It's it normal to talk to yourself in your head all the time?

Options

Replies

• BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Who else could tolerate me like we I do?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Sure hope it's "normal", I talk to myself all the time...often aloud too.

When typing or writing numbers I always say them aloud because I have a tendency to reverse them and not notice.
    Yes, it's normal. It's only when you start arguing with yourself where you can be overheard that you might need to worry. Apparently that one isn't as normal.

Now then, if you start hearing the voices of other people in your head, you might want to seek professional help.

Sub-vocalizing when you read is normal, too.

On very rare occasions I hear voices...they usually call my name and it sounds so realistic, clear as day, but I'm alone. Usually happens when I falling asleep. Once I heard someone singing - opera or something, it was very quick and short lived.

Oh.... yeah, that was me.

In the bushes, by your driveway.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    i guess. i think you might have a problem if one or more voices start communicating back, or miraculously the dog or cat start talking back to you. Then we have a wee bit of a problem. haha
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    it would be funny if they spoke in a completely different language you couldn't understand or whale talk....oooooo...wwwaaaaaaa......oooooo....
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Sure hope it's "normal", I talk to myself all the time...often aloud too.

When typing or writing numbers I always say them aloud because I have a tendency to reverse them and not notice.
    Yes, it's normal. It's only when you start arguing with yourself where you can be overheard that you might need to worry. Apparently that one isn't as normal.

Now then, if you start hearing the voices of other people in your head, you might want to seek professional help.

Sub-vocalizing when you read is normal, too.

On very rare occasions I hear voices...they usually call my name and it sounds so realistic, clear as day, but I'm alone. Usually happens when I falling asleep. Once I heard someone singing - opera or something, it was very quick and short lived.

Oh.... yeah, that was me.

In the bushes, by your driveway.

Ah, ok...this is good news!

BTW your Italian Opera voice is fantastic! Bravo!
  • mcbeanstr
    mcbeanstr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Might be I am always talking to myself without even realising it
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I think that as long as you do not start having conversations and answering yourself back out loud, its all good.

I have full conversations with myself, especially when I'm working or exercising. People can see my mouth moving (I don't realise I'm doing it) and I'll talk out load to myself.

What's normal anyway? I don't give a hoot what other people think.

• Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal. What isn't normal is when you argue with yourself in your head and you lose.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

very "normal" ... but i'm currently giving myself the silent treatment. it's driving me nuts, so i'm getting the desired effect.
  • 1Workout1Meal1DayAtATime
    Options
    Seems normal to me , I think it how we process our thoughts
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Yes. I sure as hell do it a lot. Lol.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I send myself emails to remind myself of things... where does that fall on the "talking to yourself" spectrum?
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    I send myself emails to remind myself of things... where does that fall on the "talking to yourself" spectrum?

i've got so many links i've emailed myself to read later i'll never read them all
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    Hell I talk to myself out loud sometimes. I find I do it the most in the grocery store.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Depends on the conversation.

"Dammit i need to try harder!" - Normal

"Go on, it'll be easy, you just sharpened this knife this morning, do it! do it! no one will know" - normal

"i love Justin bieber, i just love him" - abnormal.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I had a coworker who would hold entire conversations - q&a - with herself. Out loud. In the office. Personally, I like to keep my crazy buried just a bit deeper than she did.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I talk to myself all the time! My 'inside voice' is all the *kitten* I would say that would probably get me punched.......
  • neilhoopy
    neilhoopy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yeh talk away to yourself....you get some crazy answers though
  • jcass44
    jcass44 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you through the day. Helps me put my thoughts in order.