustion? If you just doing 10 reps for x amount of sets because someone told you to, that never works for me and if you're using a weight that's too light its not going to give you that pump you're trying to achieve. I'm just saying...
  • JohnnyPenso
    Options
    Thank you. That's a good point. I really should follow a program. I used to do Chalene Extreme (beach body) which involved heavy weights, fewer/slower reps, squats and lunges. Then I had some lower back problems and had to stop. Now that I'm feeling better, I started doing some cardio and decided to add some weights without really following the program… Thanks for the advice.
    In the absence of pre-existing back issues you likely had a problem with your back because you went too heavy too fast and perhaps were not following a well rounded program that involved the proper compound lifts and routines to build back strength. You should start much lighter than you can lift and perfect your form and get all the smaller muscles working as well, while consistently increasing the weights on a regular basis until you begin to approach your limit. If you're doing barbell rows, chin up and bench pressing your arms and triceps in particular will look great, have no fear, but more importantly you'll have overall, functional strength and fitness from head to toe.