Was recommended not to do Stronglifts..

Options

Replies

• chiltonenator
    chiltonenator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't let people in the gym tell you what to do. There's a lot of bro-science and myths floating around, and every meathead thinks they're an expert. Do your research, listen to your body, and ignore bro experts giving out free advice.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Do what feels best to you. The key component in this is consistency. You see it all the time someone who has a very bad training routine but looks good cause they are consistent. If you enjoy doing stronglifts do that but if you enjoy your friends method do that. No one routine is the best route and im a firm believe in doing what YOU enjoy.

Yes, no and maybe to this.

Consistency, yes. You need consistency to achieve results because it's a long process.

No, I haven't seen anyone who does a "bad routine" who looks good because s/he does it consistently. Just the opposite.

Doing a "bad routine" consistently will simply achieve consistently bad results.

Have to disagree here, most bros doing brotines and brosplits get consistently good results with a bad routine.

They get them slower than if they were doing a good routine, but they still get good results. Now, they're not getting the great results they would get from a good routine, and they'll still get smoked on the big 3 by a 55kg female who lifts smart and heavy, but they're happily swole.

What if their goal is to be happily swole rather than maxing out on the Big 3 lifts?

[ETA:] I don't disagree that one will get better results on a soundly designed program, that's certainly true. But I don't agree with the frequently expressed sentiment that SS/SL5x5 is the One True Answer for everybody who wants to lift.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    As a person who TRAINS many a newbie to lifting every month, there is NO VALID REASON for you to go with his recommendation. I would have went with Stronglifts and if he's as good as you think, he should be able to correctly give feedback on form of the exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't let people in the gym tell you what to do. There's a lot of bro-science and myths floating around, and every meathead thinks they're an expert. Do your research, listen to your body, and ignore bro experts giving out free advice.

This made me laugh cause meathead in question is her life partner. We all know things, we're all meatheads!

@ninerbuff I agree as that echos what I said few pages back.

Like brocean said if it makes you feel good go for it! Personally, I'd find the most efficient workout for myself and that's the push/pull routine 3 times in the gym a week...for now.

Good luck OP and anybody else looking to do SL, or not.

• kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    As a person who TRAINS many a newbie to lifting every month, there is NO VALID REASON for you to go with his recommendation. I would have went with Stronglifts and if he's as good as you think, he should be able to correctly give feedback on form of the exercises.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So as a person with average goals, not looking to get "Swole"/muscular/compete, just looking for a workout with weights that I enjoy, you are saying the Push/Pull workouts he is helping me with are totally not beneficial to me?

After both workouts session with him, I feel great. Sore in all the right areas. I really feel like I accomplished a lot.

I know I will get bashed for this, but like I said. I plan on staying with his routine for atleast a month. I actually really enjoyed this past week. More than I ever have a workout. After I get a handle on the workouts, muscle groups, etc, I will move on. But I just fail to see his method right now as detrimental in any way. Isn't lifting anything (given its in correct form), better than not lifting at all?

Last night we did a bunch of things.

I deadlifted 115lbs 5x5, lat pull downs, military press, cable rows, bicep curls, and even ran a half a mile, walked half a mile (easing back into the running slowly since I havent ran in so long). I felt GREAT after my workout. He spent a lot of time ensuring I had good form while deadlifting, also.
  • kenzienal
    Options
    yoherbs421 wrote: »

This made me laugh cause meathead in question is her life partner. We all know things, we're all meatheads!

@ninerbuff I agree as that echos what I said few pages back.

Like brocean said if it makes you feel good go for it! Personally, I'd find the most efficient workout for myself and that's the push/pull routine 3 times in the gym a week...for now.

Good luck OP and anybody else looking to do SL, or not.

It kinda makes me laugh too. I have dealt with PLENTY of meatheads in my past experiences at the gym, and my boyfriend doesnt fall into that category to me lol. Hes very quiet at the gym, does his routine and keeps to himself. He even offered me to meet a girl he's friends with so she can help me build a program fitted to me, if I was hesitant on what he had me doing. He's never claimed to be an expert, he just says hes learned through trial and error. He's definitely confident in what he knows, but he has said many times thats what works for HIM, may not be best for me.

But he said the same as most people here. We will try it for a few months, and adjust from there.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So as a person with average goals, not looking to get "Swole"/muscular/compete, just looking for a workout with weights that I enjoy, you are saying the Push/Pull workouts he is helping me with are totally not beneficial to me?

After both workouts session with him, I feel great. Sore in all the right areas. I really feel like I accomplished a lot.

I know I will get bashed for this, but like I said. I plan on staying with his routine for atleast a month. I actually really enjoyed this past week. More than I ever have a workout. After I get a handle on the workouts, muscle groups, etc, I will move on. But I just fail to see his method right now as detrimental in any way. Isn't lifting anything (given its in correct form), better than not lifting at all?

I deadlifted 115lbs 5x5, lat pull downs, military press, cable rows, bicep curls, and even ran a half a mile, walked half a mile (easing back into the running slowly since I havent ran in so long). I felt GREAT after my workout. He spent a lot of time ensuring I had good form while deadlifting, also.

Sounds like you got bit by the bug! Correct form is huge you're fortunate to have your man check it! And I like the choice of exercises, deadlifting 115 and just starting out...your trainer will have you double that on a very short time! Congrats!

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Looks like you've made up your mind and like the work out provided by your friend. Why are you still looking for validation here? You like the work out, you like the company, you like your results, you can see yourself continuing with the plan, What's the problem?

"I deadlifted 115lbs 5x5"... "military press" (any real difference from SL's overhead press?)... "cable rows" (any real difference from bent over rows?) Looks similar to SL 5x5.

I ascribe to the school of compound lifts using free weights (barbells, dumbbells, kettle bells). You'll get as many opinions of what a "good" workout should be as there are those giving opinions. Do what you like that works for you and be happy.
  • kenzienal
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Looks like you've made up your mind and like the work out provided by your friend. Why are you still looking for validation here? You like the work out, you like the company, you like your results, you can see yourself continuing with the plan, What's the problem?

"I deadlifted 115lbs 5x5"... "military press" (any real difference from SL's overhead press?)... "cable rows" (any real difference from bent over rows?) Looks similar to SL 5x5.

I ascribe to the school of compound lifts using free weights (barbells, dumbbells, kettle bells). You'll get as many opinions of what a "good" workout should be as there are those giving opinions. Do what you like that works for you and be happy.

I didnt know replying to comments directed at me was looking for validation. I thought I was conversating. My bad?

Yes it is very similar to SL 5x5, but it has taken squats out. I will add in leg presses probably next week, but weighted squats are not on the agenda. you will have to look through the thread on my reasonings why, as I have already mentioned.
    yoherbs421 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Sounds like you got bit by the bug! Correct form is huge you're fortunate to have your man check it! And I like the choice of exercises, deadlifting 115 and just starting out...your trainer will have you double that on a very short time! Congrats!

They started me with the 45lb bar for deadlifts and I knew it was entirely too light. I did 95lbs a few times and wasnt going to push myself farther but they upped it once more to the 115lbs and I realized that it wasnt much of a struggle either. The numbers are so intimidating, but also kind of exciting. I never knew I could lift that much! Whenever they add more weight I immediately think "I cant do that!", but once I try it, I have surprised myself.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's great. If the program fit's nicely in your life, you enjoy it, means you spend quality time with your boyfriend and you get the required results then ignore the naysayers and stick with it.

Good luck.
  • avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    "...how do you feel about his recommendation not to do Strong-lifts due to working too many muscle groups in one day?"

I've only skimmed through some of the responses to try to avoid being redundant. My 2 cents: When I told my friends who lift that I was starting Strong Lifts, they all said that it was awesome for a beginner because of the structure (3x/wk & multiple groups), but also because they know I am more focused on getting stronger. I mean my boyfriend thought I was crazy, but then he realized it was right for me. The weight loss will come, but more muscle now would make me happy. I don't know what your goals are or what was posted in your other thread.

As someone with a crappy knee, I will say that doing sumo squats and Romanian deadlifts helped me a lot. Like a whole lot. Like to the point where even though I've fallen off the lifting wagon, I'm still able to do things my one knee wouldn't let me do before. So hopefully that helps you a bit. The one thing I will say is that SL gets boring after a while and that's part of how I fell off the wagon. So maybe you'll have better success with his recommendation. Either way, have fun!
  • avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Have to disagree here, most bros doing brotines and brosplits get consistently good results with a bad routine.

They get them slower than if they were doing a good routine, but they still get good results. Now, they're not getting the great results they would get from a good routine, and they'll still get smoked on the big 3 by a 55kg female who lifts smart and heavy, but they're happily swole.

LMFAO yes. I have a friend who looks great but the man is weak tbh. He should be way stronger with the amount of time he spends in the gym. It's all brotines for show to get the ladies lol

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    tattygun wrote: »
    That's great. If the program fit's nicely in your life, you enjoy it, means you spend quality time with your boyfriend and you get the required results then ignore the naysayers and stick with it.

Good luck.

This^! I agree 100%

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

I would say the main benefit of overhead press and barbell rows compared to those is that you need to stabilize yourself (so you are using extra muscles in your core and legs than if you are are sitting on a bench).

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In addition to my previous reply, this does not necessarily mean that I think StrongLifts is the answer for you, I just wanted to lay out why I think a full body type of setup will be far superior for you. There are plenty of ways to program a full body routine without doing SL.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Depending on what time you go the gym, you might also want to take into consideration which pieces of equipment are more utilized as a deciding factor (ie will you have to wait longer for the barbell or the dumbbells or the cables or the bench,...)