Restaurants are killer for weight loss!

Options
OMG Here we go again! Back to where I started more or less--212.6 and I was down to 207 just 14 days ago! When will I learn to STOP eating out at restaurants!! The sodium is killer! And with my heart I should know better!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    or just drink a bit more water...
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Just keep the salt down and drink some water and most of it will probably come off in the next week or so. I didn't weigh myself today because I had lots of pizza yesterday and new I'd be up a few pounds just from water weight.
  • juanwilly
    juanwilly Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I drink almost 5000 ml (170 ounces) (1.4 gal +/-) daily--you mean more than that?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    juanwilly wrote: »

I drink almost 5000 ml (170 ounces) (1.4 gal +/-) daily--you mean more than that?

and sodium still affects your weight loss?
  • juanwilly
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Absolutely, that's my story and I am sticking to it! At least for a day or two until I cleanse! How do you lose your weight, friend? You don't think restaurants load our food with salt and more? They readily admit that they do!
  • juanwilly
    Options
    Just keep the salt down and drink some water and most of it will probably come off in the next week or so. I didn't weigh myself today because I had lots of pizza yesterday and new I'd be up a few pounds just from water weight.

I agree! But I can't help but weigh in every day! My bad....

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, that's my story and I am sticking to it! At least for a day or two until I cleanse! How do you lose your weight, friend? You don't think restaurants load our food with salt and more? They readily admit that they do!

Cleanse?

I lose weight by eating less calories than my body needs. I salt everything because I like salt. I lose just fine. Make better choices at the restaurants, don't make them your excuse for not getting the results you want, you choose what to put in your mouth.
  • juanwilly
    Options

Cleanse?

I lose weight by eating less calories than my body needs. I salt everything because I like salt. I lose just fine. Make better choices at the restaurants, don't make them your excuse for not getting the results you want, you choose what to put in your mouth.

Cleanse as in sweating during today's run and drinking my daily water allotment to flush out the bad stuff!! Not my only excuse but one of them is sodium added for certain! Where is your pic to evaluate your weight loss?

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    My issue with restaurants isn't the sodium, it is more about having a harder time counting my calories because I don't feel like I am getting an accurate count (even when the menu states calories). Plus, I can usually make a similar menu item at home for less calories and I have more control over the ingredients.

I have found it much easier to just make my own meals and reduce how often I eat at restaurants. I went from eating out nearly everyday to eating out maybe once every week or two weeks. Sometimes, DH and I even "challenge" each other to not eat out for extended periods of time (like a month). Those challenges are eye opening because it forces us to get more creative at home and it REALLY helps our budget. So, win-win.

Also, OP, what are you "cleansing" from exactly? Don't buy into the "cleanse" hype, just stay hydrated and get back on track with your goals.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Cleanse?

Cleanse as in sweating during today's run and drinking my daily water allotment to flush out the bad stuff!! Not my only excuse but one of them is sodium added for certain! Where is your pic to evaluate your weight loss?

You need to evaluate my weight loss? How about 3 state titles in bodybuilding, and placing at national competition.... Good enough for you?
  • juanwilly
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    My issue with restaurants isn't the sodium, it is more about having a harder time counting my calories because I don't feel like I am getting an accurate count (even when the menu states calories). Plus, I can usually make a similar menu item at home for less calories and I have more control over the ingredients.

I have found it much easier to just make my own meals and reduce how often I eat at restaurants. I went from eating out nearly everyday to eating out maybe once every week or two weeks. Sometimes, DH and I even "challenge" each other to not eat out for extended periods of time (like a month). Those challenges are eye opening because it forces us to get more creative at home and it REALLY helps our budget. So, win-win.

Also, OP, what are you "cleansing" from exactly? Don't buy into the "cleanse" hype, just stay hydrated and get back on track with your goals.
    Very true and I concur! I explained my "cleanse" method above! Thanks for input!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what are you eating at restaurants? If I make good selections I can do okay but if I start eating the calorie full salads, bread and fries its game over.
  • planetcadillac
    planetcadillac Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There is a limit to the amount of water you should drink, unless you are extremely active outdoors and sweat a lot. I bicycle a lot and drink about 1/2 gallon a day. I average about 1,800mg salt daily/week with a max of 2,300 daily.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »

Very true and I concur! I explained my "cleanse" method above! Thanks for input!

Gotcha....when I saw cleanse, my first thought was some kind of pills, woo or magic concoction that doesn't really do much.
  • juanwilly
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Just curious, what are you eating at restaurants? If I make good selections I can do okay but if I start eating the calorie full salads, bread and fries its game over.
    I must admit that yesterday I made some bad choices. I opted for the grilled tenderloin sand plus fries, not good! But today I start anew! It I hard to make good choices when dining out--not much on the menu. What do you recommend choosing?

BTW, your weight loss is impressive as per your photos!

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Focus on fat loss rather than water weight. Water weight means nothing to the long term process unless you have a medical condition that requires monitoring of water weight.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Rather just eat at home. After buying a akorn kamado I find I much prefer the flavor of the food that comes off it. Plus easier to log my meal when I'm making it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Restaurants CAN be killer IF you cannot control yourself. I will agree with that.

But it's not impossible.

Since last Saturday, I've eaten 5 restaurant meals. Even with all that, I've lost a pound and a half this week.
  • planetcadillac
    planetcadillac Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you are careful at restaurants and you account for it in your logging you can make it work. No Fettuccine Alfredo from Olive Garden. I went to Wendy's Wednesday and it worked out well.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It depends where you live and where you can eat, though.
    Laughing Planet cafe, Freshii, Applebees, Ice Age meals, Cultured Caveman, pretty much any Mediterranean/Thai/Cuban/Japanese restaurant have great options if you know what to get.

I usually look for paleo restaurants or veggie heavy "bowl" type meals. And while traveling, even a place like panda express has pretty budget-able options if you opt for a less sauce-y protein over veggies instead of rice.