Asking someone out at the gym or getting him to ask me??

Options
13»

Replies

• captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    I keep learning that the guys who chat me up in the gym are married. Lots of married men don't wear their rings to the gym, especially if they lift. So be careful and maybe make small talk that would get you some additional intel as to his status first
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Ask the trainers he's friends with if he's spoken for. Word will get back to him fast. Then he'll ask you out if he wants to. Do not ask him out.

Good idea. Find out if he's married. Tons of people ditch their rings at the gym.

one of the perks of having a ring tattoo imo.

I want to do this
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    What if it turns bad then u have to go to a new gym?

Yup. I've seen this happen several times over the 25+ years that I have been going to gyms. Guy hooks up with girl, it doesn't work out, guy tells some of his buddies how he F'd the girl in the yoga pants on the stair climber, and it spreads like wildfire. Before you know it, the story changes a few times and the girl in the yoga pants is well known as being the gym ho. That's why I would tell any woman not to hook up with guys from the gym. But to each their own....

Just because you go on a few dates with someone doesn't mean you're going to hook up with them. Even if things don't work out you should be able to walk into that gym with your head held high. I have dated guys from my gyms before and after ending it I have never had to quit that gym. Dating and hooking up are two very different things.

Do you hook up first or date first?
    It's been so long for me, I forgot
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    " Hey want to grab a coffee"

Pretty simple IMHO.

Some guy asked me that once at the gym. I said "yes, there's a DD next door, fat free milk and Splenda please".
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Try and leave at the same time as him and then make a casual comment about your workout and how you're craving a coffee/ice cream and where would he suggest, you could go as far as ask what's his plans for the evening : all you're doing is making casual conversation but it's giving him an opportunity to invite himself, just 2 people with a mutual interest having a coffee, not a 'date'.

I went out to lunch with my gym crush this way. I didn't really time it on purpose but we were finally leaving at the same time and both going to lunch...and he bought :)

And how did it go?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    JLAJ81 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Try and leave at the same time as him and then make a casual comment about your workout and how you're craving a coffee/ice cream and where would he suggest, you could go as far as ask what's his plans for the evening : all you're doing is making casual conversation but it's giving him an opportunity to invite himself, just 2 people with a mutual interest having a coffee, not a 'date'.

I went out to lunch with my gym crush this way. I didn't really time it on purpose but we were finally leaving at the same time and both going to lunch...and he bought :)

And how did it go?

It was fun. He goes back and forth to the west coast. I asked him to take me with him...he said "don't tempt me" :)

• LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options

Yup. I've seen this happen several times over the 25+ years that I have been going to gyms. Guy hooks up with girl, it doesn't work out, guy tells some of his buddies how he F'd the girl in the yoga pants on the stair climber, and it spreads like wildfire. Before you know it, the story changes a few times and the girl in the yoga pants is well known as being the gym ho. That's why I would tell any woman not to hook up with guys from the gym. But to each their own....

Just because you go on a few dates with someone doesn't mean you're going to hook up with them. Even if things don't work out you should be able to walk into that gym with your head held high. I have dated guys from my gyms before and after ending it I have never had to quit that gym. Dating and hooking up are two very different things.

I agree with this 100%
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options

What's this dating and hooking up thing you are talking about?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Wait??? The gym isn't a place to pick up hot. Sexy, sweaty babes who take healthy living seriously? Then WHERE the *kitten*!!!am I supposed to "shop"? Oh... wait the bar? Ummm no thanks... have you seen the bars stars these days?... ine word...WOW... and not the good wow
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Ok so there is a good looking guy about my age in the gym. I run into him about three times a week. He is nice always says hi and asks me how the workout is going. He is clearly friends with two of the trainers and has at times left conversations with them to come over and say hi.
    In a bar I know what I would do to either ask him out or get him to ask me out. But in the gym where honestly I look sweaty and red faced not sexy and where it is technically not a pick up place how do you either get a man to ask you out or ask him out without violating the gym etiquette?

While this sounds promising, I think what you should do depends on your personality and how you may react to being turned down. If it's no big deal to you, absolutely go ahead and ask him to do something. If potentially being turned down would affect your comfort level seeing him in the gym in the future, I wouldn't go there. Just stay friendly, see what happens and keep the environment pleasant for you to be in.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    ...... going out for coffee sure got complicated, didn't it?
  • LKjourney
    LKjourney Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm a hopeless romantic and a sucker for a good love story so I hope y'all go out on a wonderful coffee date (as others have suggested) and fall in love and live happily ever after!

I totally get the gym/bar comparison lol I cant even make eye contact in the gym so kudos to you for even saying hello!
    I would try and go beyond the "hi" and ask him about something gym related maybe? Then get that friendly banter going and if he's interested (and it sounds like he is!)he'll be sure to make a move!

Please keep us posted! I'm dying to know what happens next!!!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Making this too complicated. Ask him out. If you don't, you'll never know. If he says yes. Great. If he say no, then you can move on.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Eh forget that. Let's focus on important thinga. You never told me what this rich guy at your gym looks like
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask..

that way,
    years later after a messy divorce

you can always blame us MFP
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Eh forget that. Let's focus on important thinga. You never told me what this rich guy at your gym looks like

I dunno... jeez, I'm a guy so... well, I guess he looked just like an average guy, okay?

*shrug

.... I guess, a lot like this fella:

815f7942ef24a958ff513b086b838ce0.jpg
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    RunTimer wrote: »
    Definitely ask..

that way,
    years later after a messy divorce

you can always blame us MFP

Will you marry me?
    Let's stick to the original plan @lstrat115 , you marry obscenely rich..and take a shizzload of insurance on the geezer..

in the meantime we keep having wild crazy monkeysexy behind his back

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Why can't a man say hello to a woman these days and leave it at that?

If you really like him, you should ask him out. No risk there. But I just think you should know that some humans enjoy positive interaction with their fellow species. I sure hope women aren't getting their hopes up every time a decent bloke initiates small talk (at a gym, no less). Easy there, chica.

• BreezyPeezy5
    BreezyPeezy5 Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Talk to the dude or ask him to spot you or check your form. Then small chat. Ask him how his wife is doing. He will either say something about her or his girlfriend or laugh and say he doesn't have one or he is a player. Lol, either way, you can't win if you don't even attempt.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Ask him if he would like to train with you. Then build from there. Some people find love whilst shopping. No matter where the place you are at, you find someone you like. Do what women do best. Stalk them :lol: