Fat gah!

I started keto, and watching my weight. Now I'm on a tight budget, and only have pasta in the house , so I went ahead and ate all the ice cream. Anyone else want to commiserate at how *kitten* fat we are?!?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    @EarthyEm best of success. I started Keto Oct 2014 and have maintained for two years while health keeps improving.
  • EarthyEm
    EarthyEm Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks @GaleHawkins Congrats & that's inspiring!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    You could have eaten the icecream and pasta without it having a detrimental effect of your weight loss goals.... Just track the amount you're eating.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Good news is, you can make your calories fit your budget and still lose weight!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    A lot of people find sticking to a strict way of eating hard on top of sticking to their calorie limit.

A lot of successful people on MFP find it easier to just eat what satisfies them within their calorie limit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    EarthyEm wrote: »
    I started keto, and watching my weight. Now I'm on a tight budget, and only have pasta in the house , so I went ahead and ate all the ice cream. Anyone else want to commiserate at how *kitten* fat we are?!?

Sounds like you have an issue with all or nothing thinking. So do I, and letting go of that was really important for my success (lost most of my weight in 2014), and yet still is something I struggle with sometimes.

Logging, even if one is not perfect, is important, and calories are important (even on keto), so eating pasta might not have been on your plan (I'm low carbing too, and have had to deal with a few imperfect meals from time to time), but it's really no big deal to be a little off plan, occasionally. What becomes a bigger deal is your head saying "well, screwed up and have to start over anyway, might as well make it count!" Isn't that it? I think what helps with this is seeing a difference between gradients of being imperfect, which probably starts with not having unreasonable expectations of perfection to start with -- that one is perfectly ON or one is 100% OFF.

One thing that helped me was reframing screw ups as not "being off" but as things that happen during a diet (or new lifestyle or whatever) and can be learned from so as to make them less likely in the future. So ideally I would have eaten the pasta (if nothing else was available), but noticed that total carbs were still not crazy, total calories were good, and most important, figured out how it happened I had nothing else available and planned how to prevent that in the future. (Early on in 2014 I got stuck at work for dinner for a couple of weeks and the first night I ate what was available -- not useful -- and then I figured out I could buy things and bring them to work that weren't as good as if I'd planned and premade meals, but were perfectly adequate -- I saw where I'd made things harder and came up with a solution going forward. In the old days I would have said "blew it might as well start again when this stressful period is over.")

I hope that helps, but if it's more venting and commiseration you want, I still really do struggle with the all or nothing thinking even though I know it's illogical, and even though I've largely lost the weight. It's annoying and something I'm continuing to work on!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    EarthyEm wrote: »

I'm not *kitten* fat, so i can't commiserate.

What i will say is that having a negative self image, creating "good and bad" foods, and eating in a manner which is not sustainable long term is going to get in the way of your success and maintenance.

I would sit down and think really hard about what you hope to achieve and what your life is going to be like when you achieve that. Then ask yourself if it's realistic. One of the worst things you can do for your physical and mental wellbeing is to focus on perfectionism and self-hatred.